Rogers survey turned out to be a scam

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

Re: Rogers survey turned out to be a scam

"ROGERS Survey" popup

I'm on my computer right now and a voice just came on in a new tab saying "You've been randomly select to participate in our anonymous survey!" It's 1am so that startled me. Anyway I opened the tab and this came up, what's going on?

rogers.png 

I Plan to Stick Around

It's coming from the rogers/yahoo email site.  Read your emails through a secondary source and the problem goes away.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lynA:

@Tmothy12's post may have been moved to this thread.  Nevertheless, I suggest @Tmothy12 reads the last few pages of this thread to understand that the issue seems to be related to Yahoo web pages and to avoid them when possible.

I'm a Regular

@lynA wrote:

It's coming from the rogers/yahoo email site.  Read your emails through a secondary source and the problem goes away.

Looks like I've got some posts to read through as I don't understand what you're referring to. Smiley Frustrated

I'm a Regular

Alright, I've done some reading. For me, @lynA that is not the case, it has nothing to do with email as I rarely access Yahoo Mail directly. @57 was right, I was on Yahoo Answers at the time of the popup.

I was gonna ask more questions but I should probably just read a bit more...

I've Been Around

I have multiple computers and ever since I changed from BellAliant to Rogers I randomly get these fake Rogers surveys on all devices. It does not matter what website I'm on. I'll just randomly get one of these surveys. I have zero malware on my computers. I find it's more of an DNS injection or some sort of redirect injection. I do not feel it is a local issue. I turned off ipv6 on the rogers modem, on each one of my network devices, turned off the DNS resolver proxy in the modem, clear all caches, DNS caches, rebooted the modem/router, each device, even started using OpenDNS IPs, it has seemed to resolved some of this issue. Everything is fully updated, nothing odd is on my devices or network to cause this issue. I'm a tech that normally fixes these types of issues for other people or companies. I'm still trying to figure it out. It seems to be a common problem for people using Cable type internet, even users in the USA that are not on Rogers but still using Cable for their web. I can normally tell when the issue is malware or some sort of local thing going on the computer, but this is more of an injection issue I find.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just as an FYI, this scam (and similar ones) were the subject of a CBC MarketPlace programme last week.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2017-2018/free-trial-scams-dont-click-that-link

The takeaway from this and similar scams, along with door to door salespeople - DON'T!  Nothing is free!  Anyone offering you "free stuff" or a "really good deal" only has their own interests in mind.

Simply don't accept any offers that you don't initiate, it's that simple.

I Plan to Stick Around

Since I stopped going to the Yahoo/Rogers mail site to read/send email, I have not had this popup.  That is four months straight... using my computer every day for many hours.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

im getting these scam fake rogers surveys several times a day just using the browser. I dont use yahoo mail and have scanned laptop for malware etc. This seems to be one explanation. By going to myrogers in link will trigger survey

https://www.onserve.ca/rogers-com-phishing-scam-highlights-website-and-link-safety/
I've Been Here Awhile

And it still going on...

Just opened my email account and shortly I got it again:

Rogers Survey.png

There is only way out: close the browser. It is popping up several time daily.

I have Malwarebytes premium.

Is there any way to block this garbage popping up?