4K PVR set up?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: 4K PVR set up?

Setting up 4k HD PVR 

Can I set up my pvr without using the HDMI cable

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sharriman : You can connect the 4K PVR to your TV with any cable(s) you like that are available on both the TV and the PVR, however, the only way to get 4K images on the TV is with HDMI.

What cable(s) were you planning to use and why?

I've Been Here Awhile

My cables go through the wall and I have no idea how to get the cable through the wall to my tv
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sharriman wrote:
My cables go through the wall and I have no idea how to get the cable through the wall to my tv

Yes, but what cable(s) go through the wall?  It's called "fishing".  You need to fish the new cable where the old cable(s) are if the old cable(s) are not compatible with 4K.  If it's not a long run, sometimes you can attach the new cable to one of the old cables and pull the new one through using the old cable as a lead. Use strong tape around the end of both cables linking them together smoothly as if they're one cable.  If it was a proper installation, then there should be smooth conduit in the wall to allow for this.  Also, a proper installation would have had a "string(s)" inside the smooth conduit to allow you to pull a new cable.

You may need to hire an installer if this is beyond your capabilities.  If there's already an HDMI cable in place, try using it.  It may be satisfactory, but if it's a long run, or if it's a cable incompatible with 4K, then you'll need a new cable run.

If you still have questions or comments, try providing us with more information regarding the installation - how long is the run, is there a new 4K TV, is there conduit in place, is there HDMI in place, what is written on that HDMI cable, etc. Short one-sentence questions or comments don't help us help you.

I Plan to Stick Around

4K PVR does not have Component connections

Has anyone had an issue with an older TV that has only 1 HDMI ( or none) and/OR Component HD connection only.

We just had our box replaced, they gave us a 4K model ( HD signal on account), but our old box had Component connections.... our TV has 1 HDMI and 1 setoff Component HD jacks.... now I had to remove our Chromecast to hook up the box.

Does Rogers give you adaptors?  I think they are phasing out the older boxes because they seem to only have the 4K ones in stock all the time.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@snafu169 : You do have several options.

- You could send all your connections through an Audio Video Receiver that is 4K compatible.

- You could purchase an external HDMI switch or splitter that is 4K capable to feed several devices into your one TV HDMI input.

- You could purchase an external HDMI switch or splitter that handles 1080P and not worry about the 4K signals?

- Get a new TV?

Almost all new devices now use HDMI with component video phased out.