Rogers Home Monitoring - Q & A Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Rogers Home Monitoring - Q & A Thread

Thanks.  Has anyone tried this who can comment on an alternative hub that will work with Rogers devices?  Thanks,

I Plan to Stick Around

SmartHome + Amazon Echo?

SmartHome uses Zigbee, and now Amazon launches a new Echo Plus in Canada that doubles as a "hub". Except, it costs $100 more than the regular Echo.

So, I'm obviously curious - does that mean the Echo Plus can help me control my SH Lights, SH Arming/Disarming, SH stopping fire alarm, etc?

I've Been Here Awhile

I have had Rogers home monitoring for quite some time, as most they refused to use my own secured wireless network, which is a business class setup as it's what I do. Now the biggest problem I have, is their netgear wireless routers is unsecured and open.  Is this really how Rogers home monitoring operates ? by opening up your home network to the world ? Or am I a one off that just had an inexperienced tech who didn't know any better ? I unplugged the router and have done so for over a year now. I did receive a message from rogers about this, it does have LTE backup anyway, but I can't use any of the so called "features" of rogers home monitoring because of the lack of internet access 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Given what i have experienced (my netgear wifi is setup unprotected, so it's wide open for anyone nearby) this setup is not secure and I had to unplug the netgear so i wouldn't be exposing my home network nor giving neighbours free internet access 

Hello @Yourname & @bmartins,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😃

I know how important it is to ensure your system is protected at all times as well as having the most up-to-date equipment. 

@Yourname, Smart Home Monitoring is currently compatible with Google Home. Using the Google Assistant you can use voice commands to control the following Rogers SHM devices:

• Appliance Modules
  • Light Bulbs
  • Light Switches and Dimmers
  • Thermostats 

There will be more features added soon for Google Home but I have not been advised if the Amazon Echo will be supported as of yet. We should have more information on that soon.

@bmartins, the Netgear Router should never be broadcasting a public Wi-Fi network and should be locked only to the Touchscreen at all times. If you are able to connect to the Wi-Fi from the Netgear we will need to have a Technician out to ensure it is secured.  Please send us a private message @CommunityHelps the next time you're online and we can arrange a service call for you.

For more information on our private messaging system check out our blog.

Regards,

RogersTony

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks @RogersTony, appreciate the reply. And this may be a silly question (or not), but would Google Home Mini work with Smart Home as well?

The engine they both use, i.e Google Assistant, is the same so I'm thinking it should work, but who knows.

Hello @Yourname,

You are most welcome! We’re always here to help out and I don’t believe there is such a thing as a silly question as long as the intent is sincere.

You can use the Google Home Mini the same way you would use the Google Home, in fact, it is compatible with any device that also supports the Google Assistant by following the steps listed below.

Click here for a list of compatible phones, tablets and Android Wear devices.

1. Launch the Google Assistant on your mobile device.
    • For Android 6+ devices with Google Assistant enabled: long press on the Home icon to access Google Assistant.
    • For iOS devices: download the Google Assistant app from the App Store. (Note: as of August 2, 2017, the Google Assistant app isn’t available in the Canadian App Store.)
  2. Tap on the tray icon in the top-right corner.
  3. Tap on the Vertical Three Dot icon to bring up the menu, and select Settings.
  4. Tap on Home Control in the Services section.
  5. Tap on the Add Devices (+) icon at the bottom-right corner of the Devices tab.
  6. Select Rogers Smart Home Monitoring from the list of devices.
  7. Enter your MyRogers credentials and tap on Login to link Google Assistant to your Smart Home Monitoring account.
    • If you're having trouble signing in, you can recover your MyRogers username or password.
    • Don't have a MyRogers account? Register one to manage your services.
  8. Once linking is successful, a list of your Rogers Home Monitoring devices will be displayed. At this point, you can optionally assign rooms to each of your supported devices.
  9. Once you’ve finalized your room assignment, tap Done.

I hope this helps and enjoy playing with all of the cool Home Automation functions that are available.

RogersTony

I've Been Around

Thanks for the instructions to connect SHM to Google Home, but I have not been successful completing the set up.

I have followed all the steps and it just did not work for me eventually. Any other advise would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jerome

I've Been Here Awhile

thanks for setting up this thread.  I’m pretty happy with it, but my issue is with the contacts in the trusted circle. 

First on my main panel i can’t find that screen anymore.  Or whatever they call the screen where you enter people to call before the police. 

Second, its on my iPad, but i can’t see how to simply move the order around - or even delete frankly.  I have different people watching my animals so would like to simply be able to switch the order around so that the correct person is called first in case of an alarm event.

Anyone know how to do this quickly?  I was prepared to delete and re-enter, but can’t see how to even do that - obviously missing something there!  But would really rather just move them around. 

I've Been Around

Hi there,

I can't seem to extend the video recording of my video camera from the 15 seconds to a number that is a little higher.  I would like to be able to capture a longer window of time...maybe 45 seconds even?  Can someone please let me know how to do that?

Many thanks!

Order Now!