cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outdated Equipment

jasonqb
I've been here awhile

I have had Rogers home monitoring for 7 months
worse decision... the equipment frequently legs, key pad freezes light bulbs loose connection
they will be quick to tell you that you get to own the equipment but guess what.. the equipment is useless with out Rogers internet
DO NOT BUY THIS
THE EQUIPMENT IS FROM 1990s

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Outdated Equipment

jasonqb
I've been here awhile
You are correct that Rogers is just like their competitors in that their equipment is dependent on their services, however to imply everyone else is doing that, so it's ok.?
no offence but that really is a poor excuse. It's still does not change the fact that Rogers is taking advantage of the consumer when their equipment doesn't fulfill the promise of delivering services.
I may have paid the cancellation fee if I was able to use the equipment independently from Rogers, like a cell phone.
I would not ever again go into a contract if the equipment is totally dependent on the companies services.

Also Rogers competitors offer basic features that Rogers don't offer
- all their equipment is Google and Alexa supported
- the cameras have two Way communication
- tracking capabilities
-all products from competitors will work without wifi (cameras temperature control, door sensors, door locks and fire alarms.,)
That's just a few examples I've researched between Rogers and other competitors. Rogers equipment is out of date, equipment from 2015 unlike other competitors

my deal breaker with Rogers is that the equipment supplied has never been reliable and I've spent Way to much time constantly pairing equipment, calling tech, speaking with multiple managers, replacing key pad 3 times (only had service for 4 months)

All the issues I've experienced with Rogers equipment had nothing to do with wifi connectivity however I have 2 independent cameras, a August door lock, a August lock keypad, a nest video doorbell, 10 wifi light bulbs, 15 wifi smart plugs and not once in 3 years have I had no wifi interruptions, unlike countless interruptions with Rogers connectivity equipment without the fault of wifi connectivity

My issue is solved, I was able to reason with the president office and they agreed to not charge me the cancellation fee and required the equipment returned.
I was happy to return the equipment because I had no idea how to recycle the equipment!!!
My endless problems with Rogers out dated equipment are finished now!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @jasonqb!

Welcome to the community!

It's disheartening to hear you're having such a negative experience with your Smart Home Monitoring! It's highly likely you'll require a technician onsite to resolve these issues. In addition it's possible the technician may need to replace the touchpad as this shouldn't be freezing up. Have you had a technician visit to address them or do you have one scheduled to visit? If not I would recommend reaching out to technical support or us here @CommunityHelps for assistance at your convenience. We will definitely want to ensure that your system is running properly. For more information on our PM system you can check out our Blog.

In addition, the service requires internet access yes, but not specifically Rogers internet access. If you do have any other questions or concerns though definitely let us know!

@RogersAndy

jasonqb
I've been here awhile

I have had multiple tech visits and tech phone calls
I have done my due diligence
I've contacted the ombudsman

Rogers is taking advantage of the consumer at require a more than $400 cancellation fee when the products are useless with out Rogers services

Oh and now my nest product is not compatible with your service

Hello @jasonqb,

If you're already in contact with our Ombudsman office I'm sure they will be able to address your concerns. 

RogersZia

@jasonqb wrote:

I have had multiple tech visits and tech phone calls
I have done my due diligence
I've contacted the ombudsman

Rogers is taking advantage of the consumer at require a more than $400 cancellation fee when the products are useless with out Rogers services

Oh and now my nest product is not compatible with your service

If you look at just about ANY of the home monitoring services (bells, ADT, etc) you will find that they are all the same way.
They all use a more 'local' type wireless connectivity (Zigbee/zwave, etc) between their devices.  Which really leave them all locked in to specifically which evers system allows the usage of those devices with those communications.

Vs say stuff you buy on your own, which communicate specifically via wifi, so it doesnt really matter.

The rogers system will allow most of the devices to all communicate with the system, even when the internet is down. Can still lock, allarm, etc. may just not be able to do it remotely.

No different than stuff you set up on  your own when the internet is down.

All in all, if you want the most flexibility, movability (Be able to use your stuff anywhere regardless of where you are, say if you move to an area  you cant get rogers, etc), would yes to buy all general wifi connected devices.
Someone may just have to do a little more research if they want everything to be all more interconnected. (as there are so many 3rd party ones out there and they dont necessarily all talk to each other.  You might need to run a handfull of apps for each device).

I myself run a mix of stuff.
I run  the smarthome for the door/window sensors, and monitoring.  I do have a few of the wifi pugs which seem to work fine.  Added a few of the switches which also seem to work perfectly fine.  Have two of the cameras, which were free with my last renewals.. are meh, but work.
But my thermostat is separate.  My full blown security cameras are separate.  And a few other devices, which the rogers stuff just doesnt meet the same quality.

(As for the NEST stuff, thats not really rogers fault.  Nest allowed their account and stuff to be able to work the system rogers is using.  Nest was bought by google, and switching over to them.  If google is not allowing this.. thats not rogers fault)

jasonqb
I've been here awhile
You are correct that Rogers is just like their competitors in that their equipment is dependent on their services, however to imply everyone else is doing that, so it's ok.?
no offence but that really is a poor excuse. It's still does not change the fact that Rogers is taking advantage of the consumer when their equipment doesn't fulfill the promise of delivering services.
I may have paid the cancellation fee if I was able to use the equipment independently from Rogers, like a cell phone.
I would not ever again go into a contract if the equipment is totally dependent on the companies services.

Also Rogers competitors offer basic features that Rogers don't offer
- all their equipment is Google and Alexa supported
- the cameras have two Way communication
- tracking capabilities
-all products from competitors will work without wifi (cameras temperature control, door sensors, door locks and fire alarms.,)
That's just a few examples I've researched between Rogers and other competitors. Rogers equipment is out of date, equipment from 2015 unlike other competitors

my deal breaker with Rogers is that the equipment supplied has never been reliable and I've spent Way to much time constantly pairing equipment, calling tech, speaking with multiple managers, replacing key pad 3 times (only had service for 4 months)

All the issues I've experienced with Rogers equipment had nothing to do with wifi connectivity however I have 2 independent cameras, a August door lock, a August lock keypad, a nest video doorbell, 10 wifi light bulbs, 15 wifi smart plugs and not once in 3 years have I had no wifi interruptions, unlike countless interruptions with Rogers connectivity equipment without the fault of wifi connectivity

My issue is solved, I was able to reason with the president office and they agreed to not charge me the cancellation fee and required the equipment returned.
I was happy to return the equipment because I had no idea how to recycle the equipment!!!
My endless problems with Rogers out dated equipment are finished now!

Sorry, I am confused about part of your reply there.. 

Is that not what you were complaining about to begin with?

I believe the cameras yes require the wifi to be running.  Cant comment on the temp control.  But all the other sensors (motion, door, etc), door locks, etc.  All run on the zigbee/zwave and have nothing to do with the wifi.

But that is what locks them into NOT being able to use as easy OUTSIDE of being on a system like this.

I think its all up to each person.  Other than the wifi lightbulb, I have never had a failure on any of my stuff.  All the sensors, cameras, etc all have worked fine.
One Touchpad swap (from the original SMC to the newest) and one battery swap.  But we are talking like going on 5 years now?  It suits my needs for what it does for me.  For the alarm part, for the door locks, and setting up triggering/chaining of programs for those things, work just fine for me.  (Oh, i do have one camera, but its not set up for anything major, just basic recording of whos coming through the door).
For a user who wants a basic security system, etc.  It works.

While it does have some of the home automation, its not the BEST overall by far otherwise.
Yes,  you are sometimes better, depending on what your looking for, to go with other 3rd party stuff.
I have my own full blown stand alone camera system as other stuff didnt meet the needs.  (heck even the nest ones, etc dont meet my needs, I dont want it all cloud saved)

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 in conversation