4K TV - Sports frame rate stutter

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: 4K TV - Sports frame rate stutter

Try and turn off "Auto Motion Plus" in the Picture settings or try "Game Mode"

Mick.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I have the same problem. Rogers technician just left my home and wasn't able to resolve the refresh rate / picture quality issue. I have the Samsung UN65JS8500 with native 240 Hz refresh rate, but it makes the picture even worst.
Puck movement is horrible, it looks like a rocket trail. Basketball players are break dancing. However, the preview nature program is the only thing that seems normal( however I think even that should improve when selecting 240 hz mode) but it did not.
Here are my findings:
Selecting UHD under rogers appearance settings messes up regular HD hockey games, and 999 is even worst. In fact I had to see the leafs and the Habs game in regular HD after spending more than 3500 on TV. I invited guest and it was so embarrassing. I find it hard to believe that we need to change these settings for 1080p when we want to watch HD and UHD when we want to watch channel 999. This setting should be fixed on UHD as it is simply telling the box that it is connected to a capable UHD TV.

I brought the technician to check the signal's strength as Rogers technical support agent said on the phone that I have a weak signal. Technician said it was OK and he left without doing anything at all saying neither him or his supervisor knows anything and he will reschedule with another technician who might know better in 4k issues.
After trying to change every possible setting in the box, TV and Yamaha AV receiver I was thinking about the splitter that I have before the box (to go to the Internet modem) So I'm going to bypass that splitter and connect the box directly to the wall, but I don't think this will work and if I didn't update this post then it means that it didn't.

If other users are experiencing the same issue, then it must be an issue with Rogers. Even their 4K commercial on 999 is a demo with a lot of glitches.

Something is so wrong and I hope Rogers will fix this issue asap.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Saad_Al_Haddad

Just wanted to make something clear. Your 65JS8500 does not have native 240hz. It's 120hz but upscalled to 240hz. That's why it's called motion rate on there. Believe me i know as i have the 65JS9000 model at home.

As for the lag. I don't see it in my TV's at all.. My buddy did but I haven't noticed anything as of yet.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Saad_Al_Haddad   Perhaps you are not using an HDMI cable that is new enough.  If you've got an old HDMI cable that is not 'high speed' the cable may be the problem.

Older HDMI cables may only be compatible with HDMI 1.3 or 1.2.  Those will NOT give you 4K at 60 fps.

So an inadequate HDMI cable MIGHT be forcing your TV to only receive information from your box at 30 fps.

Try buying a new HDMI cable that specifically states that it is High Speed - and better yet, is it is best if it states it is 4K compatible, and HDMI 2.0 compatible so that it CAN be sure to give you 4K at 60 fps.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Ok, guys good news:

First of all,  What type of HDMI cable you are using to get a refresh rate of 120Hz? and does your location in the GTA play a role in the strength or quality of the signal?

On UHD settings, I have managed to get a refresh rate of 60Hz instead of the old 30Hz. I have eliminated the splitter possibility by bypassing it entirely, still no difference. I have connected the HDMI cable into all 4 or 5 sockets in the connect one mini box of my Samsung TV, and they all gave me that same 30Hz. Here is what I found. The issue was with the AV Yamaha Receiver. I have bypassed the AV Yamaha receiver, and connected the 4k NB directly to the TV and I instantly and consistently got a refresh rate of 60Hz, despite the fact that my AV Yamaha receiver is 4k and I just purchased it in 2014. It was the reason as the Rogers HDMI cable was going to the AV receiver, then to the TV. Accordingly I have connected the HDMI to the TV and connected the 4K NB via a fiber optic cable to the Yamaha, and same story with Blu-Ray player, connected it directly to the TV and a Fiber optic cable to the AV Receiver and everything seems to be working fine (so far). Even the lip sync is much more better. I have not seen a sport game yet, but I am expecting it to be better. Even the regular HD channels are working fine now at UHD setting.

I could be wrong with the native refresh rate, and thanks for correcting me; however I will be more than happy to reach 120Hz. I will be buying a new HDMI 2.0 cable and will share my findings too.

Note: For my Samsung TV, go to the TV menu and reselect the HDMI input that your rogers is playing on, then a message with the resolution and refresh rate will re-appear on your TV.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Just a quick update. I just tried 2 new HDMI cables, one of them was a $40 2014 Rocketfish cable and the other one was a 8k 27MB 2016 DHMI which says it supports 60/120Hz worth $90. Both of them failed to get me 120Hz on all ports of my TV. Will return them back to BestBuy and keep on wondering how could I get 120Hz .

Highlighted

@Saad_Al_Haddad  Others here can confirm this, but I'm pretty sure you are NOT going to get anything faster than 60 fps out of your Rogers boxes.

But that is a slightly different issue than the refresh rate of your TV.

Once you've set things up so that you are getting 60fps  from your Rogers box, if you are still not getting a great picture from your TV - it is probably a limitation of your TV.

A good TV will take the 60 fps input and convert that to a display that is 120 Hz or 240 Hz.

But what is disappointing is that the Rogers tech person who actually visited your home didn't have enough understanding of TV technology to quickly tell you that the problem you were having could have been because you had an older receiver.  It probably only supported HDMI 1.4 - which is limited to 4K at 30 fps.

And about cables - you are WASTING your money buying expensive HDMI cables at Worst Buy.  Go to your local computer store - and you can get HDMI 2.0 4K compatible HDMI cables for $10.  I find Canada Computers has a great selection, and they mark some of them specifically as HDMI 2.0 4K.  They are cheap.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @billmcintyre

Well the Rockfish HDMI cables have a huge margin on them. You could ask a associate to give u some discount on them. This is what i do when a customer is nice and I do them that favour. Working at Best Buy let's u see things customers don't. Plus Rocketfish is their own brand so they do have a bigger margin on it too. Monster HDMI cables are from Monster thus it's more expensive.

Even Canada Computers sends us customers for things and we send customers their for things as well. Lol weird eh.

Anyways i have the Monster HDMI cables and Rocketfish which are great..don't see anything bad
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks guys. But I'm returning both since I am already getting 60Hz with the cables that I already have. But I was hoping if you could elaborate on how your TV is getting 120 hz. Is it always or only on sports broadcast? Is it channel 999 or all channels?
Highlighted

@Saad_Al_Haddad I'm sorry I didn't explain things in a complete manner.  There is a difference between the output of your Rogers box in fps (some would less accurately describe this as Hz) and the 'speed' of your TV - most commonly described as Hz.  These are two different things.

Meowmix is NOT getting any more than 60 fps out of his Rogers box - BUT - his TV then takes that signal and displays it at a faster speed - either 120 Hz or 240 Hz - depending on what his TV is cabable of.

Your TV may be confusing you because when you first tune to an input - you may see 1080p/60p or 2160p/60p - which tells you what the ROGERS box is OUTPUTTING.  But your TV may be DISPLAYING this at a FASTER Hz.  (The box is sending out 60 frames per second - and then the TV 'speeds up' that display to 2 or 4 times more than that - depending on whether your TV is 120 Hz or 240 Hz.)

@Meowmix  Yes.  BB definitely has things that CC doesn't - but I don't see ANY reason to pay 5 or 6 times more on a Monster or Rocketfish cable compared to what I can get elsewhere.