4K tv not working

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: 4K tv not working

Hello @seadooxp30

Exactly and they need to know that as they can't have customers go pay for another HDMI cable if it's not it. Maybe they need to send them this information so they know.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@F5i wrote:

4K Netbox  NOT working - CABLE CARD DOWNLOAD - NOT TRIGGERED

I'm new to this thread, but the splash screen shown in post 25 discusses CableCARD. As far as I know CableCARD is not utilized in Canada.  It's possible that the Rogers download has completed properly, as indicated in the splash screen and that CableCARD will not proceed because it's not used?

I firmly believe this is a TV/STB Firmware issue that needs to be resolved by having compatible firmware on both devices.  Since 4K is so new, there are bound to be some glitches as new devices are brought out.  Some TVs work fine while others do not.  We saw the same thing with HD, HDMI-CEC, etc.

The STB firmware is downloaded from Rogers' head end to all appropriate users and is never loaded via USB.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @57

Its the firmware from the 4K box. Not the TV.. It's causing the same problem on Sony tvs, Samsung 2016 lineups and now I got a call from a client of mine which has A LG 65UH8500 and had the exact same issue.

So its a firmware update from Rogers that needs to be done and fixed.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

@F5i wrote:

4K Netbox  NOT working - CABLE CARD DOWNLOAD - NOT TRIGGERED

I'm new to this thread, but the splash screen shown in post 25 discusses CableCARD. CableCARD is not used in Canada.  It's possible that the Rogers download has completed properly, as indicated in the splash screen and that CableCARD will not proceed because it's not used in Canada.

I firmly believe this is a TV/STB Firmware issue that needs to be resolved by having compatible firmware on both devices.  Since 4K is so new, there are bound to be some glitches as new devices are brought out.  We saw the same thing with HD and HDMI-CEC.

The STB firmware is downloaded from Rogers' head end to all appropriate users and is never loaded via USB.

It is ROGERS STB firmware issue. This has nothing to do with 4K TV.

I had the rogers 4K box 2 months ago and same Sony 4K TV and worked without all these issues.

This week they are pushing new updates that causing this issue.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @57

Its the firmware from the 4K box. Not the TV.. It's causing the same problem on Sony tvs, Samsung 2016 lineups and now I got a call from a client of mine which has A LG 65UH8500 and had the exact same issue.

So its a firmware update from Rogers that needs to be done and fixed.

Agree

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @seadooxp30

Exactly. Read above the post i made. Now LG 2016 line ups is having the same issue. So different tvs have the same issue with the 4K box. It's a Rogers issue.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I realize that. I had several points I was trying to make, obviously not as well as I should have.

1. The firmware that is on the latest TVs is not compatible with the firmware on the Rogers 4K box.  This is similar to the incompatibilities we encountered last year when Apple brought out iOS9 and the Rogers RAPTV Apps were not compatible for several months. Same with Android.

2. I wanted to make the point about CableCARD.

3. Since the Rogers 4K box works with some (older) TVs it's a matter of Rogers updating the firmware to be compatible with the latest TVs, however, this "leapfrogging" is the "fault" of both parties...

4. We see the same over on Bell Fibe.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @57

Weird because another client with a 65KS9500 had their 4K box running fine without issues. I work at Best Buy and everyone complains about the Rogers 4K boxes and not once about the Bell one.

This is a Rogers problem with their own firmware and software. They need to update their firmware to be able to connect with them. Sadly it's bad to release a 4K box and have 2016 models of tvs come out and many she'll out $3,000 and csnt even watch TV. I'm sure u agree with me on this. The 4K box should have been tested with those models before it was released. Rogers shows off the new Samsung tvs on their commercials with the 4K box running so im sure it's something else with the firmware.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Excellent info, I totally understand what you just said. Thank you
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @57

The 4K box should have been tested with those models before it was released.

You can't test something with TV models (or TV firmware) that, in some instances, didn't exist yet!  This "leapfrogging" is probably going to happen for some time yet...  As the TV models come out, the Rogers firmware will need to be made compatible, but realize that if the TV manufacturers "spring" something new on providers, then it can take a little time for the providers to "catch up".

Rogers probably receives the necessary (firmware) information from the TV manufacturers with a bit of lead time, but remember that Rogers is dealing with many issues at any point in time and they may have been "caught off guard" by something the TV manufacturers did, in much the same way that Android and Apple made signficant changes to their OS which took time for Rogers to fix.  Previous iterations of OS/firmware, etc usually went off without a hitch, but sometimes s**t happens.

Anyone considering a 4K STB should have a backup plan (HD STB) during this early stage of 4K.