'Rogers' Phishing Scam

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: 'Rogers' Phishing Scam

Good to know, thank you!
I'm a Senior Advisor

MyRogers.com  Probably phishing site

If you do a search for myrogers, sometimes you will be returned with this site address.

First there is no log in for rogers that I am aware of called MyRogers.com, but I have often typed myrogers into the search engine as I forget my page addresses, and haven't book marked that one.  The official log in is Rogers.com

I don't think it has anything to do with Rogers, but it will present a "customer experience survey", which if you do it, it has all the current buzz words we have heard from the CEO on improving the customer experience end to end.

When done, you will be redirected to a free gift of a beauty product, it will tell you there is only 3 left, if you click to order the free trial, it will "phish personal information like email address name and home information",  I suspect if you went further, you would probably be asked for a credit card or payment method because there is a shipping fee.

When you go to the page it shows product may not be available due to limited supply and shows 250 left.

You get the same results any time, and there includes some nice comments about the ease of the survey, and the wonderful gift for yourself, or for your wife.

So, be aware if you end up on the myrogers.com site.  This clearly has nothing to do with Rogers (correct me if I am wrong Moderators). When done, it takes you to a Rogers.com site which provides links to what appear to be service areas, but will take you to other marketing pages.

It certainly appears to be a redirected marketing scheme, or phishing site.  A give away if you look very closely when you go to the offer portion - the offer is available only available to CA residents (would that be Canadian or California) but to remove confusion there is a Canadian flag and it asks for provinces and Postal Codes.  Even ensures you it has 256 bit encryption for your security.  Pretty slick - search the company and you will find lots of reviews, and other offers from other sites and they call it a "serum" as an alternative to Botox. But it is the survey you will be hit by first that looks just like what Rogers would be doing given their cooperative objectives in the area of the questions.

Note:  since MyRogers is part of the copyrighted website for login and the Rogers.com site, it would probably be easy for their legal department to contact the agency that registers Internet domain names and have it shut down.

But at a minimum, be aware of these social engineering scams and websites.  I am usually good at catching these, but they are getting very good - I got caught on one related to YouTube on a facebook message, and now this one.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BS :  The scam of which you speak is discussed in detail in the following thread. Check out the last few pages of that thread.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/MyRogers/Rogers-survey-turned-out-to-be-a-scam/td-p/184037/page...

It (and others) were the subject of a recent episode of MarketPlace on CBC.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2015-2016/free-trial-scams-dont-click-that-link

I'm a Senior Advisor

Thank you @57  I did a search on phishing and scams in the forum search, and there were so many threads returned, I just picked one arbitrarily.  Maybe a thread or focussed content for reporting and questioning the validity of these in order to put it all in one place.

Thanks for letting me know.

Bruce

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@57 wrote:

@BS :  The scam of which you speak is discussed in detail in the following thread. Check out the last few pages of that thread.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/MyRogers/Rogers-survey-turned-out-to-be-a-scam/td-p/184037/page...

It (and others) were the subject of a recent episode of MarketPlace on CBC.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2015-2016/free-trial-scams-dont-click-that-link

@57 Thanks for the links! Also good for people to review this one:  

https://www.rogers.com/web/support/internet/phishing/170?setLanguage=en

Quite frankly, it would be nice to get a log-on warning banner when new scams are detected.  All that I saw publicly written about this "Rogers-survey-turned-out-to-be-a-scam" was this:

You are correct. Some of these entities use Rogers' logo to try and get people to provide personal information through this type of survey. We take this very seriously and want you to know that this unfortunately is out of our control. Take care and have a great day Smiley Wink

i.e. not our problem!  It is not the response I would expect if your identity is being used.  

I've Been Around

2018-06-10  Phishing Scam using Rogers

I just recived a new Phishing Scam email -

Source listed -

Rogers no-reply@rogers.com - actual email jsinclair@mweb.co.za  (thats a free south africa mail server)

message body

Good day @kitsy,

Welcome to the Rogers Community!

Raising awareness and knowing how to protect yourself from social engineering scams is key to ensure your personal data is not compromised.

If an email looks like an official Rogers communication, but is asking for suspicious or confidential information, don’t respond to it. Rogers will never ask for your credit card number, personal information or password by email.

If possible, please take a screen shot of the email and send it to abuse@rogers.com titled ‘Suspicious Email Received’.

• It is important that you include the header of the email (visit http://whatismyipaddress.com/email-header for more info.)
  • Do not send us the original email. Simply paste the screen shot(s) into the body of the email (do not send it as attachement).
  • You will not receive a response to the email.

For more details on phishing, visit Rogers.comSmiley Wink

RogersMaude

I've Been Around

Phishing scam resurfacing

Received an email today purportedly from Rogers saying:

"You're advise to switch to the new version to avoid disconnection. "

This is clearly a scam that was prevalent in 2016, 2017.

FYI