Black photos and video in Rogers Home Monitoring App (Android only)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Black photos and video in Rogers Home Monitoring App (Android only)

Since there doesn't seem to be a home monitoring specific section (why not?), I put this here.  I just had RHM installed yesterday, and I have to say it's pretty neat, so far, but I'm having an issue with the Smart Home Monitoring App.

I set up some camera rules, to record video and photo every time the door gets opened.  From smarthome.rogers.com, everything looks great.  I can see the video and the series of 5 photos that it records.  BUT, when I try to view from my phone in the smart home monitoring app (Android only, it works fine in iOS), it shows me a single image (the first image in the 5 set, I think), and then 5 black screens, but no video.  If I turn off the video rule, I see 1 image and 4 black screens.  If I turn off the camera rule and turn the video rule back on, the video works fine.  But combining the two seems to break the display in the app.  Anyone have any ideas?  I tried this on both my phone (an unlocked Sony Xperia ZL) and my wife's phone (a Rogers Samsung S5), and it behaves identically on both devices.

***Edited Labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Black photos and video in Rogers Home Monitoring App (Android only)

I asked for a SHM section a long time ago Smiley Happy

Interesting.. so it IS recording, etc right.. you can see it via the web and iOS..

its just android..
What OS versions are both of the android on?

Wonering if its something much like how there are problems with the anyplace TV, etc with the newer android OS's Smiley Sad

I Plan to Stick Around

Yup, it works fine in iOS and on the web, but looks weird in Android. I've had to turn off the photo rule so that we can at least see videos from our phones.

On my Xperia, it's currently Android 4.4. On my wife's S5, she just upgraded to 5.0
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm.. with the different OS versions.. sounds more just like a BUG in the android version of the app Smiley Sad

I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah, that's what I figured... But I guess I was just wondering if naybody else had encountered it.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Dont see a ton of home monitoring users on here Smiley Sad

Its a feature i want to add, but not worrying about it yet.. extra cost when not really going to use it right now.

I've Been Around

Got the new IOS 10 downloaded. Don't know if that effected the ability of the app to playback recorded videos or it is a Rogers App problem. Guess I will call Rogers again for the 100th time and start the same old time consuming dance

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just checked on mine.

appears to be able to capture fine..show live video fine.

But your right, playback, is not working from there.

Playback, DOES work on the web interface. (so its not an issue of playback of the videos period).

My guess, is yeah, its a bug in the app.. something needs to be iOS10 updated Smiley Tongue