4k nextbox

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: 4k nextbox

@shaynesmith33 wrote:

I just got a 4K nextbox the other day and I've noticed ever since I've had it that it makes a clicking/rattling noise. It almost sounds like something is spinning inside the box.

All PVRs have hard drives inside which often spin 24/7. Normally this is a "soft whooshing" sound, rather than clicking. If it's clicking it could be a sign that the hard drive has issues.  If it's a rental, you could swap it for a new one.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @shaynesmith33

As a owner of the first ones that came out, I barely hear any noices.. Sometimes u can hear it but barely happens.

Do remember, they do have hard drives like a computer does.. So you will hear noices because of it.. It's supposed to be a soft voice and not a loud one.

It could be a faulty HDD u got which is causing it. No matter what PVR or DVR u get, u will get noices with it.
I've Been Here Awhile

Yeah Im thinking that mine has a faulty HDD causing the noise because I've had all the other nextbox pvrs and never experienced a clicking sound like this. It's not very loud but its noticeable from 15ft away from the box when its off or when the volume on the TV is low. 

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @shaynesmith33

Its not supposed to be doing a clicking noise. It's suppose to be a soft noise. Sometimes there is clicking but only when it's doing multiple recordings at once.

I would say swap it out with another one!
I've Been Here Awhile

Nextbox 4K Sync Issues

This is driving me crazy, but I don't have the patience or courage to try to explain it to a csr.

There is an awful audio/video sync issue with the NextBox 4K PVR.  it slowly gets worse and worse.  

In order to fix it, I have to go into settings -> audio then switch _TO_ dolby, then _BACK_ to other.  This causes the audio to become substantially louder and back in sync with the video.  No matter what the setting, I need to switch it over to dolby and back.  Unfortunately after a few hours I seem to have to repeat the process.   It seems the box switches itself back to Dolby no matter my audio choices, and I have to go in and switch it back to 'other'.

It's worse with the HD channels, but the audio can drift by seconds, not frames.  It's very annoying.  It doesn't seem to happen on the 4K STB, just the PVR.

Anyone else having the same issue, and can someone suggest how I might report this to Rogers without having to go through an exercise in un-necessarily changing HDMI cables, power cycling the box 4 times, and whatever else is on the tier 1 checklist?

Thank you.

ig.

(I should have specified, I'm in Toronto).

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ijg1963

that is very strange, is the box connected directly to a TV, or does it go through an AVR or switch?

What is the make and model of the display? is it running the latest firmware? The audio should be set to Dolby Digital since everything is broadcast/encoded in Dolby Digital, so there is less conversion if the box outputs the native signal.

I've Been Here Awhile

I agree, I'm a broadcast engineer by profession so I'm comfortable with the technology and haven't seen anything like this before.

It's a straight HDMI from the unit to an LG OLED65B7P.  I figured the same with the Dolby, and tested a 4K Blu Ray player as well as the 4K STB version of the PVR and the problem doesn't exist.  I assumed I might be asked if I did call in, so I've switched the HDMI cable a few times, but I'm pretty sure most in this forum appreciate that wire, is wire, is wire.

What's more perplexing is the problem seems to get worse with time.  After a few minutes the delay is noticeable, after a couple of hours it's ridiculous.  To clear it,  as I mentioned, go into settings, switch to 'dolby', then switch back to 'other'.   I disabled all the processing on the TV (Atmos, phasing, etc.) and no difference.  In 'other' I get Dolby and all the other fun stuff out of the box, so I'm guessing the stream is still encoded.  

The TV has both 'automatic' Audio/Video sync, and manual audio/video shift and both are disabled.  

You can understand why I'm reluctant to try explaining this to a rep.  It's like chasing a ghost.  

I'm on the most recent version of LG software, and to the best of my knowledge, the latest on the 4K PVR also.

ig.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ijg1963:

I don't believe you mentioned it.  Have you rebooted the box?  Go into Settings, scroll up to troubleshooting, select reboot (not reset).

If that doesn't work, you can try resetting to factory settings, provided you don't mind losing any recordings and any preferences like favourites, etc, which will be deleted with a reset to factory.

Also, if you call Rogers, have them check the signal strength on your box and in your neighbourhood.  See:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

There's also a link on how to check the signal yourself in the above.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ijg1963 wrote:

I agree, I'm a broadcast engineer by profession so I'm comfortable with the technology and haven't seen anything like this before.

It's a straight HDMI from the unit to an LG OLED65B7P.  I figured the same with the Dolby, and tested a 4K Blu Ray player as well as the 4K STB version of the PVR and the problem doesn't exist.  I assumed I might be asked if I did call in, so I've switched the HDMI cable a few times, but I'm pretty sure most in this forum appreciate that wire, is wire, is wire.

What's more perplexing is the problem seems to get worse with time.  After a few minutes the delay is noticeable, after a couple of hours it's ridiculous.  To clear it,  as I mentioned, go into settings, switch to 'dolby', then switch back to 'other'.   I disabled all the processing on the TV (Atmos, phasing, etc.) and no difference.  In 'other' I get Dolby and all the other fun stuff out of the box, so I'm guessing the stream is still encoded.  

The TV has both 'automatic' Audio/Video sync, and manual audio/video shift and both are disabled.  

You can understand why I'm reluctant to try explaining this to a rep.  It's like chasing a ghost.  

I'm on the most recent version of LG software, and to the best of my knowledge, the latest on the 4K PVR also.

ig.

@ijg1963

try turning on the automatic audio/video sync. and as @57 mentioned call Rogers and ask them to check the signal level to that box. Also try a factory reset like @57 said.

It could also be your tv is doing a lot of processing of the image, and it's causing a delay. You could try enabling "gaming" mode just to rest this theory. Game mode has the least amount of processing because latency matters for gamers.

I've Been Here Awhile

4 K Audio Range

The previous 3.0 PVR worked well with my LG TV and normal sound levels were set between 20-25 out of 100. On the new 4 K PVR, it is necessary to increase the setting to 80 out of 100 and in fact the range seems to be very limited. I also note that frequently when first turning on the equipment, the audio level is blaring at what I would expect a setting of 80 or above be. However as soon as you change the channel, the level seems to be cut in half although the setting level remains as noted above. I have tried changing the Audio settings to different combinations but no change was noticed. I had to change my 3.0 PVR 6 times before getting the 4 K and it looks like nothing has changed with the equipment and software. I will elaborate on the other problems in another post involving blank channels and failure to record.