Port Validation Security Measures

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Port Validation Security Measures

Same thing happened to me but they got my # back within 48 hours. Now the problem is Rogers opened up a temp line and did a credit check when I specifically asked them not to. It came up on my recent credit report. I want to escalate this matter because I did not consent to this. anyone have advice? 

I have been a customer for 20 years and I also have Rogers internet with them. I didn’t even want the temp # because the same day I got my other number back. Didn’t use a second of the line or a KB of data. What a waste of time and credit. Please let me know what I need to know to fix this. Thanks for any input

Highlighted

Hello, @gageev.

Thank you for your participation in this discussion; I'm glad that you got your number back. 

We can absolutely investigate as to what transpired during the temporary line setup and escalate the issue on your behalf; please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. You can find details about our private messaging in this blog

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I was trying port my number to bell from Rogers today and when bell requested porting , Rogers send a text message to validate that request . I was very impressed with Rogers response . Bell doesn’t have any security features to prevent illegal porting so I decided to stay with Rogers regardless of best offer from bell
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I didn’t receive this text verification. The port came out of the blue and I wouldn’t have known about it if I wasn’t on a wifi network and received an email from PayPal verifying my password and associated email changes to my account with them. It was THEIR email that alerted me in time to prevent massive issues. Certainly nothing Rogers did prevented this. And spending hours trying to sort it on the phone with your company and being told on a Friday I wouldn’t have a number till Monday also unacceptable. You do have a duty for consumer protection in all of this.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Customers have to call in to add port protection to their cell phone accounts, its not automatic, and the front line agents can't do this for you.  They have to send a request to a back office team, and apparently, you will not be notified that the porting alert has been added to the account.  Only way to confirm that is to call back at some point down the road.  The port protection or account alert should be added within 72 hours of the initial request.  

I just had a conversation with a customer service rep who had never done this, so, she had no idea at the start of the conversation of how this was done.  This has been taken care of to my satisfaction, but, I found it interesting that the staff members who deal with cell phone accounts may not know, by this point in time, what the current procedures are for adding port protection to the account.  

Bottom line, don't assume anything.  Call in and check your account status and add, or confirm that port protection has been added to your account. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Text message is not port protection, it is an automatic system alerting the customer, I am
Not sure why she didn’t receive it . Yes port protection is a secondary tool Rogers implemented , it takes 72 hours to added on your phone once requested
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would add it even if you do not need it, its an extra layer of protection to protect your number from being ported out, whats harm in an extra call or text when porting to another carrier? almost no harm in doing so, its piece of mind

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

My number was ported without my consent! Hence, Rogers is responsible for all the fraudulent actions made using my SIM card. My PayPal account was used on the same day without my consent. What will Roger do to fix this weakness in porting numbers? 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

My Rogers cell number was recently illegally ported. In the past 3 days I’ve spent hours and hours trying to pull everything back together. The scammer was able to port my number without any contact to Rogers. I can’t reach the person who is managing my case and I have lots of questions. They stole over $4000. I need protection and answers
Highlighted

Good evening @tyka and @amandadraig2 

Thanks for your posts! Having your phone number ported out unexpectedly can certainly be a nightmare for anyone!

Unfortunately, we have no way to control someone from getting a hold of your personal information through a third party and this means we cannot specifically identify what data was given to the other service provider to authorize the transfer. We view this as criminal activity.  If you feel that your personal information has been compromised in any way, we would strongly recommend that you contact your local authorities to report this incident.

Your previous SIM Card was permanently cancelled for your protection when the transfer to the other carrier occurred. We do have the option to ship a SIM Card to you but this will take up to 24 business hours. The fastest way to have your line up and running is to obtain one from a store location. Once you obtain a new SIM, we will initiate the process of retrieving your number and we will revert all the incorrect charges and reinstate your account including your previous price plan.

We are responsible for protecting your personal information specific to your Rogers account. Adding a PIN can help further the safety and security of your Rogers account information as it would be required with every interaction you have with us. We apologize for the inconveniences this may cause you.

Please reach out to us to initiate the process of recovering your phone number. Here are some of your support options:  

Feel free to send us a Private Message @CommunityHelps if you want the Community Forums team to assist you or if you need more information. For steps and details on our Private Messaging system, click here

RogersMaude