4k nextbox

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: 4k nextbox

Some of this stuff is available as there are some major events in 4K:

http://www.masters.com/en_US/news/articles/2017-03-14/watch_the_masters_in_4k_and_virtual_reality.ht...

And I think that all of the Winter Olympic coverage will be in 4K in South Korea as they are on the leading edge with this stuff now.  However I wonder if we will get any of it in 4K?

Surprisingly the US is behind Canada in 4K.  Maybe it helps that Rogers owns all of the sports teams (at least partially) plus the TV sports network (and Bell owns the other one) plus the distribution.  One company (either Rogers or Bell) can call all of the shots.

Hello,

Did any early adopters who first got the 4K box have to change your TV Package?  I mean did anyone with the VIP package, were you able to get 4K?

Thank you.

I'm a Senior Advisor

VIP does not include the 4K channels, it predates 4K TV.  I see channels 992 to 999 as 4K, but they're either subscription, PPV or off the air.  From what I know, you cannot add additional channels to VIP.  Perhaps it's a way to get customers to switch to one of the new packages.  I'm in the middle of compiling a spreadsheet of all my VIP channels, but with all the duplicates and SD/HD versions, it will still take a while to determine how many unique channels I have.  @User14 has been going through the same exercise to see if the Premier package is a viable alternative because it has the most channels, but at $100 vs. $80 (for me) before taxes, it costs more and I have yet compare the channels. Of course, I'd estimate that I never watch 75% or more of my VIP channels, but it's the best choice for me because it includes 90% of the channels I do want to watch.  Go over to the last few pages of this thread to read more.

But back to the topic, it is my suggestion, and that of others, not to get a 4K box and subscribe to the few 4K channels currently offered unless you like to throw money around. When the majority of channels are 4K would be the time to consider it.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Thank you.   So when 4k came out, only the Select Popular and Premiere packages were available?  So what happens when my 2 year deal is up?, will I keep my VIP package or get the new one? 

I'm a Senior Advisor

From my own questioning, and hearing from others - you can stay on the old plan, only if you change absolutely nothing.  You can't add theme paks, extra individual new channels on the old plans - you just go month to month until you change anything.

I had to come off my VIP and moved to popular with a theme pak, one channel add on the bonus channel, and HBO/TMN - price at that point was for one year only, I have to renegotiate in August to see what I already know will possibly be an increase in price if I want to stay the same bundle and features, or I have to reduce to get to the same price.  But in my case, I am cutting way back and going OTA anyway - they have priced me out of TV.

So in summary, you can keep your old package, only if you don't make any changes.

That is my experience and understanding, but you will find out for sure by contacting directly to Communityhelps, or through any of the other contact channels.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Square wrote:

Thank you.   So when 4k came out, only the Select Popular and Premiere packages were available?  So what happens when my 2 year deal is up?, will I keep my VIP package or get the new one? 

You can keep your VIP package as long as you wish, provided Rogers does not arbitrarily discontinue it. I've had mine since 2009 and since it's no longer offered it must be grandfathered. I imagine if Rogers decides to cancel it, they would have to offer me an alternative of equal value. The only problem with it is that there is no mechanism as far Is I can tell for adding additional channels like there is with the new packages.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello everybody. I am pretty sure this has been disproven/debunked in a previous discussion. I remember there was a earlier post about BBC Earth and ppl who were on grandfathered packages wanted it and were told to migrate off their package to an in market package to get it then someone finally confirmed the newer launches channels CAN be added to grandfathered packages and the reps were uneducated on how to do this but some where and did it to some accounts. And we know Rogers cable had their share of negative billing etc from the past.

Let me find the post where someone was on grandfathered tv pkg and was able to add new channels WITHOUT being forced to change to the new teir

I'm a Senior Contributor

Although a bit tangential to some of the thread, I just wanted to tell you my experience with the 4K box. My NextBox 3 developed some issues and I needed to replace it. I asked it I could get the 4K box instead as replacement even thought I do not want and did not subscribe to ANY of the 4K channels.

They replaced my NB3 with the NB4K and I have been using it ever since. It even shows up in my monthly bill as NB3 rental, so for all intents and purposes it is a NB3 rental but I have the benefit of the newer box, better hardware, larger internal drive etc. It is a much nicer piece of hardware that the NB3 by my reckoning.

So even if you do NOT want to pay extra for the 4K programming, you can still get a NB4K instead of a NB3. Or at least I was able to do so.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Pauly That's interesting, but I've never tried it. Until now, just to see.

When I come across an unauthorized channel in the IPG and select it, I always remember seeing the Unauthorized banner the Rogers number to call. But some of those channels pop up a second screen where I can choose to order that channel for prices ranging from $5 to $35. But not all channels. When I select Ch 181 (Fox News) I only get the banner with phone number.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@DrMike Perhaps they are running low on good NextBox 3's.