Repurposing Smart Home Monitoring Equipment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Repurposing Smart Home Monitoring Equipment

I would think that you would need to reset the camara first..
But at that point, would need to re-attach to the network.
The issue then comes down to, that its sort of designed to plug in wired to the rogers smarthome router.. connect on that network, i guess seeks out the touchpad, and pulls all the config for its wireless, etc.
I dont know if the device would just auto pick up an IP of a regular network. (even when just wired)

I think most of the rogers cameras are sercomm?
Might need something like this? http://www.sercomm.com/contpage.aspx?langid=1&type=prod3&L1id=2&L2id=3&L3id=7&Prodid=383
its used to connect the zigbee devices.. might act as a 'hub' for the cameras as well??

Might be best to reach out to Sercomm.  Explain which camera  you have.
Ask what/how, they may have some ideas.

I've Been Around

Hi
Has anyone explored or installed garage door device to link up with roger touchpad so that we can remotely open and close it?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While I know there area a few on the market.. dont think if any of them are specifically designed to work with the rogers system.  (as you need to get a zigbee capable one, not just wifi, etc. and it needs to connect to the touchpad app, etc).

Only way i could see to cheat the system, would be to use a device outlet based one.. where when you turned it on, powers the power port... which if that could trigger something to then send a quick close of the circuit to the garage door opener.
(all that is needed to send a signal to the garage door to open it, is to close an electrical circuit briefly.  I have 2 extra button openers set up in my house.. some telephone wire to where the button is.. and just put a basic doorbell button.  Pressing the button closes the circuit which tells it to open)

I've Been Around

I've recently cancelled my Rogers Smart Home Monitoring and gave my cameras to a friend who also uses Rogers Smart Home Monitoring. My cameras won't work with his system even though it's the exact same hardware. My hardware was working perfecting up until I cancelled my Rogers Home Monitoring service. We unplugged his camera and simply plugged mine in and it won't work. Any suggestions on how I can get them to work for my friend or an explanation as to why they won't work?

Hello @RobertBarrett,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and congrats on your very first post! 😃

It's awesome of you to give your cameras to a friend now that you won't need them. I can understand your concern with the cameras not working with your friend's system. Rest assured, the cameras themselves are not faulty as there is a bit of a complex process that needs to be done to "Pair" the cameras to the security router and Touchscreen. It is not a simple plug and play type of setup as the connection needs to be secured.

The process itself is not supported via remote channels. Your friend will need to reach out to us to have a service call scheduled so a technician can properly install and test the cameras with their system. They can either Call: 1-855-381-7840 or Chat: http://www.rogershelp.com/customerserv/SHM.php. Alternatively, they can also send us a Private Message to @CommunityHelps here in the Community.

If they are not familiar with the process you can direct them to this Blog.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I’m looking to swap out the touchpad. I don’t need cameras or anything like that (nor do I have them in my SHM setup).

I’d like to repurpose the door/window and motion sensors to another compatible Zigbee system, but the Samsung Smartthings hub doesn’t recognize the sensors.

Anybody got a suggestion for a compatible hub? I don’t need monitoring anymore - just home security/alarm.

Thanks.
I've Been Around

getting rid of RSHM system. usable to someone else???

I have cancelled my Rogers Smart Home Monitoring and would like to sell the system. Rogers says they won't hook up a used system for someone else, it belongs to me and only me. would it be useful in any way to anyone else? shame to add it to the landfill.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hey jaimicksona - when you cancelled, did you have to return the hub?

I would cancel my service if they didn't take the hub back (would solve my hub/sensor issue), and if they really don't hook up used systems, then logic would say they wouldn't take it back.

Curious about your experience?

R.

Hey @jaimicksona,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and thanks for your first post! 

We're sorry to hear you've cancelled your Smart Home Monitoring service. Like you, I think it seems wasteful to throw your equipment away. If you pass your sensors on secondhand to another Rogers customer, we could pair the equipment to their existing system. 

@RobbieD, to answer your question, the Touchpad is typically a rental and needs to be returned upon cancellation. 

RogersTim