Red Screen Security Alert

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

Red Screen Security Alert

Twice now when I'm in Yahoo email a red screen pops up with a loud voice telling me of a security alert. I've checked online and found others claiming this is some sort of scam. Has anyone else seen this? I wasn't able to find mention of it on the forum.

***EDITED LABELS***

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Red Screen Security Alert

Sounds like a scam to me. all honesty lose the Yahoo account. It has the most security holes in it I've ever seen. Still have no idea how they are even in business. Get Gmail or Outlook.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The scammers may have changed their tack. The previous pop-up provided a "survey" or "other discount on products" instead. Here's the previous thread on the "Yahoo scam".

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud-Discussions/Rogers-survey-turned-out-to-be-...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Most of those security allerts that I have seen like that.. usually are tripped off an ADD.
Which the yahoo (and rogers) mail does have on the side.
So its possibly its tripping off a BAD add on the side.

One other thing, is that its possible the computer has some Malware on it already which is being tripped.
Might be a smart to do a full Malware scan as well just to be sure.

I'm a Regular

I ran both Malwarebytes and Spybot yesterday. When I opened my Yahoo Email as usual today the Red Screen showed up again. Is there something I can delete to get rid of this?

If I can't get rid of this thing is there some other email service I can use, keeping my present address?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you wish to keep your e-maill address(es), rather than using Webmail (on the web) you can get an e-mail client for your computer (like Outlook, Mail, Thunderbird, etc.).  It would need to be properly set up and you'd need to decide between POP and IMAP settings depending on how you use your device(s).

I'm a Regular

I'd really rather not go back to using Outlook. I did a system restore today after running a scan with Malwarebytes, Spybot and ROP to get rid of any virus.  When I googled "Red Screen Security Alert" one of the things mentioned was Mozilla Firefox. So I'm wondering if this problem is connected to Yahoo Email AND Firefox.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Using something like Chrome (which I use on my desktop Mac Mini) may help, but when I travel, I always use FF on my laptop, so I don't believe that's the only issue..  Are you on the latest version of FF (59.0.2)?

I'm a Regular

@57wrote:

Using something like Chrome (which I use on my desktop Mac Mini) may help, but when I travel, I always use FF on my laptop, so I don't believe that's the only issue..  Are you on the latest version of FF (59.0.2)?

Brand new just reloaded FF again yesterday. Opened Yahoo email just now and nothing popped up. I switched back to the Basic version of the email just in case.

I'm surprised no one else in the community has seen this Red Screen. I tend to avoid any kind of weird sites that might be virus traps. Same boring sites pretty much every day.RedScreen.jpg

Coming on PPV!
Pacquaio vs. Broner Live
LIVE: Saturday January 19, 2019 9PM ET
Preshow: 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!
Live Weigh-In January 18th @ 6PM ET

Promotional content running all day on CH 368 DTV & 430 Ignite TV until January 19th @ 9PM

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation