Rogers survey turned out to be a scam

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Rogers survey turned out to be a scam

I'm using Windows 7 and FF and get no hijack at the Yahoo site and the hijack URL gives me a error.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR:

1. Thanks for testing. The hijack doesn't occur every time I'm on the Yahoo Canada site, only occasionally.

2. The URL is the one that is displayed once you're on the survey site and it still works for me, but perhaps because I have a cookie...  I did get an error a couple of times when trying out the URL...

3. I checked through my FF History and came up with the following URL, which may be the "original" one that then redirects to the survey.

Removed the URL for security reasons - RogersMoin

I've Been Around

Hi, I got one offer scam that had a heading of Amazon. I use Amazon as I do Rogers.  I ignored the Amazon one then around May 5 I looked at it and went for some beauty cream for my girl friend, I have to pay freight. That is it get you Credit Card number. I dd not have any fine print disclaimer on the bottom as this Rogers one has just now.

To bad I waited to check my statement and it showed the freight cost twice and a couple of different products. I did get the one I has asked for for completing the survey, but never any other to date as listed on my statement as it as been a good month and a half. U called my Card Carrier and they gave me telephone numbers . Both transactions have different names but are same company. I got through and asked them why, they said I agreed to the disclaimer, I sad there was none If there was I would have read it and declined you. Plus you change goods that are not shipped. They offered me to do a waiver and they would pay back less that half.  I said yo scammed me and robbed me, ho could you do this. I said I will contact my credit card company and legal help. 

They said fine call back if you change our mind.  Rogers this is a scam going on for a while, deal with it please. 

Ron and disenchanted guy on pension.

I Plan to Stick Around

So a Defender deep scan did not stop the ad, and it was recommended I try the "Refresh Firefox" option.  Now the Rogers survey is gone, and the Windows Repair is gone, and it's now an ad for Aveno skin care, no way to decline it, have to exit Firefox to get out of it.  I would try an adware remover like AVG or Malware-bytes if there was some evidence it would work.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, it happened to me again this morning. See my earlier posts on the last couple of pages.

I'm going to stop going to the Yahoo Canada webpage and see if that puts an end to it, or whether they still find me.  I do look at Webmail almost daily so I have a bookmark for that login page now.  The scammers may still find me.

Speaking of bookmarks, I use one of my bookmarks to get away from the scam website, rather than exiting my browser.

C'mon Rogers/Yahoo - isn't there something you can do to stop these scammers hijacking my browser?

I Plan to Stick Around

57, thx for the bookmarks tip to load a different bookmark, didn't think of that.  Well the old Rogers survey followed by the fake Windows Repair is back, so Refreshing Firefox did not work.  Yes the only time this happens is in Yahoo email, I don't think it even happens on the main Yahoo news page, will give that a try.  In Yahoo email I just have to wait a half a minute and it pops up.  If I start composing an email it seems to speed it up.  There are tons of posts on the net about this ad charging sucker's credit cards for huge extra charges if they fall for the free gift plus shipping.  Has anyone with this tried a popup remover like AVG or Malware Bytes? ... something with a good review from PC World, CNet etc?

I Plan to Stick Around

Well I might have the fix, it's worked so far.  I read that hackers have tweaked a program called Intel Technology Access v. 1.9.1.1008 for their rotten purposes, and I found it on my computer (Control Panel - Programs).  The original program from Intel is supposed to be about half a MG, and mine was 25 MG, way too big, and the installation date was only a few days ago, just when the ad screen hijacking started.  My system is AMD, not Intel, and since it has worked fine for 2 years without this program, so I uninstalled it, then rebooted, and went into Yahoo Mail (only place the popups occur), and no popups after 10 minutes.  I could usually get a popup right away if I started to compose an email, so I did several fake composes and no prob.  I also did a search and deleted any files with the names of the bad sites that used to pop up, like bandretail, wayretail, retailnatural, and reimage.  That probably only killed browser history.  Would others post if this works for them?  I'll post if the survey comes back.

I Plan to Stick Around

I tried to "get rid of malware" many different ways. Then I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled operating software twice. It was my D link router that was hacked. Replaced it a week ago and redirects stopped from rogers mail.
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey Lyn, thx so much for the post, never would have thought of a router hack, never heard of that.  The malware detector programs would never find a router hack.  My Intel method did not work, the fake Rogers survey is back.  It's also popping up in the main Yahoo.ca page, not just the email page, but no other sites.  I'm using my own Cisco Linksys router instead of using the Rogers router system, so I'm thinking of tossing mine and calling Rogers to activate theirs for me.

I Plan to Stick Around

I was BBQing when I wrote my last message so couldn't really elaborate on what I did before I realized it was the router

Things that didn't work:
-Clearing cache,cookies, cache
-made sure I was on real rogers email site (not fraudulent site)
-reset router and password
-macscan
-privacyscan
-detectX
-tried using private browsing
-tried browsing under a new user account on my computer
-soft reset of safari
-hard reset of safari
-wiped hard drive and reinstalled operating system

Apple support said that no malware could survive a complete wipe of computer so to look at router or rogers modem

Hooked computer up directly to modem using lightning to Ethernet cable and the problem stopped. That means the router was the problem.

New router for a week now and no redirects.

Hope this helps someone
Coming on PPV!
Spence vs. Garcia Live
LIVE: Saturday March 16, 2019 9PM ET
Preshow: 8:00 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
Ignite TV customers can order as of March 13
DTV Customers can order as of March 14
Spence vs. Garcia Promo

IBF welterweight world Champion Errol Spence Jr. (24-0, 21 KOs) will defend his belt against four-division world champion and current WBC lightweight titlist Mikey Garcia (39-0, 30 KOs), who will move up two weight divisions to go for a world title in a fifth division in a meeting between two of boxing’s elite pound-for-pound best in the world.