Port Validation Security Measures

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Port Validation Security Measures

Any chance the address they were using was Rue Renoir Laval Quebec. They were gonna ship an item there from Dyson Canada. However I called Dyson and canceled the transaction mentioning it was a fraudulent transaction and they shouldn't ship anything there. I call led the police and they took my report. Hope they get these guys.
I Plan to Stick Around

My guy shipped it to Av bois de Boulogne.

I've Been Around

How can I protect myself and my account from fraudulent SIM Swapping

Hello @Badger51,

Thanks for being a part of the Rogers Community Forums and congrats on your very first post! 👍

I know that security concerns are at the forefront of everyone's minds and it's important that we do what we can to protect our personal information as much as possible!

There are several things you can do to prevent yourself from becoming a victim of fraud. Please see below for some tips:

How Can I Protect Myself from Identity Theft?

• Shred documents that contain your personal information.
  • Keep identity documents in a secure place and carry only what you need with you.
  • Keep your computing devices updated with online security such as firewalls and virus protection.
  • When shopping or banking online, keep an eye out to ensure that the website’s URL contains “https” as this indicates it’s secure.
  • Ensure to periodically verify your credit report, bank and credit card statements and promptly report any discrepancies.
  • Ensure that your mobile device is password-protected.
  • Secure your credit card and bank accounts with challenging passwords that cannot be easily guessed.
  • Beware of email fraud and phishing scams.

Please also have a look at some of the helpful articles found in our Scam, Phishing & Fraud Discussions Knowledge Base board. 

As mentioned throughout this thread, there are a few different ways we can help make your account more secure on the backend. Feel free to send us a Private Message @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please CLICK HERE

Thank you,

RogersLaura

I'm a Senior Contributor

@RogersMaude said  "Rogers also sends an SMS notification for port requests that asks our customers to contact us if they have not requested a transfer of their phone number to another carrier."

Sending a text message with a number to call that is not recognized is useless. Who would ever call an unrecognized number within an unsolicited text message? We are all taught NEVER to do that....  It's like waving a flag that says "scam". Rogers has to do a better job to let us distinguish the one *real* message it sends from the dozens we get all the time *purporting* to be from Rogers that are themselves scam texts.

In the news item I saw today that alerted me to this issue in the first place, the woman who was scammed got the text, did not recognize the 'call-back' number, tried to look it up and concluded it was a scam/spam, so she ignored it. And then bam - her phone number was ported and she was victimized.

Frankly, I'm sure I would have done the same - and regarded it as a poor phishing expedition and not a legit message from Rogers. I likely would have ignored it as well, as I do all scam/phishing messages (a lot of which pretend to be from Rogers itself!).

If you can't come up with a better solution than that, then you don't deserve my business....

I'm a Senior Contributor

Further to my reply above to @RogersMaude, let me add...

Even if sending an SMS text is the only  practical way to handle this, for heaven's sake at least demand a POSITIVE reply. Right now, if I am sleeping, or my phone is off, or I am in a meeting, or for whatever reason I simply don't see the SMS, then in ABSENCE of a very QUICK reply you are going to take my non-answer as affirmative?? Surely this is backwards???

At the very least please implement a system where I have to POSITIVELY reply before you do anything drastic to my account - like give it away.  This is not the place for a 1-way SMS; this demands a 2-way conversation, especially in light of the rampant rise in prevalence of this fraud.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here's a recent article on this topic. It discusses what Rogers can and cannot do by regulation:

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/rogers/rogers-customer-victim-cell-number-porting-scam/

I've Been Around

Phone Number Porting Prevention - THERE IS NO PIN FOR ROGERS

There is incorrect info in replies to this post.

1. ROGERS does not have a PIN to prevent porting.

I just contacted customer service because I couldn't find a way to set a PIN for my account or telephone numbers anywhere in the online account management tools.

During the call, they told me THERE IS NO PIN.

2. You need to contact customer service and submit a request for their FRAUD PREVENTION TEAM to ADD A SETTING to the phone numbers on your account that PREVENTS THE TELEPHONE NUMBERS FROM BEING PORTED.

3. If you want to port the number to a different carrier in the future, you need to contact them to have that feature removed prior to moving the number.

I've Been Around

What a . response by Rogers - c'mon. You're living in the 1990's Rogers. I'm seriously looking at changing my provider to a company that understands 2020's security issues. Judging by all the responses I've seen from Rogers on this chat - Roger's is NOT that company.
I've Been Here Awhile

Call Rogers, ask for PortProtect to be added to your account.

It baffles me how this isn’t default for everyone - and how many of the reps don’t know about it. Push to make sure it’s activated, it’s under the alerts tab In their screen. Worst case ask to speak to the fraud department who can do it.

Triple check that it was done as I proactively called and asked for this BEFORE I was frauded but the first call center agent thought that a PIN on the account is the same thing! It is not!