4k box without a 4k TV any advantage?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

4k box without a 4k TV any advantage?

I will be getting a 4k tv after I see how many 4k channels come out as well as other content. Will getting the 4k box early have any advantages over the netbox 3? Will it upconvert to a better picture on the other channels?

**Edited Lables**

Steve
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: 4k box without a 4k TV any advantage?

Hello @remaxman

It won't up convert anything seeing as your TV is limited to 1080p. So even the 4K channel will look 1080p instead. Plus the technician will want to see the 4K picture in action to make sure the 4K works.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

No PVR so thats a deal breaker. Not worth the effort to get a new tv and box. I will wait. 

Steve
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @remaxman

The 4K PVR Box will be released in April. So it's worth a wait. I have the 4K box at home and love it so far.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

the only problem with being an early adopter is this, the 4K standards may even change, right now its 2160p, but I was told that there is another 4k resolution coming out, and to complicate things, they are already selling 8k TV's too, so that means u will never have the latest and greatest something new will always come out.t

I remembered back in the day when HDTV's came out a friend dropped a lot of money for his, and it was only plasma, not only that, it only supported 720P. he is having a lot of problems with connecting it to all these new STB's and blueray players and android boxes cus they all prefer to use 1080p resolution and his tv doesn't support it, and when he uses 720p ,he has HDCP handshake issues, etc this is the problem he gets for being an early adopter.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Pauly

Unfortunately no. That's not true. There isn't any other 4K coming out until 8K comes out early 2020. No one in Canada and US is selling a 8K tv and Sharp has a 8K TV which is $160,000 plus. So does Panasonic, LG and Samsung BUT they are not for sell and if they are, you can't only buy them if u aee dropping alot of serious cash.. 

I order TV'S from the manufacturers so i know what's going on and what is coming. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

another thing I want to mention, having a HD box on a non HD TV is different than having a 4K box on a non 4K tv because HD was a big step up and there were many many HD only channels that were not available to SDTV viewers, so having an HD box, even though its an SDTV still would be SD output but that means I can get channel such as Hollywood Suite or Smithsonian, RadX, Hifi, etc.

Having a 4K receiver means the box will pickup the 4k channels but downconvert them to 1080i/p and the output will be the same if your watching on a regular HD box anyway so no noticiable benefit. I'm guessing there will be a limited number of 4k channels and no exclusive 4k only channels that would be kind of wrong.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Pauly

Exactly what I said above.... If u have a 1080p screen and a 4K receiver you will ONLY get 1080 and not 4K. On my Samsung 65JS9000 I have 4k upscalling which works a bit but u can still see the pixels vs the 9994K channel is crisp and clear. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well I dont follow 4k/8k trends and dont know whats in the market, but even if 8K is not being sold now, it is already been manufactured and will only be a matter of time before they start to market it for the consumers. I got my information mixed up, yeah I'll admit to that but If it exists it will eventually make its way to the consumer market.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Pauly

Those TV'S that aee manufacturers for 8K are around $1,00,000 plus and only limited. Sharp, Samsung and LG are releasing theirs in 2019. Time for the world Cup. I spoke to my Samsung rep and he only seen one which is a prototype model and even then he said it's not worth it until 8K channels and movies come out. He noticed alot of pixels issues which hooking a 4K movie and when there was 1080 the picture was ruined lol.

He also said that their managers won't promote the 8K for another 4-5 years and the prices for those will be more then 4K was when it first came out.