Something a bit different...I think.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Something a bit different...I think.

Recently I had problems with my Rogers home phone to the point that a visit from the Tech resulted in a Ticket being issued for the problem.  I gave them my Fido cell phone # to contact me should they need to do so.  Several days later I received a call from someone identifying themselves as being with Rogers on my cell...but before we could really speak the call dropped.  I waited a bit for a return call and when that didn't happen I redialed the number.  When the connection was made I got a recorded message as follows..."The # you are calling from has been flagged by Rogers as a phone scamming #...Good Bye". 

I contacted Fido and they have no issues that my number is involved in such activity.  I contacted Rogers(by Chat) to tell them what had transpired and was told "Sorry to hear that, doesn't sound like a legit call from us."  So then I said 'Should I be reporting it to some one in Rogers? Your advise pls.'  They responded with "I'll document it. For now is there anything else I can help with, questions on how to get the most out of your service or any other inquiries today xxxxxxx?"

I would hate think that indeed Rogers is flagging my cell number as someday I may need to call them from it.

Any thoughts or suggestions from the community? 

*Added Labels*

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Something a bit different...I think.

Hey @Webster01!

Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention. This certainly doesn't sound like a legitimate call. To confirm, are you able to dial 1-888-ROGERS-1 without issues?

If so then it's good your account was noted and it's as anticipated that the call was indeed not legitimate and we thank you for your patience and concern regarding unauthorized use of our toll free number from 3rd parties. Caller I.D. Spoofing is an issue that affects customers across the industry. All carriers are working with the CRTC and industry partners to reduce spoofed calls and unwanted mass calling. While we cannot stop this from happening, we can provide some helpful tips on how to protect yourself from spoofing and spam calls. Please click the link below:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/how-to-protect-yourself-from-caller-id-spoofing-and-...

To find out about scams and fraudulent activity please call Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre toll free at 1-888-495-8501 or visit antifraudcentre.ca

@RogersAndy

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Something a bit different...I think.

Thanks Andy for your reply.  I tried the Rogers 1 number just now it was fine.  The number that called me showed as comming from Markham, Ont and the # was 905 489-0429.  My only concern is if it was not a legitimate call the person who called supposedly identified himself as working for Rogers etc. and addressed me properly as Mr. xxxxx also knew that we were having issues with our home phone.  Its quite a world we live in I'm afraid.