4K PVR--Release Date??

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

Re: 4K PVR--Release Date??

As gp-se speculates, I too think they might be waiting to release it alongside IPTV. Get IPTV fully ready and stable along with a 4K whole home PVR (true whole home...not the BS they have now) and they'll have a nicely packaged IPTV solution to sell. They have a lot on their plate right now with all the issues surrounding Navigatr, Casa CMTS upgrades, OnDemand, Hitron firmware, etc. To be honest, I'd be VERY surprised if they can actually pull-off an IPTV rollout by end of year. I have no idea why Rogers continues to want to do (build, code, manage, etc) things themselves. Bell purchased a very nice almost turnkey IPTV solution from Microsoft/Ericsson, allowing them to focus on the sales, marketing, advertising, etc stuff, and it's paid off HUGE for them with Fibe being the fastest-growing tv service in the country. Rogers should really try doing the same...with a HFC network infrastructure, they already reach more customers than Bell with greater bandwidth/capacity...they'd kill it if they would just learn to outsource certain things to companies that can do it better.

I Plan to Stick Around

In the end it's just poor product management. I'm sure other providers are also thinking about IPTV and that didn't stop them from providing their customers with a 4K PVR in the interim. At the very least, Rogers should allows the 4K NextBox and an Nextbox 3 PVR to be hooked on the same outlet using a splitter. The idea of requiring a seperate outlet is so 70's mindset when they were charging for additional outlet for people to watch two shows on two different TV. Based on the feedback received, it's no surprise that Rogers feel comforable to take their sweet time. When you're in business you have to make sure you keep your clientele. Unless Rogers feels that they could lose by taking too long, customers will always be on the short stick side. On the long run, the internet will provide more and more choices to customers to view TV channels and allow us to move away from these monopoly based services. I hope the CRTC opens the door to US based providers so that real competition kicks in, reduce cost and put a stop to their ridiculous control of the servive. Just look at just about any other service area and we have an incredible amount of choices, telecom is still in the dark age in Canada.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Vg2

As much as i agree, its their choice to take their time to build the software and box to the point it won't have issues like the last boxes did. I rather have a working non issue box then a working box full of issues and bugs. I am sure many would agree with me but that's my own personal opinion. Anyways we shall see what happens. No US base carrier r cable or provider will come to Canada. We seen it with Verizon when they were interested and then backed off and said they weren't coming anymore. I am still awaiting to hear when it will be released as well.

I Plan to Stick Around

4K PVR Finally announced on Rogers web site.

I rest my case. You're all welcomed!

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hey guys!

Great news! The new 4K PVR had been announced and put on the Rogers website under their 4K spot. Unfortunately there is no date but it tells you to sign up and you will get a call or a email letting u know when the release date is and get u up and running. The 4K PVR pricing is $24.95 per month.. Here is the website

http://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/4k

"Don’t miss a detail with sports and more in 4 times the resolution of HD

Record up to 8 programs simultaneously
Includes 120 hours of 4K storage (240 hours HD storage)
Watch and enjoy from any TV in your home with Whole Home PVR

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Anyone hazard a guess on actual make and model number of the 4K PVR?   I don't think anyone would want to reserve it until they know how it will fit in with their current A/V equipment.

Peter
Toronto
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Thanks.   Unfortunately nothing detailed online yet in the way of connectivity.

Peter
Toronto
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @pmcsplaza

Unfortunately that's up to Technicolour and Rogers to post that. They will once they release the box.

Yes, I guess we just have to be patient.  Eventually we'll be able to download the user guide.

Peter
Toronto