Rogers survey turned out to be a scam

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Like it Here

Re: Rogers survey turned out to be a scam

Recently multiple computers in my house have been getting automatic tab popups to a domain http://pullsurvey.com/ which claims to have selected us for a special offer market survey. suspicious.png

That's a snip of what the website is displaying. I'm assuming this isn't actually a valid survey, we just close the tabs but it's pretty persistent. I ran a malware and virus scan on one of the computers which came up clean.

Any idea what it might be or how to fix it?

I've Been Around

I recently just got an identical pop-up, but from a different domain. I believe it was something like Viable Surveys. Interesting that we're both seeing this now. At the time, I was on the Air Canada website and a link got redirected.

I've Been Around

Fell for it myself. No return address to send back. No address on any website.Was billed $350.00.  Contacted my bank. Alot of complains about these scams. Bank reversed the charges and have not heared back from these scammers. I would advise not to use this product.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I was on the Yahoo Canada website (link below) when my browser was hijacked to this survey.  I may have hovered my mouse over something that activated the pop-up and hijack, but I'm not really sure.  I certainly didn't click anything!

https://ca.yahoo.com/

Anyway, I'm glad I read about it here first so that I didn't have to investigate further.  I can certainly see how a "casual" user/browser would fall for this...

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I keep getting those pop ups for the past week or so as well.
The most annoying thing is the only option given is an "Agree" button. I have to exit the browser to get rid of the pop up.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Although the "back" button may not function properly, I have found that I can usually still use the bookmarks or the "home" link, so I don't need to exit the browser, although exiting can sometimes be a good idea because these sorts of websites often also have "pop-unders" which are under the main window.

I've Been Around

Rogers IP/email user for many years, getting this popup (not email) for the first time in the last 3-4 weeks, interesting to know it's been around for years (2013 in this thread). Only happens in Rogers email when logged on, after 10-30 minutes in email.

Not associated with any particular email type as far as I can tell so far, my mail filter gets almost all unrecognized emails, but mail processing stops and bar at the top says please wait, at which time I now usually close the window before it even comes back, which is the recovery that works well enough. Not necessary to log off or close other windows, But it will be back, maybe sooner the second time.   

I've Been Around

so how do we get rid of this, i even have norton for mac and it shows no virus? I can work around but since its on rogers yahoo browser what has rogers yahoo done about this.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1. I would also like to know how my browser gets "hijacked" by this scam (Garcinia?) 

2. What is the mechanism at work that "allows" for this sort of "hijack".

3. Is there anything that Rogers/Yahoo can do about it?

Edit - this happened to me again just now.  I was at the Yahoo Canada website and it got hijacked (by Garcinia).  I was not logged into my Rogers e-mail or anything and I didn't click on anything. 

https://ca.yahoo.com/

My browser (FF) called it a "notification" and I was able to click on "don't go to this notification again".  We'll see if it happens again.

The URL of the hijack is as follows:

https://bandretail.com/?112ec3664bdb2037dc9d4f17cd5ed533

Screenshots have been provided earlier in this thread, but I'll take one and post here in a few minutes.  Here it is - it may take a few minutes to be approved.

Rogers Survey.png

I Plan to Stick Around

Lately when I’m in my Yahoo email the screen gets hijacked and a full-screen popup asks me to fill out a Rogers Cable survey for rewards, with no button to decline, which I doubt Rogers would operate like that.  When I delete this screen using the red X, another screen pops up offering a Windows repair.   When I delete this screen it exits my browser and Yahoo.  After having this happen a few times I did the survey, and the rewards offered were not worth the $5 shipping, probably phishing for credit card numbers, so I did not choose any and exited, but the “survey” screen continues to pop up.  I ran Defender deep scan and it hasn’t come back since (1 day).  Anyone had this happen?