Rogers Smart Home monitoring outage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Rogers Smart Home monitoring outage

Hey guys

So i was speaking to the Home Monitoring agents and i had issues with my app and online site not working. Contacted this morning and was told there is a outage going on. Seem the outage is causing the app and site not to work properly and can not access the features. They said it's for everyone but i know some that might have the app working for a bit then not let u in.

Just wanted to advise everyone about this if many are having issues accessing the app and or site of use the camera or disarm / alarm ur home.
Retired Moderator RogersSannecia
Retired Moderator

Re: Rogers Smart Home monitoring outage

Hi @ Meowmix

Please be advised that the issue has been escalated and the TouchPad functionality and security of customer’s system has not been impacted.

Thanks

RogersSannecia

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @RogersSannecia

I already know that but thanks!Smiley Happy. The only thing that works is the  touch pad but if u are NOT home and want to use the app or website u can't. So thus makes it useless as u can't alarm or disalarm the house unless u open the door, have the alarm go off and rush to turn it off via the Touch pad. ( The agents agreed with me on this). There is no ETA yet and seeing as no Rogers rep mentioned this on here or anywhere to be clear, I came here to post it for eveyone else that has the service and might not know Smiley Happy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I did notice it this AM, was going to call in now that i am home.

Saved me calling in! Smiley Happy

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Gdkitty

I noticed it a couple days ago but last night was when it started not working for a hours on end until I called. Last night they didn't know what was going on and made me reset everything at 12-1am lol.

This morning I was told there is a outage. Oh well hopefully it gets fixed sooner rather the later.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Meowmix

Appears both are working for me now, both mobile and the web page.

I'm Here A Lot

Maybe I can shed some light here (based on info from the Rogers tech reps).....

Thursday eve. there was a vandalism event in my front yard. Police were called.. Was preparing to DL the video from that cam for them. Guess what!  NO VID! 

According to the tech rep...  They TOOK DOWN the whole system to do a migration to a "new (server) platform". (!)  So, they shut down the system during the peak hours of vandalism/ mischef etc. to do a planned upgrade (sigh).

OK, I understand these tasks have to be done, -  but they did not inform their customers of this planned outage, including me!    I was able to establish that my home had no alarm protection / notification nor any video records of the entire time between 11:20 PM and the following morning. Had I not had an incident, I would not have known about this lapse in protection.

It apparently did not go well, as I tried to log on last night to change some rules and .. what? "Web page is unavailable"   - 25 min on hold to find out that .. "down again" to correct problems encountered from the night before..  I did not gain access until late morning today.

In received a call from their management rep today (as was promised) and voiced my concerns and pressed some pointed and (apparently)  hard questions as to their policy re:  informing customers when security coverage will be interrupted, and the availibility of "hot standby" / "alternate backup" servers within the system.

Now, to be clear, having spent the last 15 years owning and /or been involved with companies supplying "essential services" over the internet, I am no stranger to the panic and pressure around server crashes and problems with electronic networks, and can fully identify with the work and stress involved. (thanks to all who worked to resolve the issues!)

But something is amiss here. The rep promised to get back to me with answers to my (very pointed) questions, and I fully expect he will.  I have  had many issues with my system, and all the Rogers people have  been very helpful and responsive to correcting difficulties, so I can expect this excellent customer service to continue.

The above is factual, trying hard not to sound like a complainer.  I am very dissappointed that there was no video to assist the police. (BTW they caught them) But that is past, it is what it is.

But I think all will agree that if there IS GOING TO BE A PLANNED OUTAGE, customers need to know in advance so we may make alternate arrangements for security during the outage.

BTW, their "Option to receive a call back" works, the wait/hold time  was almost 2 hours today, and I received the promised call about 2 hours later. I suspect this was a very busy day for the Rogers call center.. 

Moderator -  Should there be a "product category" for SmartHome on these forums? (a suggestion)

I will report back here when I have more information.