Port Validation Security Measures

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Port Validation Security Measures

Sounds too familiar. The same thing happened to me early in November. I'm still waiting (Dec 18) to get my number back! Inside scammers I suspect. I called them half a dozen times, 40 to 50 minutes each time and all I got was apologies and no action. They closed the scam file because they couldn't reach me at the number they ported without my permission.  I don't know why they thought they could. I even gave them another cell number to reach me and I'm still waiting for their call. Call them and give them another number to reach you. My case is now in the hands of the "Office of the President", impressive isn't it?  

I'm Here A Lot

It happened to me!! I received a text telling me my number is being ported over and that if I did not authorize that, to call Rogers. Well, I called and in the middle of my call, my phone service died. What kind of security measures are in place if I’m not even given the time to refute this from happening??? I’m sooooooo not happy right now.
I've Been Around

I am so angry at Rogers. This just happened to me and what I don’t understand is why text me the warning after the phone is ported. By the time I get the text and tried calling back my phone no longer had service. Why don’t they text before the porting to ask for confirmation. This way the thief does not have access to the phone number yet. Seems like a very simple solution. I could be wrong but this seems to affect Rogers accounts mainly. And mine was ported to bell as well.

I've Been Here Awhile

Having a pin added is all very well IF ROGERS PERSONNEL WOULD ACTUALLY USE IT!
My number was illegally ported this past Saturday evening. I phoned Rogers as soon as I noticed I had no service. The Rogers system was down for 12 hours, and I was told to call back Monday morning ( . !)
$5000.00 dollars were stolen from my bank accounts. I have put a pin on my account. And EVERY time I have called Rogers since, not one person has verified my PIN.
Feeling very let down by Rogers and very insecure

Hello @Me01,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

We take our customers' security very seriously. If there is an account PIN set up on the account it should be asked for on every single interaction. 

I hope my colleagues over the phone were able to address all your concerns and resolve them in an efficient manner. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

RogersZia

I've Been Around

I feel you! I'm in the process of trying to deal with the same thing and Rogers has been nothing but rude and unhelpful.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Looks like they may have caught the SIM swap / port out hacker

Montreal teen charged in SIM swapping crypto scam

https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/01/17/montreal-teen-charged-sim-swapping-crypto-scam/

Hey Guys, so it looks like they caught one of the sim swapping and port out scammers.  When you get a text message that says you have a refund from rogers wireless or whomever some people click the link, this is how they get sensitive info from you, do NOT give any info, ignore that text at once, the people who fell for it and filled in their personal info, got their bank accounts drained and iPhones ordered and charged to their account and a lot worse too in some cases

I've Been Here Awhile

PIN was never asked for and my security was left wide open to fraud
What on earth is Rogers doing? No system access for 12 hours and told to call back Monday morning after notifying Rogers Saturday evening of a crime in progress. RCMP not very impressed either.
Will probably legally port to a provider who takes this more seriously when my contract is up
I'm Here A Lot

Please report this to consumer matters.
It is just a matter of time before another set of Roger's customer's get swapped
I Plan to Stick Around

They hit me 2 days ago - and no I didn't click those refund links.

Tried to port out my number and order a bunch of stuff with paypal - fortunately I have authenticator app secondary auth on everything as backup - and was able to shut it down in time.

I have a name and address for the attempted orders if that would be helpful. Just trying to find the right party to hand it off too.

Rogers was pretty helpful getting my number back (took 3 days), the process is just WAY to involved, I had to goto a store, setup a new account - transfer and close that account etc. etc. etc. all told I was on the phone for over 8 hours trying to resolve something that shouldn't have been an issue.

I believe the issue is that most carriers don't validate account numbers on port transfers - if you have a number and provide the same number for account #, you can port a number. 

I'm in IT, and IT Security, I don't click links, I don't have spyware, and I'm careful about what information I provide where. This is disappointing - telecommunications was once VERY concerned with Security - this is a loophole and causing considerable pain.