cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Validation Security Measures

Tank252ca
I'm Here A Lot

There are scams currently where a scammer determines a person's mobile phone number and then calls the service provider to have the number ported over to another carrier.  All calls and texts then get routed to the scammers phone with the new carrier, allowing them to intercept verification text messages and possibly access the person's bank accounts and other services.  Some U.S. providers have increased security by creating a port validation service were clients create a new password which is just for porting phone numbers.  This password is separate and unique from any other pins or passwords with the carrier and must be provided to port the number via a telephone conversation or on-line chat.  Lost or forgotten passwords would have to be corrected in person at a local retail outlet with proper ID.  I could not find any search results under "port validation" on the Rogers site, so if they don't have any such measures in place, I would like this passed along to upper management for consideration.

*** Added Labels ***

132 REPLIES 132

Re: Port Validation Security Measures

kirbybrush
I've Been Here Awhile

I would love it if a Rogers rep would PM me about blocking the ability to port my number.

amandadraig2
I've Been Here Awhile

This happened to me Dec 6 2019 and I feel lucky that so far I did not have to deal with Covid 19 related restrictions in addition to the terror and frustration of being the victim of fraud. Since you mentioned that you are considering an alternate carrier, I wanted to pass some information to you. The other carrier involved in the porting of my cell phone number was Bell. They either failed to follow protocols by contacting Rogers to ensure that the number was available or someone inside Bell worked in collusion with the individual(s) involved in this crime. In addition, when I discussed with people I knew, they contacted Bell their service provider to ask for security measures to be added to their account and they were denied that service. It took 8 days for the fraud investigator from Rogers to contact me and he said that typically service providers will not add security as a preventative measure, only after the fact. So, if you choose an alternate provider, stay away from Bell and interrogate any new company about this issue.  For me it was a long and painful process resolving everything and it was not finally settled until March. I wish you the best of luck and I am sorry this happened to you

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kirbybrush wrote:

I would love it if a Rogers rep would PM me about blocking the ability to port my number.

Typically, they won't PM you  until you PM them first.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Rogers-Community-Forums-Blog/Get-to-know-your-Community-How-To...

michelle1993
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi

this occurred recently to my friend.   Freedom ported her cell number to a new customer.  She only found this out when she sent a text to me, and when I replied back it went to the NEW FREEDOM Customer.  

Freedom said they WOULD not force the new  client to change their number, they would have to do it willingly.  They ignored her for 3 weeks.  since she had this line for over 25 years, and she does receive a lot calls, so this new Freedom client ended up giving her number back because of this.  

So to the response from Rogers in this thread is incorrect.  You can lose your number at anytime, they have no measures in place to protect their customer.  This occurred Spring 2020.

My son wanted to move his plan to Rogers, they ended up porting someone's landline over to his mobile account.  that issue only took a day to fix.  but how is this possible?  Rogers, you need to protect your clients.

Hey @michelle1993,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😊 I hope you're staying safe and sound. As a consumer myself, I certainly understand the importance of knowing that you're protected with security measures in place. With that said, we most definitely want you to have peace of mind and can assure you that the safety of our customer's service(s) are very much at the forefront of our focus when it comes to implementing any type of security measures. We'd love to shed some light on the policies and procedures we have in place with you! Please feel free to reach out to us at @CommunityHelps. In the event that you're unfamiliar with our private messaging system, feel free to Click Here. Looking forward to hearing from you! 

Regards, 

RogersJo

Ronwilliams777
I've Been Around
I just went from chatr to Rogers and I got them to send my sim card to my mom's house not my mailing address and a week later I have a creditor letter . I am 1000% sure it's from Rogers leaking my Information I'm ready to cancel my account on the principal . Not impressed and people should know

Hi @Ronwilliams777,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community! 

We can certainly understand your concerns and we're sorry to hear that you are considering cancelling your account. We never sell or give out any of our customer’s personal information, including phone numbers and addresses, because your privacy is very important to us. 

Rogers privacy practices comply with:

• All relevant federal and provincial laws and regulations, including the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA).
  • Rules established by the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC).

Regards, 

RogersRob