Port Validation Security Measures

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Port Validation Security Measures

Thank you for this post. I just called Rogers today to add port protection to my account. I will call them again in 72 hours to verify that this has been added. My son had his number ported, and it was a harrowing ordeal for him and his wife. I would like to ask out of curiosity, what exactly happens when one adds port protection? Does Rogers simply refuse all port requests? I have a great plan with them so I do not ever plan to leave Rogers in the foreseeable future. Thanks.

Highlighted

Good evening @CaptainT,

Welcome to the Rogers Community! Thank yo for your post. Taking all the necessary measures to prevent any port out fraud attempt is best.

We certainly want to answer all your questions regarding this situation and we do want you to have to call in again. Feel free to send us a private message to inquire about this further. Not familiar with our private messaging system? No worries, click here.

RogersMaude

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I did this, and did call back in 72 hours to verify that the port alert protection was indeed added to my account. It was quite easy to do (once I got through the menu option maze) and the agents were fairly knowledgeable and pleasant to deal with.

With the prevalence of porting scams, it would be a great time saver if 'Port Protection' could be added to the options currently on the menu, as none of the options really dealt with this.

I also tried 'Live Chat', and after a lot of 'templates' was told that Live Chat does not support prepaid accounts. It would be nice to know this right at the beginning.

Thanks for reading.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I booked a flight on Air Canada’s website a week and a half earlier to being a victim of this scam. Do you think there’s a relation?
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I posted a similar question as this a few posts earlier also asking as I had also had a booking through Air Canada vacations and was away when my number was ported also had email screwups from Air Canada showing multiple bookings SO ARE THEY HACKED GIVING ACCESS TO OUR CONFIDENTIAL RESERVATIONS INFO Just asking? Were you away when your cell number was ported?

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

My number wasn't ported, but my son's was. I just decided to get the port protection to prevent that from happening to me as this scam seems to be gaining steam in Canada.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I have gone through this painful process and setup the port protection and PIN. They have confirmed to me that I have a port protection now and i will asked the PIN everything i call. Here the concerns now:

1 -  Every time i called ( at least three times i called), no one asked me my PIN

2 -  Its happening to Rogers customers only. Try to search Bell or Tellus online and you will find that its a Rogers issue.

Seems Bell and Tellus are at least confirming the account # before porting out. In the case of Rogers, they don't have any check and balance in place. You cannot blame it on CRTC rules only, you can still verify account # and the PIN...

This is very disappointing.

Regards

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

@Ak26 wrote:

I have gone through this painful process and setup the port protection and PIN. They have confirmed to me that I have a port protection now and i will asked the PIN everything i call. Here the concerns now:

1 -  Every time i called ( at least three times i called), no one asked me my PIN

2 -  Its happening to Rogers customers only. Try to search Bell or Tellus online and you will find that its a Rogers issue.

Seems Bell and Tellus are at least confirming the account # before porting out. In the case of Rogers, they don't have any check and balance in place. You cannot blame it on CRTC rules only, you can still verify account # and the PIN...

This is very disappointing.

Regards

This is very curious. I added port protection to my account a couple of weeks ago and there was NO PIN involved. I was told that the only way my number could be ported at this point was for me to contact Rogers Validation people and actively ask for porting of the account.  As in, default is NO PORTING unless I ask and validate.

Who did you talk to to get a PIN? Why is it that everyone's experience is not the same here?

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

This goes back to my idea that this is an inside job.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Sad thing is - its not - and doesn't need to be an inside job. And you don't need to hack Air Canada.

Do what the scammer did - setup a pay as you go phone (sim only) - and port your number. On the port request use your proper name, and the phone number as an account number - specify a dummy address.

Your number will be ported within 3 days.

If you setup a pin - try the same - see if you get asked a pin.

After 22 years as a Rogers customer - this is really disappointing.