cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4k nextbox

user1961
I'm Here A Lot

Every time I turn on my 4K NEXTBOX, I have to go to TV appearance and pick ultraHD TV

and the next time I will turn it on again I will have to go trough the same process.

There is no memory of my settings it always start at 720P.

Any solution?

The 4K NEXTBOX is connected to my AVR that support 4K and then to the 4K TV.

***Edited Labels***

149 REPLIES 149

Re: 4k nextbox

wayner92
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Agreed - it is not that big a deal.  Especially since a lot of folks can't tell the difference between HD and UHD - the difference between 2160p and 4K is trivial.

And to come back to my interest - I just want to figure out if capturing the output of a 4K Rogers box at 2160p30 looks good for content like sports.  I don't want to have to give up my SageTV PC based whole-house PVR system as it is way superior to what is offered by Rogers or any other cable/sat distributor.  So I am looking for a path forward into a 4K centric world.

khungus
I Plan to Stick Around

In my opinion, sports look excellent. Sadly, that's all Rogers offers in 4k.  Even sadder, CBC Hockey Night in Canada doesn't broadcast in 4K.  Should you want to watch a Jays or Raptors or Leafs or Oilers game in 4K when its broadcast on TSN or Sportsnet, you are in luck (but ONLY if they are playing at home, where they have 4K cameras). If you want to watch other sports/teams in 4K, or those teams when they are broadcast on another channel, there's no option.  Even the upcoming Superbowl is not available to us.

I've had a 4K box for a year, a 4K TV for a year, the lack of content is really depressing.

That being said, I can instantly tell when I'm watching a game in 4K vs HD.

wayner92

I live in Toronto so for the most part I only care about the Leafs, Raptors and Jays games being in HD, plus the playoffs along with other major events - especially golf majors.  So I think I am in pretty good shape there.

Hopefully the CBC will be moving to 4K - ideally they will start broadcasting in ATSC 3.0 in the near future which should look much better than the 720p that they use today for HNIC.

But I don't think they have yet made any announcements regarding ATSC 3.0

khungus
I Plan to Stick Around

From my experience, no sporting events (playoffs, olympics, golf majors) seem to broadcast in actual 4K on the 4K sports channels... ie: they're upscaling their HD broadcast.

Again, part of my major disappointment - I would have hoped to be able to view playoffs in various leagues and other major events in 4K, regardless of whether they took place at the ACC or Rogers Center.  That doesn't seem to be the case.

wayner92

Some of this stuff is available as there are some major events in 4K:

http://www.masters.com/en_US/news/articles/2017-03-14/watch_the_masters_in_4k_and_virtual_reality.ht...

And I think that all of the Winter Olympic coverage will be in 4K in South Korea as they are on the leading edge with this stuff now.  However I wonder if we will get any of it in 4K?

Surprisingly the US is behind Canada in 4K.  Maybe it helps that Rogers owns all of the sports teams (at least partially) plus the TV sports network (and Bell owns the other one) plus the distribution.  One company (either Rogers or Bell) can call all of the shots.

Square

Hello,

Did any early adopters who first got the 4K box have to change your TV Package?  I mean did anyone with the VIP package, were you able to get 4K?

Thank you.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

VIP does not include the 4K channels, it predates 4K TV.  I see channels 992 to 999 as 4K, but they're either subscription, PPV or off the air.  From what I know, you cannot add additional channels to VIP.  Perhaps it's a way to get customers to switch to one of the new packages.  I'm in the middle of compiling a spreadsheet of all my VIP channels, but with all the duplicates and SD/HD versions, it will still take a while to determine how many unique channels I have.  @User14 has been going through the same exercise to see if the Premier package is a viable alternative because it has the most channels, but at $100 vs. $80 (for me) before taxes, it costs more and I have yet compare the channels. Of course, I'd estimate that I never watch 75% or more of my VIP channels, but it's the best choice for me because it includes 90% of the channels I do want to watch.  Go over to the last few pages of this thread to read more.

But back to the topic, it is my suggestion, and that of others, not to get a 4K box and subscribe to the few 4K channels currently offered unless you like to throw money around. When the majority of channels are 4K would be the time to consider it.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Square

Thank you.   So when 4k came out, only the Select Popular and Premiere packages were available?  So what happens when my 2 year deal is up?, will I keep my VIP package or get the new one? 

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

From my own questioning, and hearing from others - you can stay on the old plan, only if you change absolutely nothing.  You can't add theme paks, extra individual new channels on the old plans - you just go month to month until you change anything.

I had to come off my VIP and moved to popular with a theme pak, one channel add on the bonus channel, and HBO/TMN - price at that point was for one year only, I have to renegotiate in August to see what I already know will possibly be an increase in price if I want to stay the same bundle and features, or I have to reduce to get to the same price.  But in my case, I am cutting way back and going OTA anyway - they have priced me out of TV.

So in summary, you can keep your old package, only if you don't make any changes.

That is my experience and understanding, but you will find out for sure by contacting directly to Communityhelps, or through any of the other contact channels.

Bruce

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Square wrote:

Thank you.   So when 4k came out, only the Select Popular and Premiere packages were available?  So what happens when my 2 year deal is up?, will I keep my VIP package or get the new one? 

You can keep your VIP package as long as you wish, provided Rogers does not arbitrarily discontinue it. I've had mine since 2009 and since it's no longer offered it must be grandfathered. I imagine if Rogers decides to cancel it, they would have to offer me an alternative of equal value. The only problem with it is that there is no mechanism as far Is I can tell for adding additional channels like there is with the new packages.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello everybody. I am pretty sure this has been disproven/debunked in a previous discussion. I remember there was a earlier post about BBC Earth and ppl who were on grandfathered packages wanted it and were told to migrate off their package to an in market package to get it then someone finally confirmed the newer launches channels CAN be added to grandfathered packages and the reps were uneducated on how to do this but some where and did it to some accounts. And we know Rogers cable had their share of negative billing etc from the past.

Let me find the post where someone was on grandfathered tv pkg and was able to add new channels WITHOUT being forced to change to the new teir

DrMike
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Although a bit tangential to some of the thread, I just wanted to tell you my experience with the 4K box. My NextBox 3 developed some issues and I needed to replace it. I asked it I could get the 4K box instead as replacement even thought I do not want and did not subscribe to ANY of the 4K channels.

They replaced my NB3 with the NB4K and I have been using it ever since. It even shows up in my monthly bill as NB3 rental, so for all intents and purposes it is a NB3 rental but I have the benefit of the newer box, better hardware, larger internal drive etc. It is a much nicer piece of hardware that the NB3 by my reckoning.

So even if you do NOT want to pay extra for the 4K programming, you can still get a NB4K instead of a NB3. Or at least I was able to do so.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Pauly That's interesting, but I've never tried it. Until now, just to see.

When I come across an unauthorized channel in the IPG and select it, I always remember seeing the Unauthorized banner the Rogers number to call. But some of those channels pop up a second screen where I can choose to order that channel for prices ranging from $5 to $35. But not all channels. When I select Ch 181 (Fox News) I only get the banner with phone number.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@DrMike Perhaps they are running low on good NextBox 3's.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, the Nextbox 4 PVR is a completely redesigned foundation, firmware designed and built by Technicolor, which is one of the largest suppliers of TV service equipment in Europe and Africa at this time.  Navigatr is layered in there, not as the full feature RDK middle ware between, designed to be a full IPTV box, but it is certainly cutting edge - where Rogers was trying to take things, but then it just didn't scale on the network once they pulled the model for IPTV out into the wild.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks for the update on that @Pauly.  I loved BBC earth, and last year if I had signed up before March 31st, 2017, I could have taken on the single channel at 4.00, then it went to 5.00.

When I phoned in, I was told by various CSR's, and a discussion with management and Office of president, that yes, you could still get it, I held off a week or so, and next I ran into that you could not add any single channel or theme package to a grandfathered plan, then eventually, I was told that I could add the channel in a theme pack only, not as an individual channel, with no impact on my plan.

So you are right - it is one of those that with the changing conditions on what you could do with a grandfathered plan and changing restrictions on a weekly basis it seemed, that they finally settled on the package with it in.

What you cannot do though is add it on line to an old package, you have to move in (at least that is what I was told).  Then I stopped following it, got used to not having the channel, and ended up getting moved off VIP as I had to reduce services costs and the only way I could do that was to .

So you are correct, the position did change over time, but I wouldn't say debunked - the position was very firmly stated to me and I finally just backed off when they did agree that they had decided that we could stay on the old plan, phone in for the change and get it in a theme pack.

So the reality is that what was described did happen - to others reported here, and definitely in many calls and contacts by me, and ultimately the practice did not change.

It is still not clear just what the conditions are, so a clear statement, like we have tried to get on the Pay as You go changes as to what triggers a change in a grandfathered plan, and what options for change you have within a plan that doesn't not trigger a full change in terms length and options, pricing.

So it comes up because a clear statement by Rogers has never been made, much like wasn't made in relation to the Pay as You go change.

So disproven/debunked - not really - clarified, and staff educated to remove confusion, but still never officially made public, but I am used to Rogers rarely coming out with official statements to clarify things like this.

It takes people here and other channels of contact to keep pushing the questions, and finally a consistent pattern develops that gets reported back by customers, not typically by Rogers.

So I agree, you are remembering correctly of what happened.  I was one of those who went through it.  But in my case, decided the package with 5 channels I didn't need to get one was not worth it.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

When I went in to replace my DTA with a digital box as they now describe it in the information (which means, it can be any level of digital box they have in stock). there were no NB3 digital box, and a few NB3 PVR's but lots of NB2's with no PVR stacked up in the cupboard in view and on shelves I could see in the back.

The difference in a 3 and a 2 is quite obvious just by shape and size.

Bruce

jumpman767
I've Been Here Awhile
Nextbox 4K Working and Then Stops Working With My TV

Hi There - Wondering if anyone else has the same issued. Got 2 Rogers boxes for my home set up. PVR for upstairs TV and Nextbox 4K for my TV downstairs. The issue I am having is that the signal comes through when I am watching in the evening on the 4K Box but in the morning when I turn it back on the picture is blank but sound is coming. Using a brand new high end HDMI cable and have a Sony 4K TV. When I reboot the tv works fine but again after watching in the evening for a second day and return in the morning the TV picture is not coming on (black screen) but sound is coming. Reboot and the TV works. I swapped the rogers box twice now. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Is it the HDMI cable -- it is plugged directly into the Rogers 4K Box? PVR box working fine upstairs. Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jumpman767 : Are you turning the TV and the 4K box both off when you're finished?  Sometimes the "handshake" between the two doesn't occur properly when only one is turned on.  Try turning the TV on first (making sure it's off), then the box a few seconds later (or perhaps the other way around). The order that you turn things on can sometimes affect the "handshake", but usually it's TV followed in a few seconds by the box.

jumpman767
I've Been Here Awhile

Yes I am turning both TV and nextbox off at the same time and not leaving one on overnight.  Thanks for your help. Do you think it is the HDMI cable? Rogers Tech said to use the Rogers 2.0 HDMI cable and test it out.

lear1
I've Been Here Awhile

So I've recently purchased a nextbox 4 (cav10455hd). I followed the setup instructions and the box so far has given me zero feedback. The power light is red and the display is lit up but in a static way, not displaying anything. It's been like this for well over an hour now.  Is this normal? I know it has to update or boot, but would I be receiving any feedback from the box if that were the case? Nothing happens when I push any buttons on the remote or on the box itself. There are no videos online to use as a reference. I'm very frustrated.