4642HD only displays in 480p

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: 4642HD only displays in 480p

I’ve found that the problem only exists when one of our two TVs is connected to the 4642. Switching TVs or switching the 4642 with our 8300 resolves it. In the belief that I needed to change one of the culprits - and given the relative cost of TVs and STBs - I rented a new 4642 from Rogers. Alas, the problem persists.

Hey @glenpalmerio,

Trying to enjoy your favourite programs in SD instead of HD is a major struggle! We definitely want to help you get this issue resolved.

From what you've described it sounds like there could be an issue with one of your TVs. Is that TV an older model than the other one which seems to work fine? We may need to escalate a Ticket on our end to investigate.

Please send us a Private Message to @CommunityHelps and we can have a Ticket escalated to investigate this matter further. For more information on our Private Messaging system please click here.

RogersTony

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersTony: As you probably remember, when the Navigatr firmware came out with the "Auto" setting in the "Settings - Appearance" section, some people with older TVs had issues wherein they couldn't even get an image due to a (bad) HDMI handshake forcing a "format" (say 1080P) that some TVs (768P) couldn't receive. This was resolved with the option to select whatever format you want under Appearance.

The posters in this thread have tried that, but the format doesn't "stick", reverting to 480P when they turn off the STB.  Also, it appears that the 4642 then thinks that it's an 8600 and not a 4642, which is really weird.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

57 is correct I too have seen this problem. One explanation is the order the devices are turned on. I can not remember the default power on order programmed into the power button of the Rogers remote, but what ever the power on macro is programmed as, it CAN be changed so if it powers on STB then TV, and its causing the issue, it certainly can be changed to power on TV FIRST then STB if this is needed to fix the issue. I do remember doing this to my parents tv and they have never ever had a problem ever again.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

That will not work. Whether the TV turns on 1st or 2nd makes no difference. According to the box, auto resolution setting kicks in a sets the wrong resolution.

The only solution that works (which is NOT a solution) is a work around. I disconnected my HDMI cable and ran analog composite/audio cables in its place. Luckily I had a few lying around the house.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@squirrelqueen : I assume you meant component video (the three video cables (red, blue, green)), plus analogue audio.  Composite video (yellow) would be 480i, SD.

One option I mentioned earlier would be to select 1080i (or whatever HD option under Settings/Appearance) that works and then leave the STB on. It appears that the problem comes from the handshake at startup, so by not turning the STB off, there would be no startup issue? Have you tried that?

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes. That is what I meant.

As for leaving the box on, that doesn't work.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@squirrelqueen : What do you mean it doesn't work.  Does it change to 480P all by itself after some period of time?  It should stay on what you select in the settings...

I Plan to Stick Around

Yup, that's exactly what I'm saying.  I did try this method of leaving the box on and only turning off the television, however when I turn the television back on I receive the same AUTO resolution message and the tv reverts to 480p with only the left-hand corner displaying.  The problem is with the box.  For now I will use the component cables as this is the only method that will stick to 1080i resolution.

I've just heard from my father-in-law who is also now reporting the same issue on his television.  

This is a Rogers technical issue.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@squirrelqueen : I realize that this issue has come about with the latest Navigatr firmware update, but what I'm trying to do is find you (and others with the problem) a workaround until the firmware is fixed, which may take a while.

Would you mind checking to see if you have HDMI-CEC, or whatever it's called for your particular TV turned on in your TV user menu?  If it's on, which it usually is by default, would you please turn it off.  It may be called something different in your particular TV's menu, but the function is the same. See the following FAQ, point 4.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/71112-faq-hdmi-comments-issues.html