Rogers Home Monitoring - Q & A Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Home Monitoring - Q & A Thread

Saw an interesting update on the Home Monitoring App.

Looks like if you have a NEST thermostat... that you can link your NEST account to the rogers app, and then manage your NEST thermostat from it (and i would assume make rules, etc).

This is very suprising, since rogers does have its own thermostat they sell on their own as well.

Overall, it may be GREAT news, if it means that they are including more 3rd party device support... even if just starting with the NEST stuff.
If you could then soon add the nest cameras, smoke detectors, etc.

Would be nice if they open it to more and more.. make it more/closer to the WINK hub where you have more options.
I think more people might get it then, if you could then more choose your own 3rd party devices to add with the rogers system.

I've Been Here Awhile

Home Security Router

Hi,

We just had the home security installed today and I noticed that an additional Netgear wireless router was added to my network for the touchpad to connect to. 

This is a problem now as I have two wireless routers side by side interfering with each other for sending and receiving data. I have my own and this new one.

My question is, can I not setup the touchpad to connect to my own wireless router instead of this other one? Why did Rogers install *another* wireless router when I already have one?

If this is required, I guess I need to cancel because my area is bad enough already with wireless routers hogging up the airwaves the last thing I need is to impact my own performance by having two routers in the same house doing the same thing.

Any input would be appreciated.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

While I am asking, I have the DSC PK5500 installed with this new system and the chime is very annoying. I would like to lower the tone (I could do this with my old DSC panel by holding down * and it would cycle through all the different tone levels). Holding * does nothing on this keypad.

I read online to enter *6 then the master code and all this does is arms the alarm.

Any suggestions? 

I've Been Here Awhile

touchpad not recording to SD Card

I had the system installed a few weeks ago and we've noticed that the touchpad would stop recording to the SD card.  If the touchpad is rebooted, it records for a few hours and then it stops again.  I've been on the phone with tech support a few times a week to see if someone could resolve this issue but no luck so far.  Has anyone else experienced this issue?  We can see the live feed and all the other functions work.  We may have to cancel the service if this doesn't get resolved.   

Hello, @arecad

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Thank you for joining and posting your query in the Community. Smiley Happy

Congratulations on opting the Rogers Smart Home Monitoring service. I understand your concern regarding the dedicated Netgear router, it's a requirement as it establishes a secure network between the touchpad and the home monitoring servers.

It's a 2.4 GHz single-band router and if you notice any interference with your home 2.4 GHz network, I suggest manually switching the channel on your personal router. Usually, a reboot of the router should change the channel. 

Thank you for understanding. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@arecad wrote:

Home Security Router

Hi,

We just had the home security installed today and I noticed that an additional Netgear wireless router was added to my network for the touchpad to connect to. 

This is a problem now as I have two wireless routers side by side interfering with each other for sending and receiving data. I have my own and this new one.

My question is, can I not setup the touchpad to connect to my own wireless router instead of this other one? Why did Rogers install *another* wireless router when I already have one?

If this is required, I guess I need to cancel because my area is bad enough already with wireless routers hogging up the airwaves the last thing I need is to impact my own performance by having two routers in the same house doing the same thing.

Any input would be appreciated.

As was mentioned by the rogers rep.. it is necessary to ensure a proper secure connection between the two.. as it cant be relied on that you might change your wireless settings, etc.. then the touchpad can not connect anymore.  (As the connection settings are not user setable on the units)

I have the same setup.. and the few things i can recommend.

A)  It has to be plugged into your network to get internet.  But it doesnt have to be right there beside the exisiting modem.   If you have an ethernet connection running to somewhere else (hopefully closer?), or if not you can run one yourself... moving it away from the other router.. as long as it connects back.

B)  eliminating direct interference as per above.. changing your channels appropriately.
My rogers security one, is running on 11.   So i have my wifi set on channel 1, as not to compete.
Using a decent wifi analysis  program will help you to find one that is not overly crouded.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks but no one was able to give me a proper technical explanation as to why I couldn't just connect it to my existing router instead of polluting my home with more wifi interference. Simple solution was to cancel and go to another alarm provider. This information should really be explained by the sales team because had I known this I wouldn't have wasted my time.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I did above.. 
Well other than you unplugging it.. or the internet being out itself..  As long as that router is connected/online.. its guaranteed to be connected.  Since we cant change it.
They cant if its on your own.

My mother is with another provider... and i had to replace her router.  
Took them almost a week to get get someone out to re-connect it to her new wireless.

Yes, you do have a valid concern, that there is more wifi & potential interfearance.. but really, with proper segregation of the channels, there shouldnt be very much interfearance at all.

Actually after your original post, i moved my rogers one to up by my ASUS router.  About 2 feet away?
Same setup.. wireless properly segregated, etc.
Have 3 wireless devices within 5 feet, smart TV, etc.
Have noticed no degredation in service, speed tests seem to be the same as before.

But its your call in the end. 

Make sure to do all the research on the other providers systems as well.  A few of their 'internet' connected consoles are just HORRID compared to the Rogers one.   I think my moms is a honeywell.  Brand new, its touch screen is awful (have to press hard and specific) and not user friendly at all.

I've Been Around

Hello, is it possible to pair Bluetooth speakers to home monitoring keypad? Thank you

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @President

Unfortunately that is not a possibility. The tablet is only used for Smart Home Monitoring purposes ( it shows weather and images just like other Smart Home Monitoring keypads /tablets).