Port Validation Security Measures

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Port Validation Security Measures

RogersCorey,
Could you please describe how to add a PIN to a Rogers account?  There was no such option under the online profile or billing information settings.  Can this be done online or must one phone Rogers?  If one needs to phone Rogers, which phone number and which department do we ask for?

Regards,

Highlighted

Hi @Peege1223 & @Tank252ca,

@Peege1223, thanks for visiting us here in the Rogers Community Forums and congrats on your very first post!

We are certainly relieved that you were able to notice and catch it in time! Having your phone number ported out unexpectedly can be a nightmare for anyone, especially if you use the number to keep in touch with loved ones!

Unfortunately, we have no way to control someone else getting ahold of your personal information through a third party means or by using unethical tactics. Likewise, we would have no way to identify how your information was obtained. We can only be responsible for protecting your personal information specific to your Rogers account. Adding a PIN can help further the safety and security of your Rogers account information as it would be required with every interaction you have with us. If you feel that your personal information has been compromised in any way, we would strongly urge you to contact your local authorities to report this incident. 

@Tank252ca, welcome back! To have a PIN added to your Rogers account, you would need to reach out through one of our available avenues of support. Regretfully, it cannot be done through self-serve at this time. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Here are some of our support options:  

*Live Chat (7 am-midnight ET)

*Social Media Support (via Twitter @RogersHelps or on Facebook.com/Rogers)

* By Telephone:1-888-764-3771 (7 am-midnight ET)

Or feel free to send us a Private Message @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please CLICK HERE

Thank you,

RogersLaura

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Rogers, can you confirm that our numbers and account numbers have not been shared incorrectly, leaked or hacked through a security failure at Rogers? My number was fraudulently ported today and I was told by Rogers that the hackers must have gained my account ID by hacking into my email. However, my digital security team who handles my email can confirm there has not been any log-in activity to that account except from a specific computer in a specific location that only I have access to. A CTV report says, "Through social engineering, [the fraudsters] can often gather enough information to be able to use to trick some cellular customer service representatives out of needed information." How can we find out if Rogers has incorrectly given out my account number to someone other than myself? Do you record every time that information is given out? We need answers in order to protect ourselves. 

I Plan to Stick Around

My number was ported out yesterday as well. A rep told me i will get my number back within 3 days. This is extremely frustrating and I don’t have a phone to use. What are the chances I’ll get my number back? I’ve had it for over 20 years.
Highlighted
I've Been Around

I got my phone number ported yesterday...Within 15 minutes, the perpetrator commandeered my PayPal account and effectively locked me out. I lucked out and was at work, so I was able to call my bank and put a stop on things...I also had to go and clean out my cell phone from ALL important accounts like e-mail and such...so that this jerk cannot reset those passwords. And man did the guy try to hit me...

Anyway...I had called Rogers CSR this morning to confirm that a fraud incident was actually put in place and the CSR told me about the "Wireless Port Protection"...He says it basically is something to put in place to prevent this from happening automatically. My big question is WHY is this not a given? Why do I need to go and ask for this to be added? At the least, why is it not sent out to all customers to let them know that this is even a possibility to add?

It is a lot of grief to go through if you get your phone ported out...and AFTER that, you find out something could have been done about it before hand. THAT makes me even more mad.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I had the most horrid time dealing with this...

It all started on Thursday November 14th, I got a text from Rogers that said: “Rogers msg: you’re canceling your line” or something like that. I disregarded it as I always do with any unsolicited text or email I get, with the assumption that Rogers will contact me via email or telephone if they need to get a hold of me.

On Friday November 15th I come to work for what we were anticipating a busy day as part of our 3 day “private sale” that we have twice a year. Early afternoon I noticed my phone said “no service” on the top left corner, I disregarded it since I was busy with a client and I didn’t really need to call anyone. After my appointment left, at around 2pm, I restarted my phone hoping this would solve it… it didn’t. So I called Rogers. When they finally answered, I mentioned what had happened and their response was “you cancel your line with us yesterday”, or course I didn’t I said and again they said “yes you did, we texted you”. My reply was if I did why am I calling you?? Anyway, it turned ugly after that because they kept blaming me when clearly Rogers is to blame. I ended up having to go out to a Rogers retail store to get a new sim card and temp number, and even at the store they guy kept justifying Rogers actions; “that it is perfectly legal to do what we did”. Again, it wasn’t pleasant to deal with this accusation. I had to leave work in the middle of a sale where, not only I missed opportunities to sell vehicles, but also I have no real idea how many phone calls I may have missed because of this. I spent the rest of that day dealing with my bank account and other websites that used my cell phone number as verification and validation to gain access; Amazon, Netflix, Gmail, Hotmail, etc. And the most important of them all, my bank account!!

Saturday November 16th was spent dealing with other websites and dealing with your fraud department, which by the way never called me after leaving a message.

Sunday November 17th I called the fraud department again at 1-888-381-8076 X 8895 for Vlad, left a message again and called back and left a VM in the main line. Finally at 15:42 Sunday I got a text from Rogers that they got my number back, with what to me looked like a sarcastic comment “Welcome!” like I had left to begin with.

I also received a phone call later that afternoon from the fraud department from what up to now, turned to be the best representative of your company. A very pleasant gentleman, I wish I could remember his name. He explained what had happened and how the system is flawed and that it shouldn’t have happened. When my number was stolen because of you negligence, my wife’s line became the primary line and mine the secondary with the temp number.

The rate on my line have always been a bit higher than hers, just because I use my phone more, so that higher charge became my wife’s and when my number was restored my rate was at the highest rate as well. That’s something else I needed to call in for to make sure we were charged correctly…. again, your negligence.

I spent 3 days going through many unpleasant situations and all due to your negligence. I have no idea how much business and possible sales I lost because of this, impossible to measure. Not to mention my time and effort and frustration dealing with a few institutions that doubted it was me calling because of this situation.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Received at text Ron Rogers that someone was wanting to port my number and if not me call this number immediately. Well I called it and as I was explaining the situation my phone goes dead. Not on network. My email was hacked and password changed. DO NOT Have your phone number as a secondary security feature. They changed so many passwords. They used PayPal and went on shopping spree. They act so quick I cancelled credit cards but 2 charges had already went through. Rogers needs to up the security big time. Time will tell as to how much damage was done.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

It doesn’t matter how secure my passwords are if someone ports my number and uses it for the two factor verification. They can reset the password in all of the platforms without needing to know it. Nice try though to put that back to your customer as a fault rather than implement measures to prevent this.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

If there are measures that are put in place to make sure a rogers customer does not get cell swapped.....why is it still happening to rogers customers? I have heard of a rogers customer recently being caught up in this scam.
Do you think Rogers will have port validation in the near future? I hear it works very well in Usa with other providers these providers also ask for the same information as Rogers when verifying a customer who calls in to customer support. And they also provide a port validation sustem that ensures our security...
Highlighted

Good day Community,

Thanks for your posts! We totally understand your concerns surrounding fraud prevention.

We take protecting our customers’ personal information very seriously, and as fraudsters evolve their tactics, we work with other carriers to continually strengthen processes to prevent unauthorized porting.

Rogers also sends an SMS notification for port requests that asks our customers to contact us if they have not requested a transfer of their phone number to another carrier.

Thank you for your input! As usual, we value your feedback greatly.

RogersMaude