cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Refund

GriffonK
I've been around

Rogers Msg: Because of a recent billing mistake, we've sent you a refund via secure text. (LINK REMOVED FOR SECURITY REASONS)
from 12895004678

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Wireless Refund

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That would be a phishing scam.

Any refunds would be done via refunding DIRECTLY to you account.

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That would be a phishing scam.

Any refunds would be done via refunding DIRECTLY to you account.

cvogel
I've been here awhile

Oct. 22, 12:29 pm, received a text message that reads, "Rogers Wireless:  An amount of $343.95 was refunded.  To deposit your funds see **LINK REMOVED FOR SECURITY REASONS** I presume this is a scam.  

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@cvogel wrote:

Oct. 22, 12:29 pm, received a text message that reads, "Rogers Wireless:  An amount of $343.95 was refunded.  To deposit your funds see **LINK REMOVED FOR SECURITY REASONS** I presume this is a scam.  

Yes, and good on you for your instinct to believe this is a scam. It certainly smells like one.

Any refunds I have received from Rogers were automatically credited on my invoice, or sent to my house as a pay cheque for me to cash at the bank, Never as a text message from a number I do not recognize.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Pauly wrote:

Yes, and good on you for your instinct to believe this is a scam. It certainly smells like one.

Any refunds I have received from Rogers were automatically credited on my invoice, or sent to my house as a pay cheque for me to cash at the bank, Never as a text message from a number I do not recognize.

Even if you recognize the number, phone numbers are regularly spoofed by scammers/telemarketers, so it's always good to be aware of anything out of the ordinary and check back with the corporation in question by contacting them, rather than the other way around.  It's always safest if you contact them through normal means.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

Even if you recognize the number, phone numbers are regularly spoofed by scammers/telemarketers, so it's always good to be aware of anything out of the ordinary and check back with the corporation in question by contacting them, rather than the other way around.  It's always safest if you contact them through normal means.

I agree 101% with that statement. As a consumer, you must do your due diligence if you are unsure of something or if it seems suspicious, call their official channel and clarify

Rick1952
I've been around

Got this text message on my wife’s phone:

Your Rogers wireless services is refunding you for the end of the year due to payments on time. Get your refund here: 

xxx

Got the # as well: xxx

Removed URL and number for security reasons (RogersMoin) 

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Rick1952 wrote:

Got this text message on my wife’s phone:

Your Rogers wireless services is refunding you for the end of the year due to payments on time. Get your refund here: 

xxx

Got the # as well: xxx

Removed URL and number for security reasons (RogersMoin) 

its definitely a scam.  Any time I received a Refund, it shows up on my next months invoice as a CREDIT. There is no need to receive it as a text message and ask for your banking info to deposit when they can simply apply a credit to your invoice,  people need to be made aware of these scams so the scammers dont scam people and eventually stop

RK14
I've been around

I received a text +1(306) 900-6085 saying”rogers” has sent you an Interact Money Return and is now available. I clicked on the link which showed a refund of $80.60. I did not continue with the process before checking it out. Is this a scam and have I created problems by opening the link?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Your post was probably moved to this existing thread on the scam.  Check out earlier posts.  As long as you didn't fill anything out, you're probably OK.  Good on you for checking here first.

Check out the following post for additional info:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud-Discussions/Smishing-message-from-quot-ROG...

Will I get a text from Rogers if they have sent a credit to my account?says to follow link to Https://bit.ly/ MyRogers-refund. it seems suspicious to me.

Hello @Trevorstewart,

Welcome to the Community!

I'm glad you've reached out for clarification. If or when we send out a refund it's either as a bill credit on your invoice or a check mailed out to you. We would never ask you to click on links to enter your banking information in a text message. 

I would suggest you to report the message back to us by simply forwarding the suspected SPAM message to 7726 (SPAM). The messages will be audited and then blocked from the Rogers network as a whole. 

Just as an FYI never share personal information or click on any links or open any attachments if they seem suspicious.

RogersZia

I received this text, is it a scam? I have a negative balance on my account but no longer a Rogers customer, waiting for my refund, thought this was it:
“Rogers wireless service: We’ve noticed that there has been an overcharge in your payments over the last three months. To get your refund, click on the following link: (Removed potential Malicious URL- RogersTony)

Good morning @Grubick!

Welcome to our Community!

You were right to be concerned, this is definitely a scam. We do not send refunds via text message. Any refunds we send to you will be communicated via a message in your bill.

You can keep your information safe by staying vigilant and refraining from clicking on any links you receive from unsolicited text messages. When in doubt, you can always reach out to us directly @CommunityHelps and we can confirm whether or not a text message is legitimate.

Regards,

RogersCorey

I received a text from 1 604 706 8027 at 10PM Jan 20 saying:

ROGERS: We sent you a refund due to an overcharge on your balance of account linked to your phone number (xxxxxxxxxx) Deposit your funds: Removed the phone number and malicious link - RogersMoin

Obvious scam is obvious. Hate these creeps.

Hello, @Arunsehgal.

Thank you for joining the Community and for raising awareness of such scams!

To recap different types of common frauds as covered in one of our blogs earlier: 

Spam: Usually emails with compromised links or images containing malware and/or viruses

Phishing: Also usually emails, specifically designed to trick you into divulging personal and/or financial info

Smishing: SMS Phishing

Vishing: Voice Phishing

If you receive a Spam call or Vishing call DO NOT respond. Hang up immediately.

If you receive a Phishing email or Smishing SMS DO NOT open or click on it. Delete it immediately.

For Smishing specifically, you can forward the content of the SMS to 7726 (SPAM), to register it for investigation and blocking from Rogers/Fido network. (Messages sent to 7726 will be analyzed in batches as they are received)

For any other tips or further information on any type of fraud, visit the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I got a text from (907)-500-2707 saying,
"Notification
You have received a refund from Rogers. Click here to claim your funds"
There was an attachment to this website - URL removed for security reasons - RogersMoin
I have not clicked it yet, Is this a scam?

Hello @JodieLen,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for your post.

I am glad you did not click on the link included in the text. As a general rule, never click or enter personal information in links sent from  unknown numbers. As mentioned above, if you ever have a refund on your account it would either be mailed out via check or applied to your account balance.

If you'd like please report the message back to us by simply forwarding the suspected SPAM message to 7726 (SPAM). The messages will be audited and then blocked from the Rogers network.

RogersZia

Harvind
I've been around
I got a text message saying I was owed a refund and a link to rogerswirelessrefund(dot)com. The link is a fake interac website and the bank account links lead you to for example the RBC home page and ask you to sign in under that same wirelessrefund link. This is a well put together scam and I feel like many people got their bank info stolen this way.

Hello, @Harvind.

Welcome! Thank you for joining the Rogers Community. 🙂

I applaud your efforts of raising awareness of such scams. Your post can help others who receive such smishing texts. 

Thank you for your contribution! 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

INTERAC TRANSFER: ROGERS WIRELESS has sent you transfer. (Removed potentially malicious URL - RogersTony) Data Rates Ma... Received the above-captioned txt message from 1 (855)841-6132 at 4:43 this a.m.  I believe it is fraud related.

Topic Stats