4642HD only displays in 480p

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: 4642HD only displays in 480p

I have a similar problem with my 4642HD since the recent change to Navigatr. After a reset, it will display in 1080i for a few days. After that, it displays in 480p, which just just shows the top left corner of the image until it is next reset. When it’s displaying in 1080i, the top right corner of the TV screen correctly shows Explorer 4642. When it’s displaying in 480p, it shows Explorer 8600.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@glenpalmerio : I assume you're using an HDMI connection.  If so, go into the STB menu - Settings - Appearance - TV Type and select say 1080i.  I assume that it's currently on "auto" and that you're getting an incorrect "HDMI handshake" issue. By choosing 1080i, the issue should go away.

Your TV is probably acting weirdly because it "remembers" a different stretch mode for the different format. By sticking to 1080i, that problem should go away.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for your reply, 57.  You're right...an HDMI connection and Settings - Appearance - TV Type was in auto.  After a reset, I selected 1080i.  I felt confident that I had solved the problem but a day or two later, the same thing happened again.  After another reset I checked the TV Type selection and it was still in 1080i.  Frustrating.

I Plan to Stick Around

I too am getting this same issue. It just stopped working 3 days ago after what appears to be a system update. I tried rebooting the box, even doing a factory reset. It works temporarily but then after I turn off the box for awhile and then turning it back on the box switches appearance setting to AUTO and all I get is 480i and only the upper left hand corner. I can go into SETTINGS and force the 1080i but then it goes back to AUTO after the box is turned off. Rinse and repeat! I know it can't be the HDMI cable or ports because it was working properly before.

What's up Rogers?

Just checked. Yes, my TV also says that the box is a 8600 instead of 4642. Did Rogers push the wrong firmware?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I suggest that people with this issue report it to Rogers.  In the meantime, leave the 4642 on.  It only uses about 1 Watt less power when "off" because it's really in standby.

Here's one way to report in writing via "Share a concern":  I have found them to be quite responsive to this form of communication.  Perhaps include a link to your posts here and other background information...

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/contactus/share-a-concern

I've Been Here Awhile

Hello, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar issue to this:

Since about 2 weeks ago when I turn my Nextbox on there is no video output but sound works.

I've tried the following:

- different HDMI cable

- different HDMI TV input (same input that Chromecast works on)

- swapping Nextbox 4xxx for Nextbox 8xxx

One thing that I have noticed is that my TV detects it as 480 (I'm not 100% certain what it showed before when it powered on). Could that possibly be the issue? If I have my TV on and then power cycle the nextbox after its requisite 10 minute poweron it detects as 1080i and works fine. But with everything off and doing a warm boot it shows up as 480 and again, no video.

I've also tried going into the nextbox setup and forcing 1080 instead of Auto but that doesn't seem to have any effect.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I've Been Here Awhile

I just noticed that this got merged since it appears to be the same issue. I'll try the suggestions tonight

I Plan to Stick Around

My belief is that it's a firmware update gone wrong. From what I'm reading, you and I are not the first people to report this issue. I feel it's a pushed firmware update because I see the font in my GUIDE has changed, as well as my TV stating that the box is a 8600 rather than the 4642.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Way back when the guide first came out, there was a bunch of issues with it with handshake issues... wondering if this is doing much the same now as it did back then.

One thing I would try, unless your using any of those features, it to turn off any of the advanced HDMI features like ARC and CEC off.

I Plan to Stick Around

32" circa 2005 TV.  Don't think ARC and CEC would be the issue.  =)