Rogers Home Monitoring - Q & A Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Rogers Home Monitoring - Q & A Thread

I got this system couple weeks ago and it works great except one thing.

Photo app is driving me crazy as 90% of time is not working.

It should pull photos from my Flickr account but most of the time I just get error when it starts.

Sometime when it was working it was cycling only 5 or so photos.

Why can't we just insert memory card into the unit and use photo app that way?

Very frustrating.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I had a speratic issue with it downloading data for the weather network app for a day or so.. then went back to normal.

I'm Here A Lot

I have the system installed last week.  Just want to find out how to install the Traffic App in my touchpad?

I called Rogers and the agnent told me that the Traffic App is not available, is that true?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unless they removed it just recently..

I am not at home infront of my pad, so i am doing this from memory (will update, when i get home if i can).

You should be able to go into the settings screen.  From there, one of the menus (i forget which), will have the list of the apps.  This should allow you to add/remove them from there.

I had it on initialy, but did remove it.  I found it worked, but loaded fairly slow.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just wanted to post a slight update here.

At xmas time, we got a large fish tank, with live plants, etc.. but the light being on a timer, was a BIG thing (but still wanted to be able to manualy turn on and off).  Tried one of those timers for your outside lights, but the wiring config wouldnt allow for it 😞  Didnt want one of the basic wall ones, as its behind the tank,  not easy to turn on/off.

Then i remembered the rogers light controls!

Now.. these things are not cheap.  $60 each.  But, if you compare to say a higher end programable time (one that you can set multiple times, different days, etc), those often are in the $40+ range.. so not that far off.

Now if you are looking to get one, if you are just starting the service.. better to buy it right off.. as for any calls out for home monitoring installations, under $100, you have to pay $50+ for 😛  Anything over 100, its free.  So i got 2 of them.  One for the tank, the other one i can put in a room just as a 'we are not home but lights on to make someone think there is' sort of thing.

Considering the fee.. these things were a BREASE to set up.  Take out of the box.  The go into the settings, hit the add lights pairing.. hold down the button on the thing.. BOOM, paired.

Its about the size of one of those basic time things.  One outlet on it going out for your 'controled' device, but also has a passthough so you dont loose the usage of the outlet 🙂

To set up the timer, is just the same as setting the other activations/triggers in the web interface.  Go in, select your day/time settings, select say light ON, which light, and apply it.
Can do the same for Light OFF.  Also can do it all in the light ON setting, you can set it for a time frame... light on at X time, and run for 12 hours lets say, then it turns it off

Lights can be turned on/off from the control pannel (while on, can obviously be turned off manualy with the devices own power switch, but gotta remember to turn it back on 🙂
Also works well from the phone/tablet app.  VERY responsive.  Litteraly the second i press OFF, the light goes off.  Sure there is more of a delay when on celular, but still very good.. its not like you have to wait a min for it to turn off or anything like that.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just another info dump.

They now have two display pads. The smc one (which I have) and another.

With the smc gateway, most likely for now will get the smc control panel, as they were designed to work together.
I found out that it doest actually connect to the built in ssid of it, but a 2nd hidden one. You can't turn the wireless off as it needs it, but you can hide the built in one from viewing.

The reason why they don't want people using their own, is they can't guarantee some of the devices will work 100%
Basic functionality should, but there are NAT issues with the cameras if you use your own, etc.

If you have a Hitron, apparently its wireless has issues with the NEW pads, again a NAT issue. This is why thy install a netgear that is not accessable

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Home Monitoring - different internet provider

Is anyone using an Internet provider other than Rogers for Rogers home monitoring? After 3-4 phone calls since Jan 21st I finally got my Internet downgraded on Feb 25th. What a hassle. The original guy didn't even put in the request after I made sure to ask twice. The second guy didn't even check that no one made the request for me. So I'm literally paying for their mistakes and debating canceling their Internet again.

When my security system was set up, they switched my Internet modem saying the other one caused issues. False alarms? I can't recall, but it didn't sound good. Has anyone had issues with other modems and Internet providers?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Weither it CAN or CANT.. you would really have to talk to rogers on it.. but i beleive, that it MAY be a necessity?

The main reason that you have to use their service, and their new modem, etc.. is so that they can more gaurantee and monitor the connection for it.
The reason they changed your modem, etc.. is the same reason they really dont want to put it on peoples own wireless routers, is that there is sometimes issues with the device going through the routers NAT (firewall) for some features.
The specific modems they put in place, are set to work ok with it.
Also in alot of cases, its set up, like mine.. that the home monitoring, doesnt use the 'regular' visible wireless you see there.  The pad actually connect to a HIDDEN SSID on the modem.. to ensure that it has a connection, nothing else on that particular one, and that any changes (like password changes on the VISIBLE SSID) wouldnt then lock the monitoring out.

This is where using a different internet provider would come in then.. that they couldnt guarantee the connection through, etc.

There MAY also be stuff, that the software, etc may not work (website, iphone, etc apps)..  yes you can access those from any network itself, but the DATA is sent from the interface there, to the ROGERS server.. not sure how it goes from there, to the monitoring in your house.. but might not be able to do so that way, if you are on another provider.  Cant tell what your IP is necessarily going to be on the other provider, etc.

Really, you would have to call and ask.. but i am THINKING that rogers internet is a requirement.  😞 Sorry

When/if you do call back in, i would have them (i think billing) check your profile, and see what email you have set up on your pofile there.  WHEN you make a change, you should get an email about the change, with a copy of the terms of service, etc..  While the sheet REALLy isnt straight forward and is confusing, its usualy a good sign that the change was made on the account. (which didnt happen to you)  I get one every time i change something (when i added the light swich monitoring to my home security, when i added the unlimited internet, etc).

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks. I called tech support and asked. She said I could use another Internet provider. As to the issues with switching, hard to say what could come up. If I try it, I'll report back.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have been helping another on some stuff with the home security.
He wanted to turn the gateway 100% off and only use his own wifi instead of running two. As soon as he bridged mode'd the gateway, it would drop the network.
Both him (and myself) have asked if we could change it just to ours, but apparently not, as it won't alway work through the NAT on some 3rd party.

So while you could get it with another Internet, I am wondering if you wouldn't get the dual connection, just wireless only.