Port Validation Security Measures

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Port Validation Security Measures

You state "we cannot specifically identify what data was given to the other service provider to authorize the transfer." Obviously Rogers knows the data handed by the other service provider to port our number, the data that was used by the other service provided that you claim you can't identify? 

Please tell us what kind of data Rogers needs to port a number?  Then we can make certain not to include it in our social media apps to be hacked. 

Two weeks ago I was assured by Rogers that someone from the fraud department would call me. I'm still waiting for this call. I will try to reach them today if I can find the patience to go through the process.

Your standard reply to everyone that was hacked really doesn't give us confidence that Rogers is doing all they can to prevent fraudulent porting. You know as well as any of us the police will not do much with our complaints.

I've Been Here Awhile

Do you know how this port Protection really  works. I am also a victim of this porting crime where last week my Rogers number was ported out.

1. Does Rogers will wait before getting a consent to the SMS they will send?
  2. Or only they will send the SMS that they are porting the #? 

Not sure which option? because I do lots of international travel and sometime I don't  have access to Rogers text messages for couple of days when I am in Europe or Asia on a 10 hour flight. My concern is that if they will send an SMS but not wait for my consent...than its not protection..just an alert

I'm Here A Lot

I believe rogers is not doing enough as this problem is persistent.
Rogers should let us know exactly what info is required to have your phone ported out so we can protect our info more.
Like i said before usa service providers have a port validatuon system whick works good and Rogers should do the same. Adding a pin to a rogers account doesnt work well as you can see from customers reviews......port validation is the way to go just like the U.s. providers.
I've Been Here Awhile

I like how Rogers is playing this one, trying to redirect everyone’s attention to their credentials being compromised elsewhere. How confident is Rogers that someone working with or for Rogers who has access to customer accounts isn’t actually selling cliente information to fraudulent individuals. Again it happened twice to me in the space of 4 months, getting my number ported and not once did Rogers call back, I still had to chase them to fix this. I am still waiting on a call with a solution for this.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The next step is probably a complaint to the Police or RCMP, and the Privacy Commissioner.  When speaking of private data access, the Privacy Commissioner is probably the office that should be concerned with this as its a wide ranging concern across many companies and industries.  Rogers decision not to release the private data that allowed exfiltration of the cell phone numbers is probably a good basis for a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner as the decision leaves the affected customers open to continuing ID theft and fraud.  Anyone who suffers from economic loss should probably fill out a report with their local police or RCMP.   At some point those reports will hopefully be part of a case against the individuals who are essentially carrying out ID theft and fraud. 

A complaint to the CRTC might also be useful, not only to bring this to the attention of the CRTC for future action, but also to force carriers to reveal to the customers, the personal data that was used by the perpetrators to carry out the porting.  Knowing that data might actually help the customers track down the source of the data.  

I'm Here A Lot

The possibility of someone inside selling information is starting to make sense. It's happening much too often. 

I don't understand Rogers' lack of cooperation. I was on the phone with them for 50+ minutes today going back and forth and ending where I started. At that point, I asked to speak with the manager. I was told to "hold the line and please don't hang up the manager is looking at your file" my phone was disconnected about four minutes after and they didn't call me back.  At another point they told me my file was sent to "The Office of the President". At another point, I was told it's easy to get your line back but you need a temp number first and a new SIM card. I really do not know what to do anymore. I had this number for over 19 years and I would like to keep it but at what expense?

I've Been Here Awhile

They don’t wait for your consent , but you can ask them to add a port protection to your number , call coustomer service and ask them to add port protection, it takes 72 hours to be effective once it’ added Rogers will call you before transferring your number to another provider
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you for the information to ad porting security. I'm thinking of dropping Rogers (after 20 years) but if I get my number back I might stay with them if I can get this protection. My Paypal was hacked and my Mastercard as well. Not a pleasant experience.

I'm Here A Lot

I hope so. I hear people are waiting weeks for a call and they never ask a pin if you add it.
I've Been Here Awhile

It just happened to me. My Rogers number I've had for over 20 years got transferred to another carrier. They then we're able to access my PayPal account and made a purchase for over $1000. I'm really upset. By the time I got a notification that my number was transferred was too late. In fact I was on the phone with Rogers when my cell phone was disconnected. I expected more from you guys. Call me. You have my cell phone. Is it really true you want to cancel your account with Rogers.? No phone call.