cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SmartHome Camera (2 years old) record on motion?

landesmm
I've been here awhile

We had our system install just under 2 years ago with one outdoor camera and two Day/Night vision cameras (also outside).  All work flawlessly and I can record any camera, one at a time.  I was told during install that the Day/Night cams have motion sensors and I am reading here that people are using the motion to trigger recording.  I can't find that option in my web control rules.  Cameras are set to record based on Garage Door (rollups) opening but that misses things like package deliveries or attempted break-ins.  How do I get the motion detection feature to work? 

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: SmartHome Camera (2 years old) record on motion?

Maybe its a limitation of the older cameras?

It appears i can do it, on the current camera
(the one listed here http://www.rogers.com/web/content/smart-home-monitoring-solutions-new?ipn=1#tab2)

• Add rule
  • Event
  • When my camera
  • Motion
  • Send an email
  • Select the camera.

The rogers system is GREAT for triggered events.. when X happens do Y... so video clips based on that. (things like when the door opens, take a video clip, etc)

If you want to get into more advanced recording based on motion, and for longer periods/more storage.. you really need to look at a more advanced DVR based camera system.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @landesmm

You need to sign into the Rogers Smart Home portal and then go to Rules on the top. Then press on rules. Once in then rules page go to " add rule "

step 1 (motion)
Step 2 (Motion or still)
Step 3 ( take a video clip)

landesmm
I've been here awhile

Thanks @Meowmix.   Perhaps I am misunderstanding the feature set of the cameras.  I was told that the cameras themselves have a motion sensor and that it could trigger a recording.  The Step 1 "When My" device list shows the standard motion sensors within my home but does not list the cameras.  I can record a video when a motion sensor triggers but I don't have a stand-alone sensor outside of the house.  I wanted to use the motion sensors inside the camera to trigger the event.  Is that possible?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @landesmm

You are correct.

" • Motion Detection. This feature can detect motion in the field of view. The iCamera2 will compare consecutive frames to detect changes caused by the movement of large objects. This function only works indoors due to the sensitivity of the CMOS sensor. When motion is detection or some other action may be triggered."

I believe u have to put a sensor on ur garage door ( window / door sensor) for this feature to work. That's the only way the rules can work for the camera to record.

landesmm
I've been here awhile

Thanks.  That is unfortunate as most other home security systems support the camera motion detectors and I know the cameras have that built in.  I currently have garage door sensors on both roll ups and they do trigger recording but that only works once the door is opened.  It does nothing for failed break in attempts or package deliveries to the front door, let alone anyone sneaking around the house looking for an opportunity.  

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @landesmm

Agreed. Unfortunately this is the only way it will work unless they modify it to do it the other way around in a future update.

Maybe its a limitation of the older cameras?

It appears i can do it, on the current camera
(the one listed here http://www.rogers.com/web/content/smart-home-monitoring-solutions-new?ipn=1#tab2)

• Add rule
  • Event
  • When my camera
  • Motion
  • Send an email
  • Select the camera.

The rogers system is GREAT for triggered events.. when X happens do Y... so video clips based on that. (things like when the door opens, take a video clip, etc)

If you want to get into more advanced recording based on motion, and for longer periods/more storage.. you really need to look at a more advanced DVR based camera system.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Gdkitty

Mine is the same camera as urs and I never had that rule. Contacted Rogers and somehow the system updated with that rule on it. I tried that and it barely worked unless u are close to the camera. Defeding the purpose of it but it works.

Thanks!

Yeah, never tried it before.. but there was that update a week or two ago.. may have added that in?

My camera is about < 10ft away from the front door, inside, and picks up the movement of if someone is at the door or door opens.
So would work for a setup like that.. would probably catch a delivery guy outside (1/2 glass frame door)

But if it was a setup with it farther away, etc.. yeah might not be very good.

Dementue
I plan to stick around
Kind if an old post, but I'm having the same issue. I used to be able to set my icamera2 to record when it detected motion. Now when I go into the create rule section that option is gone and it will only record based on something opening or closing. The option for the camera to record on motion says the option is no longer valid. That's probably the most important option to have, why would they take it away? As I said, it worked fine before and all of a sudden it was no longer valid.

Hey @Dementue,

I know how important it is to set up different rules based on your needs. I believe the, "When motion is detected" should still be available. Have you tried it from the web portal instead of the app?

Is anyone else in the Community experiencing trouble with this feature?

Regards, 

RogersTim

Dementue
I plan to stick around

Hi Tim,

Sorry if this goes through twice.  My first reply seems to have disappeared.  Yes, I've tried on both the app and the web portal.  Only on the web portal did it show the rule to record on motion detection with a note beside it that said "No Longer Valid"  Did something maybe change in my account that would make this option unavailable to me?  As I mentioned, it was working fine and then all of a sudden the rule was gone.  Now I can only record on things opening and closing or the system arming or disarming.  I only have one camera (icamera2 used via WiFi).  It looses connection every 15 minutes and the only way to get it back is to unplug the ethernet cable for about 30 seconds and then I can view the cameras stream for another 15 minutes or so, but this has been like that before the rule disappeared..

Hey @Dementue,

All is good! I checked with one of our Smart Home Monitoring experts and verified the option should still exist. We recommend deleting the rule completely and starting over. The, "No Longer Valid" message comes up when something may have changed that broke the rule, such as the camera's name being changed. 

I hope that helps!

RogersTim

Dementue
I plan to stick around

That would explain it.  I did change the camera name at one point.  Now if I could just figure out why I have to keep unplugging the ethernet cable every 15 minutes to view the live stream.  After 15 minutes (sometimes less) the app and web portal can't connect to the camera to view the live stream until I unplug the ethernet cable, wait 30 seconds and plug it back in.  Resetting the Netgear router gives the same results.

Hey @Dementue 

I'm glad your rule is fixed! Having to reboot your Netgear or unplug your Ethernet cable every 15 minutes certainly isn't ideal. We'll need to know more about your setup to get to the bottom of it.

Can you walk us through how you have everything set up? Does it go, Modem > Netgear > Camera? Or do you have anything in between, etc?

Also, when was the last time you rebooted your Touchpad?

Regards,

RogersTim

Dementue
I plan to stick around

Hi Tim,

It's setup just how you said.  Cable Modem > Netgear > Wireless to camera (icamera2).  No other components are in between.  The Netgear router is about 25-30 feet away from the camera with only my front door between them.  When it works for the 15 minutes, it works perfectly.  No lag, clear image and then it suddenly drops.  I've noticeds I can't control my light (which is 5 feet away) when this happens as well.   I noticed on the back of the cable modem (XB6) the ethernet port that is being used to connect to the Netgear router has an orange blinking light.  The other ethernet port in the XB6 has a cable running to my pc, and it does not have an orange blinking light.  I tried switching the 2 around, but then the other port starts blinking (connected to the Netgear) and the one that my pc is now connected to isn't.  It seems something is wrong with the Netgear unit perhaps.  Am I able to get the login info to access the Netgear settings?  I can't seem to figure that out, but I can get in to the cable modem to change settings.   I tried switching ethernet cables to make sure it wasn't bad, but that didn't help.  I have tried rebooting my touch pad many times, but it did not help.   Last time I rebooted it was yesterday evening.

Note that in the last few series of modems.. the lights seem to be different that a lot of the older conventions.
Orange should denote a 1gb connection.

Since everything talks back to the touchpad.. and that  you cant do the other stuff at the same time.. makes me think it might be more a touchpad issue?
Might be worth seeing if you can get someone out to replace it.

Dementue
I plan to stick around

Ok, sounds good.  I'll give a call and request a service tech to come by.  I also have a faulty door sensor that keeps saying tampered after I replaced the battery.  I re-seated the cover and the message went away, but now it's back and won't go away.  Anyhow, the service tech can look at that when he's here.

Thanks for the help, 

AB

Topic Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 in conversation