Rogers survey turned out to be a scam

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers survey turned out to be a scam

Just as an FYI, I run a Mac Mini (so not a Windows issue).  I use an Apple Airport Extreme connected by wire to my Mac Mini and to a bridged Rogers Modem.

I have not gone to the Yahoo Canada site in a couple of days and the issue has not re-occurred. I now utilize a direct bookmark for the Rogers/Yahoo e-mail login page (rather than the mail link on Yahoo page) and never did encounter the issue within Webmail, only on the Yahoo Canada webpage.

Strange how different the issue is for different people.  I discussed the issue with Rogers and they were pretty sure that sometime in the past I clicked on a link to allow the "notification" that hijacks my browser. I'm very careful with this sort of thing and do not recall clicking any such links (other than confirmed/checked links from Rogers.)

I Plan to Stick Around

I ran a direct wire from the router to my mac as well. But it still happened as long as the cable went through the router. If I ran the cable direct from the modem it would not happen

Mine was always direct link to rogers mail, not the yahoo page. It would redirect every few minutes if I was in mail. However, if I refrained from checking my mail, it would last a couple days and then some other site would redirect. One day it was from one of these help forum pages.

And I know for a fact that I never clicked on the scam survey. I am also very careful.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lynA wrote:

And I know for a fact that I never clicked on the scam survey. I am also very careful.

It's not a matter of clicking on the survey. I didn't click it either.  It's a matter of clicking a link in an e-mail that you may have received that looked like it came from Rogers, but was in fact from the scammers (or hackers).  By clicking such a link in an e-mail people can open themselves to such "notifications" which hijack the browser.

As you say, it may also have something to do with the router hack, or malware...

I Plan to Stick Around

Lyn thx for all the detail in the steps you took … well before I toss the router in the garbage like Lyn did, my IT friends have suggested trying 5 things:  upgrade my 10 years old firmware, create a random SSID name in settings, enable the firewall, disable “admin via wireless”, and change the DNS server address to 8.8.8.8 (Google) (supposed to be faster than Rogers anyway), which I’ll try this weekend and report back.  It looks like the Rogers router inside their modem is not affected, or Lyn’s fix of getting a new modem would not have worked.

Has anyone who uses Rogers built-in router had this screen hijack fake survey scam?

Even if a fix is found with one of these steps, who knows what malware is still there, and I'm hesitant to do anything important like banking.

I Plan to Stick Around

So, I guess I spoke too soon.  After NINE days of using my email problem free with a new router, the rogers email site just redirected for the first time.

This makes no sense to me.  Before I replaced the router, it would redirect several times an hour.  Once, it redirected four times while I was in the process of writing one email.  Why would it stop for NINE days after getting the new router?  

I Plan to Stick Around

@lynA wrote:

So, I guess I spoke too soon.  After NINE days of using my email problem free with a new router, the rogers email site just redirected for the first time.

This makes no sense to me.  Before I replaced the router, it would redirect several times an hour.  Once, it redirected four times while I was in the process of writing one email.  Why would it stop for NINE days after getting the new router?  

4 times in 1 email, I bet you said some choice words. 

Unbelievable.  So either you got re-infected or it was the Rogers modem/router that’s been hacked all along.  I have the Hiltron CGN2-ROG Rev 1A modem/router, and on the back it shows their http is 192.168.0.1.  Like you I have it bridged so I use my router instead of the Rogers one in the modem.  I don’t know if customers are supposed to surf to that site to check settings the way we do on our own router sites, or if it’s only for Rogers’ use.  So I guess we could take the modem/router back to Rogers and get a replacement to see if that works.

I have a VPN and when I activate it to be anonymous it changes my physical location to the USA, and gives me an IP address in the USA.  When I activate it and go on Yahoo to do email or their main web page I never get redirected to the fake page, even when I stay on the site for a while.  So for the hack to suck people in it has to be dealing with a Rogers customer (otherwise why the “Rogers” survey), so with a location and IP change I guess it assumes I’m not on Rogers, and doesn’t redirect me.  So I’m thinking it’s “reading” the Rogers modem/router so it knows it has a Rogers user.  BTW, I’ve noticed 2 sites that start the redirecting are s0u.jerb and voluumtrek.horizon-trading.com  and I reported them to Firefox’s deceptive site report.  They seem to mostly redirect to cutefeedback.com or todayresearch.com, and the first one has a whole Terms and Conditions page of small print where you sign away your life.

Later today I’m doing the 5 steps (above) that my IT guys suggested, but I doubt it will work, I think you proved it's the Rogers modem/router, it's the only thing left to change.

I'm Here A Lot

I keep getting the survey, every few minutes, I have tried all the usual, no suspicious program in my control panel list, no suspicious cookies, Malwarebytes does not find it. Why doesn't Rogers on line protection pick it up and isolate it?? Mike.

FYI, using Firefox, and its up to date.

I Plan to Stick Around

Because they don't care just like when their mail system went down for 5 days that time a couple years ago.

If I stay off the rogers email site, my problem pretty much disappears.

I Plan to Stick Around

I also talked to our IT star at work, who said the Rogers modem/router could be hacked.  Rogers says their modem/router can't be hacked, Rogers knows about this hack, said it's been around for a while, and the hackers are using IP addresses to target people.  Anyway a couple days ago I did 2 things, I went on the site for my DLink modem and disabled "admin via wireless", and I went to Control Panel, Network and Internet, Change adapter settings, right click Ethernet properties, double click Internet Protocol V4, and make sure Obtain IP Automatically is selected, and then at the bottom select Use Following DNS Server and for Preferred put in 8.8.8.8 and for Alternate use 8.8.4.4  which are Google instead of Rogers.  Since then I've surfed all over Yahoo's mail page and main page, and no more hacked survey page popup.  If it pops up again I'll try taking the Rogers Hiltron modem/router back for a swap, they said they'd so a swap on request.  I'm not holding my breath after Lyn got hacked after 9 days clean.  I also didn't get the hack if I used my VPN to change my IP address, which supports what Rogers said.  But it would be nice to know if the hack is completely wiped and there is no malware to mess with important stuff like banking.  And I know Google is reported to track your surfing if you use their DNS, so they can target ads to you, but that's not a big prob for me, first I want this hack gone.

Lyn I can't recall, did you swap your Rogers modem/router?  I know you got a new one of your own.

I Plan to Stick Around

The router that I replaced was an old D-Link one... the firmware was old and couldn't be updated.  So, I figured that I needed a new one anyway.  My modem is an old one from Rogers that is only a modem.... I know now-a-days they give people the ones that are combo router/modem, but this one is really old and is just a modem.  I would call Rogers and get a new one, but A) that would involve speaking to Rogers again about this issue and they don't care, B) they will probably make me pay for this new fancy modem, either monthly or buying outright, and C) if it comes to that, I will just call some other company and stop paying Rogers thousands of dollars a year for internet, cable, home phone, and wireless.

Coming on PPV!
Spence vs. Garcia Live
LIVE: Saturday March 16, 2019 9PM ET
Preshow: 8:00 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
Ignite TV customers can order as of March 13
DTV Customers can order as of March 14
Spence vs. Garcia Promo

IBF welterweight world Champion Errol Spence Jr. (24-0, 21 KOs) will defend his belt against four-division world champion and current WBC lightweight titlist Mikey Garcia (39-0, 30 KOs), who will move up two weight divisions to go for a world title in a fifth division in a meeting between two of boxing’s elite pound-for-pound best in the world.