Voice Mail Scams

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Voice Mail Scams

I need more information on this kind of scam.

I received this email which was blocked by Outlook as indicated.

Blocked access to message.png

Subject: New voice message 1226510**** in mailbox 1226510**** from "1226510****" <2072968531>

Dear user:

just wanted to let you know you were just left a 0:45 long message (number 1226510****) in mailbox 122651080**** from "1226510****" <2072968531>, on Thu, 21 Sep 2017 09:31:32 +0700 so you might want to <a href="http://www.100kisses.org/voice.html>check</a> it when you get a chance.  Thanks!

--Voicemail Service

***Edited Labels***

Re: Voice Mail Scams

Hi @User14!

This just seems like your atypical phishing scam that's trying to convince its victims to click on the link.

You can learn more at the RCMP website here: E-mail Fraud / Phishing

At that site, you can also find a place to report phishing scams near the bottom of the page. 

Regards,

RogersCorey

I'm a Trusted Contributor

RogersCorey wrote:

You can learn more at the RCMP website here: E-mail Fraud / Phishing

At that site, you can also find a place to report phishing scams near the bottom of the page. 

These are interesting recommendations considering the email appears to be sent from: 

Voicemail Service <vmservice@rogers.com>  

If you receive one of these suspicious e-mails:

Report it to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre or the institution that it appears to be from.

• Step 4 - Always report phishing. If you have responded to one of these suspicious e-mails, report it to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre

Canadian Anti-fraud Centre - Centre Anti-fraude

You have to dig deeper to find out how to report spam or phishing.

Report Spam and Phishing

So what is the Rogers "policy" or "practice" when you receive a phishing email allegedly from Rogers? 

1. Delete it?

2. Report it? If so,  To whom?

3. Ignore it?

I need a clearer answer.

Hello @User14,

Having clarity on the steps involved to protect yourself and others by reporting these type of phishing scams is really important. Identity theft has become a major issue these days and technology has made it so much easier for people to become victims.

It's great that you've set up your Outlook to block these type of emails. If it does appear to be from Rogers please reach out to us before doing anything and we can validate if this is a legitimate Rogers communication. If it is legitimate then you have nothing to worry about but if it's not then reporting it via the steps outlined in the link provided by RogersCorey is the best way to go.

By reporting this type of activity we can better protect ourselves and others. Once it has been reported the Government of Canada will investigate and hopefully find the source or at least attempt to block these type of scams in the future.

Should you receive these type of messages via Text Message please forward the Text Message to 7-7-2-6 (S-P-A-M) and Rogers will investigate and block those messages from our network.

I hope this helps clarify things for you!

RogersTony

I'm a Senior Advisor

RogersTony wrote:

Should you receive these type of messages via Text Message please forward the Text Message to 7-7-2-6 (S-P-A-M) and Rogers will investigate and block those messages from our network.

Spam texts are particularly injurious when you have to pay for them, like I do with PayGo. I always forward them to that number (it costs nothing) and on occasions when I get multiple texts like that from the same source, I only get charged for one and sometimes not at all.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation