Rogers survey turned out to be a scam

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Like it Here

Re: Rogers survey turned out to be a scam

I'm an Advisor

I had a similar experience not too long ago. When I logged into the Rogers forum, I got a Rogers survey request, and I participated. After I went through the survey, I was suddenly bombarded with ads that took up a lot of real estate on my screen. No matter what I did, I couldn't get rid of them. Scrolling down pages just resulted in the ads following down. I went into my browser settings (IE 11) and looked at my add-ons and, sure enough, there was one which I had never seen before. It was called something like realdeals and it was responsible for inserting the ads. I believe I got the add-on from downloading something from a site which, unknowingly, installed the add-on in addition to the item I wanted. I've never understood why browsers allow add-ons to be installed without permission. I looked at its settings and didn't see anything that would stop it. I realize I may be missing something, though.

I uninstalled realdeals, deleted it from my add-ons, and went through my registry to delete its entries. That solved the problem, but it was a real pain. After that, I did some searching and discovered this is a common problem. There are lots of web sites that show up when you're searching to download something. The lesson I learned is to be very careful and pay close attention to the web site URL when downloading things. Now, I always look for the site which belongs to the company that owns the software.

I also discovered that these things are call PUPs, which stands for something like Possible Unwanted Programs. I use Norton 360 which protects my system, but it does not recognize PUPs as being a problem. Then I discovered that Malwarebytes gets rid of them, so I downloaded the free version and run it every once in a while. It caught a few which were already on my system and got rid of them.

I'm Here A Lot

I am getting this "survey" request periodically with the "Dear Rogers Cable User" and informing me that I'm eligible to participate in this "survey." Really? Eligible to participate? So kind of them in scam land.

I am assuming it is yet another scam. That goes along with the free gift from West Jet, free cruise, free Ipad and other nonsense.

Anyway, if not sure what it is just delete it.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Migatonegro wrote:

Here is the full link to the 'survey':

http://marketresearchglobal.com/survey4/CA/lp14-B-01-v01-n.php?browser=Firefox&os=OS%20X&country=Can...

I've never had this popup, but I did click the link and saw it, but didn't click the "Accept" button. Hopefully I'm not infected now, because these things are hard to clean up. From subsequent posts here, at least I'll know not to accept this one if I ever see it pop up. I usually avoid surveys anyway because they're a colossal waste of time.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm an Advisor

OLDYELLR:

If you're concerned, I highly recommend getting the free download of Malwarebytes. It's a highly respected product. You can get it here and yes, it's the legitimate Malwarebytes web site: http://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/lp4/?gclid=CJT2h5OlssICFak-MgodMTsATw Smiley Wink

Forgot to mention that, even though it's a free download, every time you start it, it automatically updates to the latest version before it does its scan.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks, I do have Malwarebytes. I think I got it to remove a popup problem on Firefox some time ago. Just did a quick scan and nothing showed up, so I guess I'm okay.

I'm a Senior Advisor

The old maxim still holds true...

IF IT LOOKS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT IS!

There isn't a survey company alive that will offer you something as valuable as an iPod for filling in a 2 minute survey.

People really have to start ignoring their greed and start using common sense.

I'm a Senior Advisor

And when they say "short survey", it can very well rob you of half an hour of your life you'll never get back. Surveys are always to help THEM, not YOU.

I've Been Around

got an email today said it was from Rogers, first thought SCAM, started to proceed, got free offers for health products.

stopped there, it was 3rd party crap so i deleted the email. but did take a screen shot of the "free" offer just have to pay shipping, did not bother.

http://s261.photobucket.com/user/shimster_2008/media/rogersscam_zpscae596f7.png.html

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

From the image there.. the url.. marketresearchglobal... yeah, thats the same one the other user up a number of posts got..

Which is a spam/false one.

Thats what these scammers BANK on...... put a FALSE info that they are company X or Y on the front.. to get you to click and enter info Smiley Sad