Port Validation Security Measures

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Port Validation Security Measures

Recent scam reports say Rogers sends message to your phone telling you that your phone number is being ported and to stop this you have to call them. What Rogers should do instead is send message to your phone asking you to confirm that you want your number ported. As an added security you should have to proved a porting password along with the confirmation in case someone has stolen your phone. 

I've Been Here Awhile

i'm a victim of the sim scan too. 

Trust me they aren't going to do anything but that doesn't mean you should stop escalating. My case was with the Office of the President who really didn't do much! It took almost 2 months to actually get a hold of someone from the Fraud department and even the individual at the Office of the President ended up emailing my information to another client. Talk about breach of privacy on top of my privacy issue. To top it off, i just got an email to find out that my account has an 'extra' account attached to it. the secondary account was added by a fraudster (don't know if it is the same one from before) they changed my name and ordered additional service through this account. Unfortunately, my PIN code, voice print AND/ OR security question was never utilized to make these changes and in fact, looks like the Rogers employee just went ahead with this without actually verifying me. funny huh? Even better, the 'fraudster' even called in to change the spelling of my name. To the Rogers employee, doesnt' seem like that was a red flag.  All I can say is WOW.... 

I've Been Here Awhile

Same here - no choice but to go to office of president.

My suggestion is to also open a ticket here with CCTS

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/methods-of-submitting-a-complaint/
I've Been Around

Hello RogersTony:

Pre-porting 2-factor authentication would easily solve this problem. I understand the Australian governments is pushing for this or had already mandated this. Does Rogers plan to soon or is it implemented already? Thank you
I've Been Around

Currently on hold an hour with Rogers trying to get my phone activated after receiving this message.

"Rogers has received a request to transfer your telephone number to another Service Provider,  If you did not authorize, contact Rogers urgently at 1-877-327-8503"

This seemed like a fraudulent message, but my phone number is no longer working and I'm now afraid scammers are trying to access my banking and credit card accounts.  I'm frustrated being on hold this long, as I want to reach out to my bank and credit card company to be sure scammers aren't trying to access my money!!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Personal opinion, I'd contact the bank, and credit card company first, and then any other institution for which you use two-factor authentication, using your phone.  The bank and credit card company will take only minutes compared to being on hold with Rogers for hours.  Put a hold on all of your accounts and file a possible security breach incident with the bank and credit card company to prevent any losses from your accounts.  You can always remove then later at your convenience. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I can 2nd this - the most common attack vector is paypal.

My very first call was to paypal using online chat and my home phone. Literally within 2 minutes of "porting" my number - I had scammers in Montreal trying to place orders with US and UK online retailers (they choose foreign retailers to complicate litigation). I was on the phone with Paypal while they tried to place orders - and was able to have them flagged as fraud.

Can't stress this enough - change two factor authentication so it doesn't use SMS - use an authenticator app instead - and if for any reason some clown ports your number call paypal first using your home phone.

I'm super annoyed at this - I've been a Rogers Cellular Customer for 22+ years - this sort of thing shouldn't be possible by default - not thru some after enabled port lock. 

I'm a Senior Contributor

@DavidEllis wrote:

Can't stress this enough - change two factor authentication so it doesn't use SMS - use an authenticator app instead - and if for any reason some clown ports your number call paypal first using your home phone.

That's a very good piece of advice. I guess an authenticator app, or maybe even have codes sent via e-mail? After all, in the beginning the thieves don't have access to your physical phone, just the phone number.

I Plan to Stick Around

The advantage of the 3rd party authenticator app (Microsoft or Google) - is its like those old RSA keys - the serial and pass number are generated on the device - there is nothing sent between the phone and the authenticator - makes it mathematically impossible/improbable to hack. 

I almost forgot - do not - like ever - give google or outlook your cell phone as a recovery number.

I'm a Senior Contributor

Just updating - I decided to try an online CHAT with tech support and got an agent right away. He has added Port Protection to both cell phones in my account. It will be active within 72 hours. Essentially what it does is that it flips the default to DO NOT PORT. It means that if I actually *want* to port to a different carrier in the future, I will only be able to do so by calling the Rogers validation team on the phone and arranging it directly.

To my mind this should be the DEFAULT, not the other way around. He explained that it is not Rogers fault, and their hands are tied, since it is a CRTC rule that is in place to allow the consumer a seamless transfer. CRTC clearly needs to rethink that - they are making it far too easy for every thief out there.

I can check the account after 72 hours to confirm the port protection is ON, but after that I will have to go on faith that it stays on I guess. 

I guess we should be taking our beef to the CRTC. 

Anyway, assuming I am now (or will be in 72 hours) protected, it was not a difficult thing to arrange. But who KNOWS all of this - certainly not common knowledge!