'Rogers' Phishing Scam

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

'Rogers' Phishing Scam

To:
Subject: Dear Rogers User,
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 13:27:40 -0700

Dear Rogers User,
Your two incoming mails were placed on pending status due to the  recent upgrade in our database,
In order to receive the messages kindly CLICK the link below
http://rogersalert.webs.com/ 

Sign In with your correct Rogers information's and wait for responds  from our data base service.
We apologize for any inconvenience and do appreciate your  understanding.
Thanks,
Service Desk
ROGERS ADMIN TEAM © 1995 - 2014 rogers
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. IN ADDITION, this communication may contain material protected by HIPAA and other privacy laws (45 CFR, Parts 160 & 164;42 CFR Part 2). If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering this email to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by replying to this email and then delete the email from your computer.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersWagdy
Retired Moderator
Moved:

Re: 'Rogers' Phishing Scam

I've Been Here Awhile

I think the website alone in that email is a giveaway that it didn't come from Rogers.

The web is now full of these phishing scams, I get a few every week.

What's even more annoying is the phone calls that now go out from random numbers that are usually disconnected if you call them back

***Update***

That's right, Navin79, the message is a scam. @StanNewmarket:  please disregard it, we would never send you an email asking you to provide personal information such as username/password. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One thing to make sure, is what the link ACTUALLY goes to as well.

using HTML code, you can put in that the link can say ANYTHING..so could SHOW as being a valid rogers website.

But the actual link itself that it goes to, could be any 3rd party site.

Usually in most browsers, when you hover your mouse over the link, will show down at the bottom of the browser, what the actual link was.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I received the following e-mail today that appeared to be from Rogers.

"The credit card we have on file for your Rogers Comunications was declined when we attempted to bill you on 05/05/2016 for your most recent service fees. For this reason, your service could be suspended .

You must update your billing information immediately in order to avoid any interruption to your services. Once your credit card information is updated, you will be charged immediately, as soon as payment is received. You can update your credit card simply by clicking :

https://www.rogers.com/web/rogers&webportal/updatecprec to update your billing information online.

Thank you for choosing Rogers Online Billing

Rogers | One Mount Pleasant Road | Toronto ON M4Y 2Y5 2016 Rogers"

If I click on the above link, it takes me to the following link, which is not Rogers and is unsecure:  It then asks for credit card info etc, which I did not provide.

"http://www.roseofsharon.com.sg/js/webportal/rogers/Login.php"

I nearly fell for this because my bill came today and I changed my credit card last month.  Whew!

Please be warned. They are getting really sneaky.  I will now forward this to Rogers at "abuse@rogers.com"

This is the best one I've seen so far. Although in hindsight there are hints at something amiss, if you're in a hurry to get things done and if there are co-incidences with the timing, even the most alert person may get caught out.  As mentioned in the post above, if you hover your mouse over the link you can usually see the actual URL somewhere, depending on your e-mail system.

I've Been Around

Just received an SMS text message from +1 (902) 224-7667 with a return URL (address removed for security reasons) telling me Rogers had detected an unfamiliar device connected to my acct and therefore temporarily suspended it. I should use the URL to verify MyRohers acct. The page at their end was perfect but I was suspicious. I phoned--it was a Nova Scotia PEI exchange which took me right to a BELL voicemail box. I left them a rude message, saying I had reported them. Eventually I did but Rogers tech services says they don't do anything about it anyway--so I decided to write a "heads-up".

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Perhaps @CommunityHelps can pass on to the right department.

At least get the page reported, etc to possibly be brought down.

Not a huge amount they can do about the texts being sent out.

Hello, @Oothoon

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for joining the Community. It is very important to understand and protect ourselves from social engineering scams. I appreciate you reporting the smishing you have received. 

@Community - Please follow the link to identify, handle and report fraud attempts of this nature.

@Gdkitty, we will pass on the reported phone number and URL to the appropriate department. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I've Been Here Awhile

Suspicious text re "disactivated account"

I've just received a text from 1-289-439-9312 saying, 

"Hi, your Rogers account has been disactivated for security concerns. Please login to your account from the following link: (removed link for security reasons)

below that is the name "Kyle Cooper" 

Another phone on my plan has received the same text. I had my phone on data, I am sending texts, my bill is not past due... is this phishing or legit? 

Hello, @McMommy

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. I appreciate you sharing the suspicious text, it's not from us. You may want to block the number and delete that text message. I understand that your bill is not past due, however, if you have any account related questions please send us a private message @CommunityHelps

Cheers,

RogersMoin