4k box without a 4k TV any advantage?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: 4k box without a 4k TV any advantage?

I can imagine the picture issues up converting a 480i Standard definition movie onto a 8K TV, how many times the pixles have to be unconverted to fill the screen.

In my humble opinion I am happy with my 1080p Hi Definition TV and will NOT jump ship to 4K/8K HD for the next 20 years.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Pauly

Yeah he had shown me a video of 1080p to 8K and let's just say it killed the pixels lol.

That's good that ur happy with that one!. That's ur choice and again a great one. I only jumped ship because I watch mostly Netflix in 4K, have some movies in 4K and 1080P TV's will br obsolete within the next 2 years.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I likely will replace my TV with a 4k one, when this TV goes..

MAYBE sooner, if the content in 4k drastically changes before then.

But right now, there is not enough content that i want, to warrent a change.

But in the next few years.. you will see more stuff on TV, and blurays, etc start comming out with 4k.. that all may change.

And 4k tvs are just more likely to drop more and more by then anyways Smiley Happy

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Gdkitty

Not the high end models. They will stay at $3,000+. The lower end models will stay around the $1,600 mark plus. When 8K does come out the 4K will br dropped agreed but to the level that 1080p is.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

whats puzzling me is will they need a NEW channel for the 4K/2160P feed so for example there is TSN (480i), TSN HD (1080i), and will there be a TSN4K (2160P) or will they send the UHD feed with the HD channel, so the UHD boxes pick up the UHD feed and the HD only boxes pick up the HD feed? my best best is they will need a separate channel altogether for 4K and the channels will need to be licensed just like each HD channel required before it went live

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Pauly

Most likely unless some channels are upgraded to 4K for sports. We shall see.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

My guess it will work like the SD/HD feed stuff now?

New channel for the 4k.

And when you tune to chanel X, it drops the feed from the higher channel, based on which box you have.  Only an HD box? Gives you the HD channel.. but a 4k box? drops the 4k version down.

Dont know Smiley Happy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

ahh so they may be doing what AutoHD does for hd channels.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @Gdkitty

Not the high end models. They will stay at $3,000+. The lower end models will stay around the $1,600 mark plus. When 8K does come out the 4K will br dropped agreed but to the level that 1080p is.

I am far from a TV expert / perfectionist..

So yes there is can be a difference between (on the same level, lets just say 4k) in a $1300 vs a 3000 one.. in terms of refresh rates, contrast, black levels, etc.

But for most people.. not all that makes TOO much of a difference... heck.. the amount of people who are using an HD tv with still an SD tv box... or a regular DVD player.. dont know what true 1080p quality is Smiley Tongue

There are a fair number of 4k TVs in the $1000-1100 range.
Not that far off the equivelent 1080p at $700-800 range.

No i am not expecting a 4k to drop down to like $500 bargin prices.  But your entry level 4k ones at just sub 1k regularily in the next few years.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Gdkitty

Believe it or not, since I work at Best Buy in the Home Solutions department I can tell you most go for the high end models but ask for a deal. There aren't many 50-55inch Samsung, LG, Sony or the other high end models which are less then $1,100. Philips, Vizio and the lower ends are doing. Vizios are doing so well in Canada and might be pulling out from here ( don't say u heard it from me Lmao). Philips isn't there yet and having issues.

Either way the prices will lower for the high ends later on in the years.