Port Validation Security Measures

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Port Validation Security Measures

Apparently a fraudster impersonated me at another telecom company and convinced them to port my number to their company. The fraudster was able to access my email, which compromised all of my emails and theoretically my financial accounts. There were unauthorized transactions on my credit card which thankfully did not go through. I canceled credit cards and changed all passwords, though I am locked out of the email that was associated with my Rogers account, because the fraudster would have changed the password. I can still see the inboxes and in the sent folder, the fraudster forwarded an e-gift card worth hundreds of dollars to their fraudster email address (I can see their email address).

I have taken some steps to secure my identity, like changing passwords and phone number and monitoring my financial accounts, and filing a police report and reports with the credit bureaus. But this is a jarring experience and I certainly feel like my identity has been compromised. Rogers customer service staff have been helpful and acted quick enough to get the fraudster out (l am still paranoid that I could still be exposed to the fraudster). But, Rogers is so far refusing to divulge which telecom company and their location it was which stole my cell phone number. I feel it is only fair to hold the other telecom company accountable, along with the fraudster of course. Rogers has stated to me that their primary concern is my security, but Rogers allowed this telecom company to do this. Although I received a warning text, I thought it was spam, just like other people have thought who are a victim to this same scheme. I would like Rogers to investigate the location where this happened and obtain some way to identify the fraudster. The other telecom company that got duped should also be held accountable for their carelessness. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Samdalf if you can see the fraudster's email address you should consider contacting the email host company in an attempt to lock the account and determine the fraudster's ID.  It might be too late to do anything about the gift card, but, you can certainly try.  I would also start phoning other mobile phone companies to attempt to track down your phone number.  Don't know if the would release that info, but, if the other companies looked at the sim swap and number porting data, and determined that one of them now holds your phone number, you could at least attempt to freeze the account and determine the fraudsters ID.  

I'd also submit a complaint to the CRTC via the CCTS.  Its time to change the rules concerning porting and sim swaps. 

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/plaint.htm

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/contact/#complaint

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sorry to hear what happened. I hope u can get some closure on this. If your @Rogers.com email was compromised and the password changed then dont worry if u call Roger's technical support they can get it back to you. Also I suggest going into your out box and print the e-gift card and spend it before the fraudster does. You might as well treat yourself with your money before someone else does. Best of luck

Highlighted
I've Been Around

My phone number has been transferred to Bell with no authorization too. Now, after reading endless complaints, I understand why after 3 days I didnt get any call from the fraud team. And it's not just this! I got my phone number back only 2 days later and what do I see on my account? Totally different plan than I used to have with much less internet and for a higher price! This doesnt make any sense! I feel like I am working for Rogers in last 3 days, as I had to spend hours on the phone with different agents, and of course each one of them provided me with a different info. I'll have to call tomorrow again to get back my plan. Why do I have to go through all this?? Where is the service???
Highlighted

Good evening and welcome to the Community @Anitsirk,

Your account's security is of the utmost importance to us.

We appreciate you taking the time to bring this up to our attention and sharing your experience with the Community.

I realize spending a lot of time over the phone can't be easy. Were my colleagues able to address your concerns and resolve the issue for you since you last posted here?

Please let us know if you have any questions. 

RogersZia

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi RogersLaura:

The second last paragraph below does not help with respect to mybconcerns about unauthorized porting. I’m referring to the paragraph that starts with “I also want to specify...”.

There have been numerous highly publicized data breaches of the personal information of millions of Canadians. So all kinds of personal information of Canadians is available for hackers and fraudsters to use with respect to unauthorized porting of cell numbers. I have a suggestion that Rogers should consider and have already made it but I think it was missed.

As a long time customer (more than 30 years with no plans on changing companies) I would like to receive a text advising me if porting has been initiated to Carrier Company X and asking my permission to proceed or not. I could simply reply yes or no. If Rogers included this as part of their porting out procedures, it should stop unauthorized porting in its tracks. This would be done while I was in possession of my cell number.

Please let me know what you and others at Rogers think of this idea.

Thank you and best Regards
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

@davethecurler wrote:
Hi RogersLaura:

The second last paragraph below does not help with respect to mybconcerns about unauthorized porting. I’m referring to the paragraph that starts with “I also want to specify...”.

There have been numerous highly publicized data breaches of the personal information of millions of Canadians. So all kinds of personal information of Canadians is available for hackers and fraudsters to use with respect to unauthorized porting of cell numbers. I have a suggestion that Rogers should consider and have already made it but I think it was missed.

As a long time customer (more than 30 years with no plans on changing companies) I would like to receive a text advising me if porting has been initiated to Carrier Company X and asking my permission to proceed or not. I could simply reply yes or no. If Rogers included this as part of their porting out procedures, it should stop unauthorized porting in its tracks. This would be done while I was in possession of my cell number.

Please let me know what you and others at Rogers think of this idea.

Thank you and best Regards

With respect, you need to read the whole thread here. This all came to people's attention because Rogers was *only* doing exactly what you suggest: send an SMS to advise that porting was taking place and if you wanted to stop it you had to reply immediately and say "no". Most people did not recognize the SMS as legit and ignored, or had their phone off, or were in a meeting or for whatever reason did not/could not respond to the text in a timely manner.

If no text reply, then the default was to PORT the number.

This is apparently a CRTC rule to make it *easier* for us to port our numbers, but the gaping security hole is large enough to drive a truck through.

I and others are suggesting that the default needs to be *DO NOT PORT* until and unless Rogers can validate the request is real and I am who I say I am. 

Doing what you suggest not only will NOT stop the porting scams in their tracks, it is the very essence of the problem. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the clarification! Agreed.
Highlighted
I've Been Around

I was just advised by your customer service that port protection takes 72 hours to activate, which is considered to be dumb. Reason being, if someone is going to scam your number it only takes about 2 hours to do so. By the time port protection is activated all your information is already lost. Is there a quicker way to get this done.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Dear Rogers. If your current process is a CRTC rule then please ask them to convene a  emergency meeting to change it. And do the right thing immediately and make all porting possible ONLY if you get a positive confirmation from account owner whose identity has been confirmed by multiple checks. We should not have to ask for port protection, this should be done for everyone. If someone does not want port protection then these individuals should have to ask to have port protection removed. You have had plenty of complaints of fraud and you must take action immediately to prevent any further fraudulent porting. No more excuses please. Action please.