Rogers survey turned out to be a scam

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers survey turned out to be a scam

@68Al : If you have somehow become "infected" with this "hijack", one way is to avoid the website you were on when the hijack occurred.   For me and many others, this was one of the Yahoo websites, so we just didn't visit those Yahoo websites any more.

If it's actually when using Webmail, then that would be more difficult to avoid, unless you decide to switch to say gmail or handle your e-mail using an e-mail client like Outlook on a computer/device.  You could still visit Webmail once a week or so to ensure that you don't have any real mail in the spam folder (or use the "redirect workaround") to ensure that no mail ends up in Yahoo spam folder.

I could get out of the hijack by clicking on one of my bookmarks. No need to exit the browser.  I haven't seen this hijack in months though and I've even been going to the Yahoo webpage occasionally just to check.  It seems to come and go.  A change of browser may help.  You could try deleting all cookies/history to see if that helps.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the help.

The only place where I was getting it is Rogers/Yahoo mail.

Deleted all history, cookies etc. Malwarebytes is blocking it.

Thanks again

I'm Here A Lot

NO it does not. I do not go to the Yahoo email and still comes up every day.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@fredgaspar wrote:
NO it does not. I do not go to the Yahoo email and still comes up every day.

Which website(s) are you on when it comes up? See post 121 for possible workarounds.  Most of us found that the issue was with Yahoo websites, so we just avoided the website with the problem.

I'm Here A Lot

OK   Let me explain.  When I turn on my Browser, in this case either Firefox  or Chrome,  within say 15 -30 seconds the Rogers Survey add comes up........ I have  include the last 2 days sites that it comes through, even though I am on the home page which is the Canadian Yahoo home page;  these are current BLOCKED,   but tomorrow they will come up through a different URL..... 

RogersSurveyblocked.PNG

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@fredgaspar wrote:

...even though I am on the home page which is the Canadian Yahoo home page...

If your home page is Yahoo, change it to something else, like google news, the weather, this forum, anything but Yahoo, because that's the trigger for many people.  Stay away from any Yahoo pages.

If you need to get to Webmail, bookmark the webmail login page once you get there.  That URL should look something like:  https://login.yahoo.com although it'll probably be longer and may contain information like your e-mail address so that you just need to add the password.

I'm Here A Lot

Made no difference, as soon as you go to any of the Yahoo  pages, mail, or even Rogers Yahoo, the Rogers Survey Scam comes up........   This is all related to Rogers-Yahoo  relationship as this only happens with Rogers and anything to do with Yahoo.    You need to investigate, I am positive, given the information my IT Tech guys are telling me, they use your DNS/IP  and use that to over ride your IP and force users to this stupid Rogers Survey......   

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@fredgaspar :  Do you have the option to try a different computer?  Or perhaps a different browser on your computer?

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm getting this too, the ONLY place I get it is on the Rogers / Yahoo Web Mail web page.   Thats not my home page, I use a bookmark to access it.   It appears afet about 5 or 10 minutes.

What I do NOT get is how it can hijack or take over the web page (as opposed to a pop up or opening page in a new tab or window).   It seems to me that Yahoo has been hacked.

I have NIS installed and up to date and its not flagging anything.

The URL is  www.accessbuzz.com/?somehexkey

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes the problem is with Rogers/Yahoo ... some months ago someone here wiped her hard drive and changed routers, and the hijacks continued.  I always got the hijack in Yahoo's main page or email page, and after getting LeechBlock they were much less.  Adw Cleaner didn't work of course b/c the problem is not with the user's computer.  After Firefox's latest upgrade they announced that they were deactivating any add-ons that did not conform to their new standards, and Firefox deactivated my LeechBlock, and posted the way for developers to upgrade their add-ons to conform.  Now I sometimes get the hijack, but as soon as the hijack starts, something stops the hijack before it can display, I get a clean white screen with the hijack URL visible in the address bar, and I can back out of it and go back to Yahoo or click on a bookmark to go there.  Last time it happened, couple week ago, was in the middle of doing a Yahoo email, and I could back out and continue.  I no longer click on any main Yahoo page news items, that was always a trigger.  So maybe the new Firefox has a way to pause the hijack.  If it ever gets bad again I'll probably dump Yahoo mail and go with GMail or something, kind of a nuisance to switch, with email being a common username requirement for web sites, would have to change them all.