cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repurposing Smart Home Monitoring Equipment

moraroad
I've been here awhile

I am planning to cancel Smart Home Monitoring service and replace with a DIY system. I own all the equipment installed by Rogers, including the console and the sensors. What would I need to do to repurpose the system and add my own devices such as a survellance camera withou thaving to pay another service provider?

***Edited Labels***

37 REPLIES 37

Re: Repurposing Smart Home Monitoring Equipment

RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @moraroad

Unfortunately we wouldn't be able to provide you with the information for such installation as the task is not supported by Rogers.

@Gdkitty do you have any ideas? Anyone else in the Community have anything to chime in ?

@RogersPrasana

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I thought the consoles were rentals only? Huh.. never knew that.

My big concern would be.. is i am not sure if the console itself, WORKS without being connected by/through rogers.
It might.. but might need a custom firmware or something on it to work as stand alone.. .as the current config is all designed to go through rogers for authentication, etc.

Beyond that.. the sensors SHOULD work with any other system which is compatable with them. (which ones that are? i dont know).

Such things as a camera?
Again, would depend on the software/system the core touch pad (weither re formated rogers one or other brand).  Weither they can go THROUGH the monitoring software on the pad may be the question.
Beyond that.. just about any networked camera can be used with any network connection... just not tied in with say programmed things like a door opening, etc.

moraroad
I've been here awhile

Thanks gdkitty. From other comments I believe Rogers uses the Zigbee system. Any further insights? Thanks.

Unfortunately, not much.

Only had experience using the actual rogers system.

I have heard the same, that the sensors are zigbee.
One of the pannels.. was Technicolor.. the other i am not quite sure.

It would all be about finding COMPATABLE stuff.

(and again, comes down to a compatable base system then for everything to connect through, etc.

Unfortunately with all these new system, they are so interconnected, arent meant to be 'stand alone'
Compared to OLDER ones, which were stand alone, and really just called out when needed..

Hey @moraroad
@Gdkitty is right.

The Equipment (camera and sensor) can be reprogrammed but as far as I know with the same manufacture (Zigbee). However, your CCTV concept won't work. Since the Central hub needed is provided by rogers. (the servers and alert system)
Your Touch pad isn't the central hub per say, but it is the bridge to it.
That being said. You would some what need a replacement of your touch panel (touch pad is going to be a great tablet for the kids after that and not thing more).
However, installation, support and any potential warranty with it is thrown out the window when you go Solo like that.
even Zigbee won't support your current hardware as it is programmed for Rogers and that's a OS flash I believe.

@Gdkitty also mentioned about how old stuff was... YEAH I agree.
Old school had wiring. + and - and thats it. It was easy.
Now its all wifi and software this, firmware that... 😕 so it becomes proprietary hardware - even though as stock it WAS compatible.

Best of Luck though, Im sure you can find answers... but it's very limited.

Edit:

Main question to ask though, why are you even thinkin of cancelling Smart Home Monitoring?

I have it as well,

I use it for security but more importantly, Home automation is the reason I love it the most. If i start doing NEST and other brands their cost adds up - They have month cost too, fyi...

Anything bothering you?

What's the concern? Tell us, maybe we can help...

There are pros and cons to both Monitoring system and stand alone CCTV system. You probably want to make a decision after seing both cons (losses) and pros (gains) and try to compare apples to apples as much as possible...

What you are looking to do, is a full system change, this shouldn't be taken lightly... as it isn't cost friendly.

Cappy48
I'm here a lot

....for some items, the short answer is yes..

OLD rogers stuff is not compatible with NEW "others" stuff.

The recent cams are Icamera 1000's and 2's and are stock stuff.

You will need a home server (or a good PC configured as a server) to handle the video streams and the software package to handle the sensors and accept the rules.

Prepare to spend some $$$$ and if you are not familiar with the IP accesses and programming, you might have to hire someone to set it up.   (this assumes you are trying to duplicate the Rogers system features. )

Remote monitoring of cams is easy. (check the Q-SEE website) Getting them to sense notify and record is more difficult. Cross functions is server and software territory..

Good luck!

Dave

The main reason why anyone thinks about dumping Rogers is that they keep on increasing their charges in bits and pieces.  Perhaps most consumers don't notice.  If some notice and quit, they don't care because  most of the subscribers do not notice the increases.

I started by paying $37.86, including taxes.  They they bumped it up to $56.49 and now to $62.13.  They think that this has gone unnoticed or may be it is because the Canadian Dollar has weakend ?????????

Interesting..

My cost has remained the same for the past  2 years + ...

The weaker Canadian dollar would reflect in the cost of equiupment, but not reflect in the cost of the service.  (Cams and routers etc. are sourced in the US)

Dave

How closely do you read your bill @PSethi? Do you actually look into why the charges have increased or just look at the total? I'm sure if you actuall go into the bill and view the monthly charges you'll find out why the bill went up. It doesn't just go up for no reason, and even if there was an across the board price increase it would only happen one month, not over several months.

Just from personal experience, you probably had a promotion come off the account, you have late payment charges on the bill, or you have usage of some sort (assuming you have services other then the SHM).

Yeah, mine hasnt increased in price.
Well, it was a promo price of like $20 for the first year.. then went up to its regular pricing.. but has not changed from that.

Now, if you start adding other devices.. Adding a camera, adding the light controls, etc..  there is extra 'monitoring/control' montly feed associated with it.  That could drive the price up.
But that should have been explained when obtaining the service.

As well should show up as a seperate line on the bill.

AKA_KC
I've been around

Hi,

Would it be possible to add a non-Rogers Camera to existing monitoring system?

Thank

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @AKA_KC

Unfortunately you can not from what I know. I have asked the same but the answer was NO. You need to use the Rogers cameras which they give u. I do hope in the future they enable it.

I am guessing due to the nature of how it interacts with the system.. it needs to be pretty specific.

While any IP camera should work in the case of being able to see it from it, etc... it would need to be able to talk/communicate specifically with the rest of the rogers system.. (specific protocols, etc?) to be able to do its functions like to send video to the system to be sent out to you, etc.

dooberry
I've been here awhile

I've recently ditched thermostat, lighting, and water sensor and replaced with samsung smartthings hub. 

less than 1 year pay back on cancelling the 3.50/month charge for each one of those services.

pearl thermostat works with smarthings, as do a few of the old appliance plug-in switches.

@Gdkitty wrote:

I am guessing due to the nature of how it interacts with the system.. it needs to be pretty specific.

While any IP camera should work in the case of being able to see it from it, etc... it would need to be able to talk/communicate specifically with the rest of the rogers system.. (specific protocols, etc?) to be able to do its functions like to send video to the system to be sent out to you, etc.

@Gdkitty wrote:

Yes, there are many other options for most of the things.. wireless switches, thermostats, smoke detectors, etc.. which still work wirelessly, and be able to communicate to, outside of the house, without having to have the rogers system and pay the additional fee.

I use about 3 different ones at home, ontop of my rogers system (Wemo, nest, iComfort thermostat).

The ONLY advantage with the rogers system.. is the ability to chain/connect actions.

- Smoke detector goes off, while system in allarmed state? Contact the fire dept.

- If time is > 7pm, when the front door is open, trigger light control to turn on the front hall lights automatically.

Things like that

Sadik
I've been here awhile

I'm also thinking of doing the same, as i have stopped 24/7 monitoring but paying approximate $30/month for web access. I have this since 2011..so about time...i understand if i pay $10 or something for web access and wireless self monitoring..

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think the current plans, its $20 for the bassic package.
Automation, and remote access & alerts.

Unfortunately  you wont likely really see it any cheaper than that, due to part of that, is the RENTAL of the touchpad. (that is the only part of the system that no one owns)

One thing i like about the newer pad, and the monitoring, if you so choose to use it, is that it has 2 way voice.
Now the first contact they try is actually to contact the house touchpad (asking for the security code), before even then calling the first contact, etc.

harristr
I've been here awhile

Just checking to see if you ever go this working and if so what you replaced the Rogers pad / hub with to control everything?  

rathannet
I've been here awhile

I have rogers hardware from SHM, I cancelled service since the system did not work properly, Rogers left the hardware, however i want to use the camera but I hear it will not work with any other service then why do rogers make holes in walls if that does not work with any other device and why do they sell saying it will work with other services, I will complain Office of the Ombudsman that rogers sale man should not false advertise that the Camera will work after 2 year contract term ended.

I hope someone help me to make the camera work without the RSHM .

I would think that you would need to reset the camara first..
But at that point, would need to re-attach to the network.
The issue then comes down to, that its sort of designed to plug in wired to the rogers smarthome router.. connect on that network, i guess seeks out the touchpad, and pulls all the config for its wireless, etc.
I dont know if the device would just auto pick up an IP of a regular network. (even when just wired)

I think most of the rogers cameras are sercomm?
Might need something like this? http://www.sercomm.com/contpage.aspx?langid=1&type=prod3&L1id=2&L2id=3&L3id=7&Prodid=383
its used to connect the zigbee devices.. might act as a 'hub' for the cameras as well??

Might be best to reach out to Sercomm.  Explain which camera  you have.
Ask what/how, they may have some ideas.

Topic Stats