Rogers Smart Home Monitoring App

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers Smart Home Monitoring App

We received a Text message saying that Rogers would be doing an upgrade to our Rogers Smart Home Monitoring service. Now our BlackBerry 10 Apps no longer work. What kind of upgrade is that?!?

Very frustrating!

Smiley Sad

***Edited Labels***

Re: Rogers Smart Home Monitoring App

Hello @Neely2005,

Thanks for your post!

No longer being able to access the Smart home Monitoring App from your Blackberry device can definitely be frustrating. I have always been a big Blackberry fan myself so I really do feel your pain here.

Since current Blackberry devices are now being powered by Android, and Blackberry is no longer supporting the BB10 software, the decision was made to only support Android devices with Android operating system 4.4 or higher & Apple devices with iOS 9.1 or higher.

If you are interested in upgrading to a device that would be compatible with the Smart Home Monitoring App please send us a private message @CommunityHelps the next time you're online and we can take a look at what options would be available for you.

For more information on our private messaging system check out our blog.

RogersTony

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just as an addition to this..

While rogers potentially could keep continue the support potentially, in the end it can become a security risk.

With the BBOS no longer being supported and updated, if there is any sort of new security risk, it will not be patched.  Continuing to let an APP work, on a potentially at risk OS, could open it to vulnerabilities.  Someone able to break into the app via the phone, and now unlock the house, etc.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hey guys!

I hear everyone but more disappointed with Rogers decision here. Not everyone wants a Android or Apple phone. Some still use a Blackbery OS10 phone such as my mother and father. They got the whole experience of the SMH ( Highest package with 3 camera's, 2 touch door locks, Zen thermostat, 5 window or door sensors and everything else.

They were surprised that a Rogers agent gave false information and said that Rogers still supports the app on BB OS10 and they installed it and went a month trying to figure it out and use it. ( Old folks so takes time). Now to find out heir phones are capable ( Passport and Classic) for the app and the system is useless at the point. Rogers still advertises that BB works with SMH. They should make it more transparent that any older BB such as the Passport or BBOS10 devices aren't supported.

@Gdkitty That is true however AlarmForce still supports BBOS10 and they offer the same if not more. Yeah we get it Rogers doesn't want to support Blackbery ( seeing as they don't bother to support the company or getting their new phone). Yeah Blackberry stopped supporting the phones however security updates will still come. No other updates won't though.
I Plan to Stick Around

Typical Rogers solution, just buy a new phone from us which we no longer do since Rogers is so slow on releasing OS updates. We only buy from the manufacturer now so that we get all the updates quickly.

I've tried both Android and iPhone and I came back to BlackBerry 10 as it is the best OS from a productivity and security standpoint. It is the most secure OS and has by far the most security certifications which is why banks and governments continue to use it. Plus it's always nice to support a Canadian company.

There was a recent update to the BlackBerry 10 OS released from BlackBerry and there is another one scheduled. As usual Rogers is just behind on releasing the updates.
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers lying in advertising?!? Say it isn't so!

We also signed a contract for Rogers SHM based on the fact that there would be a working BlackBerry 10 App. Now part way through our contract Rogers discontinued the App. That sounds like breach of contract to me.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Neely2005

Sad part is that Rogers claims to be Canadian yet still fails to provide Canadian hardware or even support them. As u said updates are coming out still. So don't kno why Rogers doesn't support the Passport, Classic, BBZ30 OR any other BB0s10.

No where does it state that Blackberry isn't support. Also i do believe it is a breach seeing as they promised that it would work in this device and doesn't. My parents are contacting a manager to see what can be done about this.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Gdkitty

Might want to change ur post there..

" Speaking of BB10 and BBOS devices, in a separate post, Thurber says the company will continue to support both BB10 and BBOS for at least two additional years. However, the company will shut down certain services, including the BlackBerry World app store, the BlackBerry Travel site and Playbook video calling service over that time. The app store will continue to operate until the end of 2019."

They will support the BB OS for another 2 years. Don't know where u got that BB doesn't support or update the BB10 Devices.
I Plan to Stick Around

BlackBerry announces at least another two years of support for BB10 and BBOS users:

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sorry about that, last thing I read had said it wasnt going to be supported anymore, no more updates.
But that was a while ago... I dont really keep up to date on BB stuff anymore.  I'll tweek my post above.
(or i cant... appears i cant edit older posts anymore..)

Its a shame that with 2 years left, that Rogers wont keep supporting it.
But I do understand from their point of view... they are constantly updating it/adding features..  And for them to put the time and effort into a separate app (as they likely have to develop possibly each separately for each OS?), when the EoL is upcoming on it.
(and then at that time, falls under what I said in the above post)