Rogers survey turned out to be a scam

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers survey turned out to be a scam

@Bob7 wrote:

1. I’ve got to use a different email, kind of a nuisance. 

2. These are sites you cannot back-arrow out of, you have to close your browser.

1.  You don't need to use a different e-mail if the hack doesn't affect the Webmail site itself.  For example, I only saw the hack when on the Yahoo Canada website and I have not seen it recently.  For the past few weeks, I was avoiding the Yahoo Canada (and other Yahoo) sites, I have gone to Yahoo sites on purpose recently and not seen the hack, as mentioned by others here.  I'm assuming the hack's behaviour has recently changed.  You can bookmark the URL that comes up after you click on the "mail" icon within Yahoo.  That way you can go directly to the login page for your Webmail and not visit the Yahoo sites if you're still affected there.

2. Although you can't "back out", you don't need to close the browser, you can utilize any bookmark within your browser to go to another web-page.

Edit - I even tried clicking the "i" icon and didn't get hacked. I'm using FF54.0.1 on my Mac Mini.  Perhaps the latest Firefox browser fixed the issue?  Or the hack changed as mentioned by others?

Of course none of this helps if you actually get hacked within Webmail.  Make sure you've only got one browser window/tab open when in Webmail, otherwise the hack could affect you from another window/tab if you have Yahoo open in that other window/tab.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi 57 ... a couple weeks ago I got hacked a few times in the middle of composing an email on Yahoo mail, I think it was the fake survey that popped up, and also the fake Windows repair, but since then only on the  main Yahoo page that comes up after you exit the email page.  That's why I was considering dumping Yahoo email.

I'll get on Yahoo tomorrow and see if I can get the hacks to pop up with LeechBlock working.

I Plan to Stick Around

With me, it was always while composing or reading emails.  I just use my email through another email service (Mac) now... so I don't have to actually change my email address or anything.

I Plan to Stick Around

Lyn good idea, I think I'll reroute my Yahoo mail, probably through GMail, and never visit Rogers/Yahoo, Yahoo.ca, or Yahoo.com again.  Tonight I went to Yahoo.ca and clicked the (i) icon beside the Yahoo URL, with LeechBlock in place, and sure enough, I got 3 hack redirect sites again ... Reimage Repair, s0u.jerb.gdn/xxx and voluumtrk.horizon-trading.com, all visible in Bookmarks history.  The first one was the fake Windows repair site.  I might ask the Leechblock developer if I'm entering these sites correctly to be blocked, it has different uses of the wildcard feature so you don't have to enter the whole URL, not sure if I got them right.  But if you grab the whole URL there is a window to enter them too.  Don't know if it's worth the effort, just as easy to kiss the Yahoo/Rogers sites goodbye.  But it would be nice to beat the hackers.

I Plan to Stick Around

Update on LeechBlock, a Firefox add-on that blocks sites from loading, I had to clean up my LeechBlock settings, I had entries in both the domain box and the URL box, not supposed to put them in the URL box if you have them in the domain box.  So all the hack sites posted earlier are now in the domain box, and I went on Yahoo.ca and tried to get the hacks to pop up by clicking the (i) icon beside the Yahoo URL, messing around with the options choices like security, media, etc, which always triggers the hack sites, and after doing that for a while never got a hack.  I think I got a few flashes as if a site started to loan for a nano-second and then was gone, not sure.  Anyway if LeechBlock still works after a few days I don't know if I'll bother routing Rogers/Yahoo email through GMail, and I'll probably even donate to LeechBlock, nice to find add-ons that work properly.

I Plan to Stick Around

Same as above, for the last few days I did the usual to get the hack sites listed above to pop up, but got none since I cleaned up the settings in LeechBlock, the Firefox add-on.  So it appears to be working well.  If I get any more hack sites coming up I'll post it.

I Plan to Stick Around

Not so fast ... I was emailing today on Yahoo and got hijacked to 2 of the hacker sites, the old Remimage and Voluumtrk sites with the fake Windows Repair offer that downloads junk and malware.  So I'm done with the Rogers and Yahoo sites, and won't be on them again, and will direct all my Yahoo email through GMail.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I encountered something similar today.  I've never been "hacked" on the Webmail site (so far), however, on the Yahoo Canada site today I was hijacked to a Mac Repair site (I use a Mac Mini).

I have been experimenting with the Yahoo Canada site, just as a test once a day.  I will now avoid Yahoo sites again like I had for several weeks.  Luckily Webmail has worked fine for me and I use a direct link (avoiding Yahoo websites) to get there.

If I ever encountered hijacks while in Webmail, I too would be "outta-here".

I Plan to Stick Around

On Yahoo today I got the Rogers fake survey/scam through a new hacker web site called Rewardbrite, which I've added to my list of blocked sites using Firefox's LeechBlock addon.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Problem with Yahoo mail and sites in general, whether you come through Rogers or not is that Yahoo, since it can't make money any other way than selling services to ISP's, and push advertising, you get adds coming at you in your email at the top, and along the side.

If a Yahoo customer wants to avoid it, they pay the pro service.

Many reasons for dumping Yahoo mail services, period.

If you want to keep it, then forward your mail to another service, like Gmail.

Rogers, oh rogers, you really need to bite the bullet and get way from Yahoo.

Just my opinion and seems like that of others.

Bruce