cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers survey turned out to be a scam

MIDHU
I've Been Around

Hi,

On 3rd Nov 2013 evening while I was logging into my account in Rogers.com I got a msg asking me whether I am interested in participating in a Rogers survey. I was informed that if I participate in the survey I will be eligible for a $50 gift. I agreed for the survey and participated in it. They asked few questions online. Like how often do you visit rogers.com, whether you use rogers at home or office etc.At the end of the survey I was told that I am eligible for a $50 gift and asked me to select one of the gifts from a link given.I went into that link.It was a third party site(bidou.ca) and there was 3 products displayed there.I selected one(ipod).Then it took me to another page where the price of the ipod was given as $0 and shipping charges was $3.I didnt want to give my credit card details to a strange site.So I hesitated in the beginning but since that offer I got when I was in Rogers site made me confident to give my credit card details.They just asked only for $3 and for that I will get an ipod worth $50.So I felt good.

During the transaction my bank(td bank) confirmed from me that its a authorized transaction.I gave permission to the bank to pay $3 for shipping.Every thing went fine till then.They deducted $3 from my account and told I will get my ipod in 2-3 weeks.But next day there was a $49.99 deduction from my account.At first I thought it the price of the ipod I purchased.But later when I checked my mail I understood that its a 1 month membership fee for their website.I never applied for any membership.With out my permission they added me as a member and deducted $49.99 from my account.They will deduct it every month if I dont cancel it.The phone number given in the website is UK number so I cannot call them.I send them mail asking them to cancel my membership and refund the money.But I got a auto generated reply that they will reply with in 24 hours.But nobody contacted me.I contacted my bank to stop anymore payments to that company but they are telling they cannot stop that and I have to change my credit card.I am so upset.I gave my credit card details only because I was asked from Rogers site.I never thought from rogers site such a scam will come.I contacted Rogers customer service but didnt get any proper response. According to the guy Rogers didnt do any that kind of survey so rogers is not responsible.I dont think so.If I got the link from some random web page then its my responsibility to make sure its from Rogers.But if its came from Rogers.com then its their reponsibility.I will never participate in any more rogers survey.If rogers didnt do that survey then how come a third party was able to pretend as Rogers when somebody log in to rogers.com. Either they hacked Rogers.com or some one helped them to  create a link in rogers.com. Any way I lost my money.I don't think I will get it back. I wish no one else will be cheated like me. Hope Rogers will do necessary action against the company who used Rogers name for trapping people.Or Rogers good will will be affecetd.Rogers is equally responsible because this fraud happened through their website.

***edited labels***

139 REPLIES 139

Re: Rogers survey turned out to be a scam

Bob7
I Plan to Stick Around

Same as above, for the last few days I did the usual to get the hack sites listed above to pop up, but got none since I cleaned up the settings in LeechBlock, the Firefox add-on.  So it appears to be working well.  If I get any more hack sites coming up I'll post it.

Bob7
I Plan to Stick Around

Not so fast ... I was emailing today on Yahoo and got hijacked to 2 of the hacker sites, the old Remimage and Voluumtrk sites with the fake Windows Repair offer that downloads junk and malware.  So I'm done with the Rogers and Yahoo sites, and won't be on them again, and will direct all my Yahoo email through GMail.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I encountered something similar today.  I've never been "hacked" on the Webmail site (so far), however, on the Yahoo Canada site today I was hijacked to a Mac Repair site (I use a Mac Mini).

I have been experimenting with the Yahoo Canada site, just as a test once a day.  I will now avoid Yahoo sites again like I had for several weeks.  Luckily Webmail has worked fine for me and I use a direct link (avoiding Yahoo websites) to get there.

If I ever encountered hijacks while in Webmail, I too would be "outta-here".

Bob7
I Plan to Stick Around

On Yahoo today I got the Rogers fake survey/scam through a new hacker web site called Rewardbrite, which I've added to my list of blocked sites using Firefox's LeechBlock addon.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Problem with Yahoo mail and sites in general, whether you come through Rogers or not is that Yahoo, since it can't make money any other way than selling services to ISP's, and push advertising, you get adds coming at you in your email at the top, and along the side.

If a Yahoo customer wants to avoid it, they pay the pro service.

Many reasons for dumping Yahoo mail services, period.

If you want to keep it, then forward your mail to another service, like Gmail.

Rogers, oh rogers, you really need to bite the bullet and get way from Yahoo.

Just my opinion and seems like that of others.

Bruce

Tmothy12
I'm a Regular

"ROGERS Survey" popup

I'm on my computer right now and a voice just came on in a new tab saying "You've been randomly select to participate in our anonymous survey!" It's 1am so that startled me. Anyway I opened the tab and this came up, what's going on?

rogers.png 

lynA
I Plan to Stick Around

It's coming from the rogers/yahoo email site.  Read your emails through a secondary source and the problem goes away.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lynA:

@Tmothy12's post may have been moved to this thread.  Nevertheless, I suggest @Tmothy12 reads the last few pages of this thread to understand that the issue seems to be related to Yahoo web pages and to avoid them when possible.

@lynA wrote:

It's coming from the rogers/yahoo email site.  Read your emails through a secondary source and the problem goes away.

Looks like I've got some posts to read through as I don't understand what you're referring to. Smiley Frustrated

Tmothy12
I'm a Regular

Alright, I've done some reading. For me, @lynA that is not the case, it has nothing to do with email as I rarely access Yahoo Mail directly. @57 was right, I was on Yahoo Answers at the time of the popup.

I was gonna ask more questions but I should probably just read a bit more...

cdmlb
I'm Here A Lot

I have multiple computers and ever since I changed from BellAliant to Rogers I randomly get these fake Rogers surveys on all devices. It does not matter what website I'm on. I'll just randomly get one of these surveys. I have zero malware on my computers. I find it's more of an DNS injection or some sort of redirect injection. I do not feel it is a local issue. I turned off ipv6 on the rogers modem, on each one of my network devices, turned off the DNS resolver proxy in the modem, clear all caches, DNS caches, rebooted the modem/router, each device, even started using OpenDNS IPs, it has seemed to resolved some of this issue. Everything is fully updated, nothing odd is on my devices or network to cause this issue. I'm a tech that normally fixes these types of issues for other people or companies. I'm still trying to figure it out. It seems to be a common problem for people using Cable type internet, even users in the USA that are not on Rogers but still using Cable for their web. I can normally tell when the issue is malware or some sort of local thing going on the computer, but this is more of an injection issue I find.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just as an FYI, this scam (and similar ones) were the subject of a CBC MarketPlace programme last week.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2017-2018/free-trial-scams-dont-click-that-link

The takeaway from this and similar scams, along with door to door salespeople - DON'T!  Nothing is free!  Anyone offering you "free stuff" or a "really good deal" only has their own interests in mind.

Simply don't accept any offers that you don't initiate, it's that simple.

lynA
I Plan to Stick Around

Since I stopped going to the Yahoo/Rogers mail site to read/send email, I have not had this popup.  That is four months straight... using my computer every day for many hours.

stoneball
I Plan to Stick Around
im getting these scam fake rogers surveys several times a day just using the browser. I dont use yahoo mail and have scanned laptop for malware etc. This seems to be one explanation. By going to myrogers in link will trigger survey

https://www.onserve.ca/rogers-com-phishing-scam-highlights-website-and-link-safety/

68Al
I've Been Here Awhile

And it still going on...

Just opened my email account and shortly I got it again:

Rogers Survey.png

There is only way out: close the browser. It is popping up several time daily.

I have Malwarebytes premium.

Is there any way to block this garbage popping up?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@68Al : If you have somehow become "infected" with this "hijack", one way is to avoid the website you were on when the hijack occurred.   For me and many others, this was one of the Yahoo websites, so we just didn't visit those Yahoo websites any more.

If it's actually when using Webmail, then that would be more difficult to avoid, unless you decide to switch to say gmail or handle your e-mail using an e-mail client like Outlook on a computer/device.  You could still visit Webmail once a week or so to ensure that you don't have any real mail in the spam folder (or use the "redirect workaround") to ensure that no mail ends up in Yahoo spam folder.

I could get out of the hijack by clicking on one of my bookmarks. No need to exit the browser.  I haven't seen this hijack in months though and I've even been going to the Yahoo webpage occasionally just to check.  It seems to come and go.  A change of browser may help.  You could try deleting all cookies/history to see if that helps.

68Al
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the help.

The only place where I was getting it is Rogers/Yahoo mail.

Deleted all history, cookies etc. Malwarebytes is blocking it.

Thanks again

NO it does not. I do not go to the Yahoo email and still comes up every day.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@fredgaspar wrote:
NO it does not. I do not go to the Yahoo email and still comes up every day.

Which website(s) are you on when it comes up? See post 121 for possible workarounds.  Most of us found that the issue was with Yahoo websites, so we just avoided the website with the problem.

fredgaspar
I'm Here A Lot

OK   Let me explain.  When I turn on my Browser, in this case either Firefox  or Chrome,  within say 15 -30 seconds the Rogers Survey add comes up........ I have  include the last 2 days sites that it comes through, even though I am on the home page which is the Canadian Yahoo home page;  these are current BLOCKED,   but tomorrow they will come up through a different URL..... 

RogersSurveyblocked.PNG

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@fredgaspar wrote:

...even though I am on the home page which is the Canadian Yahoo home page...

If your home page is Yahoo, change it to something else, like google news, the weather, this forum, anything but Yahoo, because that's the trigger for many people.  Stay away from any Yahoo pages.

If you need to get to Webmail, bookmark the webmail login page once you get there.  That URL should look something like:  https://login.yahoo.com although it'll probably be longer and may contain information like your e-mail address so that you just need to add the password.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?