Port Validation Security Measures

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Port Validation Security Measures

Unfortunately I have been dealing with this fraud since 11 Feb this is what you have to look forward to. ROGERS has their employees well versed in the non-committal answers to the point where their employees are not returning calls if they happen to miss you first try and leave a call back number (guess they must be getting tired listening to the same frustrated questions that they can't answer). 8 days after leaving a voicemail I finally heard back from Rogers Fraud Department (with intervention by the MODs on this forum -thanks) and received the same basic answers as the regular customer service agent gave me. Essentially trying to tell you the customer that we must have made our information available to a third party WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH AN UNAUTHORIZED PORT OUT when your customer is not notified by any means and the port out process took 22 minutes from initial request to transfer (and 72 hours to get Port Protection)?? If someone does enough research they will find that there are 2 main carriers involved in this scheme and you can find details that will tell you exactly how this scam works without access to an account number. I am now waiting for a call back from "The Presidents Office" I missed her call by a minute as I was completing a call on another line the other day immediately returning her call only to get voicemail - that was Tuesday 11:18am!

Come on ROGERS we are VICTIMS of a FRAUD! Who knows what Personal and Financial information was gained through access made easier by your weak security measures. Most of us are LONG TERM CUSTOMERS all I, as well as most others are asking, is Identity Theft Protection and Credit Monitoring fees to be PAID or PROVIDED by ROGERS others may also be looking for financial compensation for those transactions that cannot be reversed.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I just had the same thing happen to me tonight. Called Rogers and they have escalated it. Asked how long it will take to hear back from them and they said up to 48hrs and that I can go to a local store to get a temporary number hooked up while I wait. If they don't do anything I may just switch providers. I was fast enough that I was able to cancel the transfer and my cards and that was all reversed.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

My number was ported a couple of days ago. Yes Rogers sends a text but the problem is that with all the junk texts that now come through somehow, how does one recognize real from scam? By the time I realized that there was an issue (less than 45 minutes) my number was gone. I called Rogers who confirmed that it had been ported. I spent the rest of my evening and the next day, trying to sort and figure everything out. Luckily, I was able to lock up accounts and get into accounts (although some passwords had already been changed) and nothing was taken or purchased. I understand that some people change phones and service providers frequently but the ease at which this is done is incredible!!! There needs to be a verification process in place to ensure that the request is legitimately coming from the account holder. In my opinion, the protection of my personal information far outweighs someone's transfer of their cell to another provider!!! 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

My issue with a text is that we are now getting so many scam texts. I only answer to texts that I know are legitimately from someone I know. When I received a text 2 nights ago, I was concerned about responding without knowing for sure who the text was from and because the number is ported so quickly, my number was gone and my phone was dead before I could reach an agent.
I've Been Here Awhile

I have made 3 calls in 2 days and only once was I asked for my PIN. In the past, I was always asked for the PIN!! Why is it that I as the account holder have to jump through hoops but some random yahoo can steal my number and access to my personal info with far less? Furthermore, what is the point of having a PIN number if it isn't being used to authenticate the caller?
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I would say that Rogers uses voice authentication. When it happened to me (such a terrible memory) Rogers was nit informed by Bell that they were porting the number. They are supposed to. It could have been inside fraud with Bell, an employee colluding with a customer. Who knows?
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I would love it if a Rogers rep would PM me about blocking the ability to port my number.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

This happened to me Dec 6 2019 and I feel lucky that so far I did not have to deal with Covid 19 related restrictions in addition to the terror and frustration of being the victim of fraud. Since you mentioned that you are considering an alternate carrier, I wanted to pass some information to you. The other carrier involved in the porting of my cell phone number was Bell. They either failed to follow protocols by contacting Rogers to ensure that the number was available or someone inside Bell worked in collusion with the individual(s) involved in this crime. In addition, when I discussed with people I knew, they contacted Bell their service provider to ask for security measures to be added to their account and they were denied that service. It took 8 days for the fraud investigator from Rogers to contact me and he said that typically service providers will not add security as a preventative measure, only after the fact. So, if you choose an alternate provider, stay away from Bell and interrogate any new company about this issue.  For me it was a long and painful process resolving everything and it was not finally settled until March. I wish you the best of luck and I am sorry this happened to you

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kirbybrush wrote:

I would love it if a Rogers rep would PM me about blocking the ability to port my number.

Typically, they won't PM you  until you PM them first.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Rogers-Community-Forums-Blog/Get-to-know-your-Community-How-To...

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi

this occurred recently to my friend.   Freedom ported her cell number to a new customer.  She only found this out when she sent a text to me, and when I replied back it went to the NEW FREEDOM Customer.  

Freedom said they WOULD not force the new  client to change their number, they would have to do it willingly.  They ignored her for 3 weeks.  since she had this line for over 25 years, and she does receive a lot calls, so this new Freedom client ended up giving her number back because of this.  

So to the response from Rogers in this thread is incorrect.  You can lose your number at anytime, they have no measures in place to protect their customer.  This occurred Spring 2020.

My son wanted to move his plan to Rogers, they ended up porting someone's landline over to his mobile account.  that issue only took a day to fix.  but how is this possible?  Rogers, you need to protect your clients.