Smart Home Cameras..

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Smart Home Cameras..

Been told in a week or two all cameras may be able to record all at the same time.
I've Been Around

I'm considering getting an outdoor Rogers SHM camera... but i'm concerned about the power source. The sales women couldn't confirm how it's power source is delt with outdoors. She just said it needs a plug in power source... Seriously? So someone could just walk up and UNPLUG my SECURITY camera?? Can anyone give me insight as to how they are installed?? Is it literally just a plug-in? Or is it more secure than that... thanks!!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As with any security camera... there is ALWAYS a failure point.

Even powered cameras via eithernet POE, all it takes is to CUT the wire, and the camera is out of comission.
So in the same way, same as un plugging.

How the rogers cameras work, are they communicate wirelessly.. but the power for them, is done via a power adapter.. but between the power adapter and the camera, is uses regular computer ethernet cable.
So, it would at least allow someone to sort of do a slightly longer run to get it plugged in, in a more secure location for that part at least.

Could run the thernet up into a soffit of the house.. and run that further across into say the garage or something else and plug in there.
I have some outdoor cameras (not rogers though), and i do one of them this way.

For my other one, which does not have easy plug access.. i have used these. (or similar)

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.plastic-cover.1000857337.html
Where they could be screwed in over where the connection/adapter is, and locked

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @lcox22

Why don't you buy the Arlo camera from Netgear? No wires for power or anything uses batteries and uses WiFi. I have the indoor SHM camera, 2 Canary cameras and also a Arlo camera outside.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

How are the ARLO ones? 
I was looking at them, but over heavy recording, i was worried at how much it would drain the battery/how quick.

Also, i wasnt that fond of the mounts. Well other than the more expensive addon one.. most of the others were magnetic.

Worried someone would walk off with the thing >.>

I've Been Around

Received new 2 camera, installed by tech. but driveway camera has poor quality ,,,,its motion sensor not fast enough record movement..try to contact rogers..waiting time was 1hr to 1hr 40minuts. BEst costomer serivce. now both camera is not connecting with control pannel

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That they have lost connection, is likely a wireless issue.. the signal may be too weak there?

The tech SHOULD have check that.. but quite possibly didnt.

One way to check, would be to take another device (phone, etc) and go out to where the camera is, and look at the wireless available there.  You should see one labeled  RSSXXXXX  or something similar.  Thats the rogers security one.
If its really low signal wise.. thats definately the problem.

Problem often is sometimes with the rogers modem/router often being by default in the basement.. the signal doesnt quite go as far.
Might require a move of the router.

I've Been Around

Can you use your own camera with Rogers Home Monitoring? How?
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @manya2000

Unfortunately no u can not. You must use the cameras provided by Rogers. No other cameras work with the system sadly.
I've Been Here Awhile

I wondered about that myself when I had the system installed about three weeks ago. The technician installed my camera just under the softening at the top of the brick and ran the power cord under the softening through a hole over my garage door that he drilled and plugged it into the ceiling in my garage. In this case it's not possible for someone to walk up and unplug the camera. Hope that helps!