Rogers Home Monitoring - Q & A Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Home Monitoring - Q & A Thread

Its unfortunate that you have had that experience.. could be more bad setup/techs who set it up.

I have had great success with it so far.  Mine has always been online.. even with the durring a power outage (forgot that its on battery and cellular) and set the alarm off.

The few hickups i have had with it, the support guys were always able to fix over the phone, etc.

As for the monitoring, they are pretty quick.  I have misses getting to the pannel at times (when i had my son in the arms) and before i can even call in myself right after disarming, they are calling me to inquire if there is a problem.

I guess with every product/service.. there will be good and bad experiences.  My mother has ADT (through her condo association).. twice the alarm has gone off while she was away.. for over two hours.. (false alarms)... and NO ONE on the call list was ever called.

I've Been Around

I need to assign a router on my network a status IP address. However, as the Rogers Home Monitoring router is responsible for DHCP/NAT I am unable to do this as I'm unaware of what the IP address is to the router.  In phone the support channel I was able to chat with a rep who advises me that even they do not know the IP address to the router, and that a technician would need to come to my home in order to make the changes for me.

It's a bit difficult, not being able to manage my own home network as a result of the service.  Can anyone confirm whether these details are true, or have any suggestions?

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Something doesnt quite all sound right, with all that.

Ok, we will need to know, WHAT all hardware you have there.
What modem/gateway you have.

Weither this modem is in BRIDGED mode or acting as normal, just as a gateway.

For the home monitoring, if you have the NETGEAR router there, for its connection to the touchpad.
How things are plugged in/configured.

Depending on WHAT you want to acomplish, etc.. most things are doable.
EG:

I have the SMC gateway, set up in gateway mode, with DHCP on, but wireless OFF.  its 192.168.0.1

Out of port one, i have this go to the NETGEAR router for the home monitoring, into the WAN on it.. and NOTHING plugged into it.
Out of port 2, i have that go to my linksys router, which handles all my wireless (DHCP is off, its all handled by the gateway)

Only if you start running stuff THROUGH the netgear, will you potentially start getting different IP ranges (172 i beleive i found out once), and we are not able to manage that one.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just thinking more on it..

LIKELY if you dont have your own router pluged in already on it...

The gateway is NOT bridged.. and just has the netgear plugged into it.

As long as you are not plugging into the netgear, etc.. you still should be able to access the wireless/wired access through the gateway.
Its default usually is 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

Login: cusadmin

pass: password

I've Been Here Awhile

Hello all,

I'm having some difficulties with my smart home monitoring. I unplugged my cisco modem/router and the SMC wireless router connected to it that was given to me when I had smart home monitoring installed in my house during a renovation. When i reconnected them, i noticed that my smart home monitoring was no longer getting a wi-fi signal when I tested its connectivity. I rebooted the touchscreen and still no wi-fi connection. It still gets the cellular connection, but not the wi-fi connection.

How do i have my touchpad connect to the wireless router again?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have seen this a few times.. especially with the OLD touchpad.

Which touchpad do you have?  The SMC or the technicolor?

With the other router that is connected, are all 4 lights on?  (power, a world, a wireless antenna, and an antenna with a lock?)

When i had the old SMC touchpad, often if there was a full drop for a while, it would not re-connect on its own.  I would have to call into tech support, they would change a setting, force a reboot.. then it would come back on.

I've Been Here Awhile

I have the technicolor one. All 4 lights are on with the modem/router itself, so definitely no internet connection problems. As much as I'd like to avoid calling Rogers technical support, it sounds like I might have to. I also noticed that the SMC router became unhidden, which was troubling for me considering anyone can connect to it and use it, so I have it unplugged currently. I hope they can help me resolve that too, but thanks for your reply!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its an SMC router? You sure its not a Netgear?

While it is VISIBLE (mine is visible), it SHOULD be a secured connection.. that there is a password, etc for it, that it cant be just connected to by anyone.
IF it can be.. it sounds like that it might have been reset itself 😞

(the wireless ID should show as RSSXXXXXX... if its anything else, a good sign the router reset)

Make sure to talk to the home monitoring department.. i have found there are MORE knoledgable techs there, at least compared to the regular internet techs.

I've Been Around

Rogers home system is very faulty.
We have had it only for 3 weeks and it constantly leaves our home vulnerable due to connectivity to the monitoring station being down. We will be replacing this system with a more reliable security monitoring system.i do not recommend this system.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

How is yours set up to connect?

The only issue i have ever had with mine, was when i had a faulty netgear router (which is how it communicates wirelessly to your internet connection).  It kept droping the wireless.. so it lost the 'extra' network connectivity.
So you couldnt do any lights, camera, etc access from your phone, etc, as it was only running cellular.

But the cellular link, was still up and working, could still arm... and still would contact the monitoring center. (had a few accidents with the cats setting off sensors >.<)

A simple move and replace of the netgear router.. and its back up and running.. i havent had a single drop, since they replaced it.

Even if the internet portion is down.. should still work on the cellular link... unless the cellular signal is that poor where you are, it cant communicate.
That is one thing, in which a system that uses a land line, generally has a bonus, that they are less likely to have a 'signal' issue. 
But those ones often dont have dual connectivity (so no backup), and may not have the 'extra' connectivity options. (like setting from the phone) depends on which system you go with.

Have you had someone out to look at things?  May have just been set up incorectly (which SHOULDNT have happened, but thats another story), but another person out may find the fault and be able to fix it.

If not.. hopefully you will find one which will work for you.

(and hopefully, you didnt have any promo's on the service.. otherwise your on contract, and could be fees to break contract >.<)