4k nextbox

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: 4k nextbox

4 K Black Screen

I have had occasions in which Channels like CBS on Channel 13 is set to record but there is no video or audio when the channel is displayed and thus a blank screen is recorded. In checking the equivalent channel in the 500 range, the show is displayed properly. This situation causes a lot or frustration when a number of shows are scheduled to recording and you have to check to make sure it is recording properly. I have also received messages on some channels such as the Local Rogers Channel and the Weather Network stating I was not subscribed to these channels. Again the normal solution is to trade the box but after 6 exchanges with the 3.0 Box I am not anxious to start that again and lose my recorded shows.   

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@WallysWorld: Although boxes are often exchanged, the issue is rarely the box. It is often the signal in your home or in your neighbourhood.  See the following post on the topic:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

Hello @WallysWorld,

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! =)

The audio and video issues you are experiencing sounds pretty frustrating especially if it has caused you to miss some of your favourite TV shows already.

Regarding the issues with the Volume, it's important to keep in mind that the NextBox has its own volume that is independent of the TV volume. You will need to change the volume lock to the Cable Box on the Rogers Remote to test this. Follow the steps below to change the Volume lock to the Cable Box.

1. Press and hold SETUP until the mode key blinks twice.
2. Press the VOLUME UP key.
3. Press the mode key for the device you wish to use for volume control In this case press the CABLE BUTTON. The key will blink twice to confirm.

Once you have done this press Volume up and you should see a different volume bar appear on the screen. I recommend putting the Cable box Volume to the max and then control the TV volume only. Once the Volume is to the max for the Cable box you can follow the steps above again but press the TV BUTTON on the 3rd step to lock the Volume controls to the TV. It is a good idea to lower the volume of the TV before doing this as it could get loud if your TV volume is really high.

Regarding the black screen issues, @57 is correct it could be a signal issue and we would need to run tests on your equipment to verify that. Please send us a private message @CommunityHelps the next time you're online and we can take a closer look. For more information on our private messaging system check out our blog.

RogersTony

I've Been Here Awhile

I tried the setup method cited in the reply message, but did not find that it worked. I ended up connecting the 4K box using the RCA connections rather than the CATB connection. This is the same thing that I had to do with the 3.0 box to avoid some of the problems that I experienced with it. Thanks for the assistance and will monitor to see if the audio level remains constant rather that fluctuating.

I'm a Senior Contributor

NextBox 4K PVR signal/connection issues?

I wasn't sure how to title this post, but I have a weird problem that I'm hoping someone may be able to help with.

We just got a new Nextbox 4K PVR because we were having some problems with our next box 3. I hooked it up on the weekend and it has been working just fine.

This afternoon, after having been off for about 14 hours, my wife turned it on only to see the TV telling her that it was not receiving any signal from the cable box. This seemed very odd because nothing had been touched since bedtime last night until it was turned on this afternoon, so it is hard to imagine that a cable came loose all by itself in that time. Nevertheless I checked all of the connections and could not find anything wrong and yet the TV still said no signal. And then all of a sudden everything was back to normal, full signal, full picture like nothing happened. I really do not think that it was a result of me jiggling the cables but I can't rule that out 100%. If that was the whole issue I would still assume a faulty connection

However, what is more perplexing is that several programs that were all set up to record through the morning never recorded at all. I may be wrong, but I assume that even if the HDMI cable between the box and the TV were somehow loose or faulty, that programs would still record because the box was still plugged in and still connected to the coax cable.

So my logic tells me that if the next box was not only not communicating with the TV, but it was at the same time not able to record any programs, then somehow it was essentially "off-line". I don't know if there was some software update in the middle of the night and maybe the box never came back from the reboot, or if there is some other way that we have taken the box off-line inadvertently? Is that even possible?

Does any of this make sense? It does not sound to me like a connection problem is much as it sounds to me like the 4K PVR just became "invisible" and totally dormant.

I would hate to think that the box is malfunctioning, since it's only three days old, but I am anxious to get any ideas as to what might cause such a peculiar problem.

Thanks in advance to all.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DrMike wrote:

I wasn't sure how to title this post, but I have a weird problem that I'm hoping someone may be able to help with.

We just got a new Nextbox 4K PVR because we were having some problems with our next box 3. I hooked it up on the weekend and it has been working just fine.

This afternoon, after having been off for about 14 hours, my wife turned it on only to see the TV telling her that it was not receiving any signal from the cable box. This seemed very odd because nothing had been touched since bedtime last night until it was turned on this afternoon, so it is hard to imagine that a cable came loose all by itself in that time. Nevertheless I checked all of the connections and could not find anything wrong and yet the TV still said no signal. And then all of a sudden everything was back to normal, full signal, full picture like nothing happened. I really do not think that it was a result of me jiggling the cables but I can't rule that out 100%. If that was the whole issue I would still assume a faulty connection

However, what is more perplexing is that several programs that were all set up to record through the morning never recorded at all. I may be wrong, but I assume that even if the HDMI cable between the box and the TV were somehow loose or faulty, that programs would still record because the box was still plugged in and still connected to the coax cable.

So my logic tells me that if the next box was not only not communicating with the TV, but it was at the same time not able to record any programs, then somehow it was essentially "off-line". I don't know if there was some software update in the middle of the night and maybe the box never came back from the reboot, or if there is some other way that we have taken the box off-line inadvertently? Is that even possible?

Does any of this make sense? It does not sound to me like a connection problem is much as it sounds to me like the 4K PVR just became "invisible" and totally dormant.

I would hate to think that the box is malfunctioning, since it's only three days old, but I am anxious to get any ideas as to what might cause such a peculiar problem.

Thanks in advance to all.

That is a very strange issue indeed! I would double check the power wire going to the box and the cable connection to ensure they are tight. The best way is to turn the TV on and the Nextbox on, then "jiggle" the power wire and the coax cable and see if the signal drops off/box powers off. 

If that isn't the issue then I would suggest calling Rogers and asking them to check your signal levels, the fact that you had issues with your Nextbox 3.0 and are continuing to have issues with the 4K Nextbox leads me to believe this is a signal issue. A tech visit may be required to correct the signal levels.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@gp-se wrote:

That is a very strange issue indeed! I would double check the power wire going to the box and the cable connection to ensure they are tight. The best way is to turn the TV on and the Nextbox on, then "jiggle" the power wire and the coax cable and see if the signal drops off/box powers off. 

If that isn't the issue then I would suggest calling Rogers and asking them to check your signal levels, the fact that you had issues with your Nextbox 3.0 and are continuing to have issues with the 4K Nextbox leads me to believe this is a signal issue. A tech visit may be required to correct the signal levels.

Thanks for the quick reply. The rest of the background is that we DID call Rogers and DID have a tech come out last week when we were having NextBox 3 problems. The picture would randomly freeze, then pixellate and unfreeze, both live TV and recorded. No rhyme or reason. The tech came out and said it was a signal problem plus 25 year old coax cables. He boosted the signal but the problem persisted. To be honest, while I could believe there was a signal problem, I did NOT believe that was the cause - I thought the NextBox 3 PVR Hard drive was failing. He said that would only affect recorded shows not live TV but my logic said otherwise - live TV is being buffered in real time so a hard drive read/write issue could affect both in my view.

Long story short - I moved the NB3 to a different TV, and moved a NB2 to the "freezing TV" and just as I thought, the problem followed the NB3, i.e. was signal/cable independent. That's when we opted for the 4K PVR.

The reason I am going into all this detail is to acknowledge that there MAY well have been a signal problem but after he put an amplifier on it and boosted it, that should no longer be an issue.  

So maybe we still do have an a faulty/old coax cable but even if that was failing to send a signal to the box intermittently, the box is still connected to the TV and should not show a "no signal" there should it? Just to experiment, I pulled out the coax cable from the PVR and of course the picture froze, but the TV was still getting a signal from the PVR and did not register a "no connection" error.

Baffling!

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Question about Rogers 4K content

What format is Rogers' 4K content like baseball, hockey and basketball?

Is it 2160p60?  2160p30?  2160p24?

Hi @wayner92,

That's actually a great question you've got there, and something I've never really thought about.

I don't think that information is readily available, as all of our information simply states that we broadcast in 4k.  I believe that my Samsung 4k tv at home will display resolution information when I press the INFO button on my Samsung remote.  Maybe your tv has a similar function? 

If not, I'll see what mine says next time there's a game on and let you know!

RogersShaun

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@RogersShaun wrote:

Hi @wayner92,

That's actually a great question you've got there, and something I've never really thought about.

I don't think that information is readily available, as all of our information simply states that we broadcast in 4k.  I believe that my Samsung 4k tv at home will display resolution information when I press the INFO button on my Samsung remote.  Maybe your tv has a similar function? 

I don't yet have a 4K TV or box so I cannot tell myself.

4K is really more of a marketing term then a technical term.  I am pretty sure that Rogers is broadcasting in 2160p which is 2160x3840 and not in "True 4K" which is 4096x2160.  I believe that the Rogers boxes are outputting 2160p60 but I am not sure.

The reason that I care is that I want to get an encoder to be able to record content from a Rogers box to my PC.  There are HDMI encoders available online but the best that they can do is 2160p30 and I don't know how that will look if the content coming from a Rogers box is 2160p60.

You should be able to tell on any content that is coming from your cable box - isn't their always 4K content on a test channel?  Does your TV tell you what format that signal is?