Social Insurance Number scam

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Social Insurance Number scam

Yesterday, September 23, 2020, I got two calls from these numbers:

+1 (800) 330 1548,
+1 (877) 230 1841,

and a male robot voice told me there were problems with my SIN and gave me instructions to press a button and talk with somebody.

Today September 24, 2020, I got a similar call from: 
+1 (800) 220 0405.

The same voice said: "This is Service Canada. We have got an order to suspend your Social Insurance Number ..."

How can I get rid of these calls? Each cost $CAN 0.5. The phone I have is with a  Pay As You Go Card and if the calls keep like this they will drain it.

*Added Labels*

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Social Insurance Number scam

@bogdanlazar wrote:  How can I get rid of these calls? Each cost $CAN 0.5. The phone I have is with a  Pay As You Go Card and if the calls keep like this they will drain it.

Since there are so many telemarketing/scam calls these days, I don't answer (or return) any calls on my PAYGo phone unless they're in my "address book".  I also don't have voicemail active on my PAYGo phone so that I don't have to pay for telemarketing/scam calls that go to voicemail.  I realize that these are not viable options for some people, but thought I'd mention it nevertheless.  I do still have a Rogers "home phone" for most calls and only use the PAYGo cell for emergencies.

Very soon the Service providers are going to have to do something helpful about these telemarketers/spoofers as outlined in the following link:  Let's hope that gets rid of the vast majority of these annoyances.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud-Discussions/CRTC-steps-up-efforts-to-comba...

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Well...all i can think of to tell u if u dont want to pay 0.5$ each and every time a telemarketer calls or a scam call comes in....is simply just dont answer the phone.....
I had this phone number call me last week....i had absolutely no idea who the number was....regardless....I answered....this guy took about 10secs and me saying hello about 4 times before he started....thats when I knew.....sk he said in an xtreemly irritated and completelh . off tone that I frauded my SIN card....that I have to press 1 to the officer in charge of the investigation....that if I hang theyd be busting down my door in 5-10mins....cause they had the RCMP on standby down the street....sk j played along.....pressed 1....this other completely . dude starts telling that frauded my SIN.... he asked my name, my adress...AND go figure....literaly my SIN

Anyways....he only asked 1 more to.e and when i refused again and he started saying that rcmp were on route I told him to go away and hung up

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One more comment. If you get charged for a lot of these calls, you can ask the charges be reversed when you talk to the PAYGo CSRs, whom I find to be very helpful.  About once or twice a year, I need to talk to them about something and at that time I will ask for a credit for these calls if there have been a lot of them. Lately I haven't had to bother since, luckily, I haven't received many.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Account-Support/Can-t-purchase-data-pass/m-p/426891#M22822