Phone Scam

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Phone Scam

I'm getting calls from a so-called anti-virus company, saying that my computer is infected. I know for a fact that these calls are a fishing scam. Many have been arrested in the UK and the US has caught onto them as well.

The phone ID always has "Unknown name and a randon phone number (usually a 818#). Normally calling back this number gets a "disconnected line" reponse, but tonight, after another call and a rather fun conversation, I called the number to get an official AMERICAN fishing warning.

From what I can find out, this is based in India. For obvious reasons they disregard any "don't call me again" lines.

So what I am wondering, short of changing my Home Phone #, is there anything Rogers can do? Is there a way to trace these calls?

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersHemal
Retired Moderator

Re: Phone Scam

Unfortunately we are not able to trace these calls back to the origin.  We are getting a number of reports regarding this issue.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Everyone I know is getting these.. It doesn't matter if they have Rogers, Bell, Primus, etc... Best bet is to tell them you have a mac.. They hang up pretty quickly..
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

just dont fall for this, its a scam

I've Been Around

I also have been frequently called by the "Computer Support Center" for problems "with my windows".

I do not accept the answer that you cannot trace them as a final answer to this issue.  While it is understandable that you cannot trace things outside of the Rogers domain it is not acceptable if that is the final answer.

What else is being done to stop these calls?  Do we need to involve the authorities?  Normally they call when I am not at home and they end up speaking to my mother, but the last time I was home and spoke with them.  At the end of the call they were threatening me and highly abusive in their language.

THank you,

KJ

I've Been Around

thats exactly whats happening with me at the moment and i tried blocking and they keep on threatening me and i m from india as well and i tried to talk to them in my language but they just wont give up. I tried getting the authorities involved but they were no help. The people who are calling me are using VOIP which generates a random number and rogers cannot block the number. I am so frustrated and want to change my number but then there is so much involved in changing the number. I really dont know what else to do. But i do feel the anger and frustration that u going through

I'm a Senior Advisor

They just called me again yesterday. It's been a while... Again I told them I have a mac and again they hung up.. Who knows where they are but I doubt they are easily blockable.. 

I don't have Rogers phone so it's not just a Rogers issue..

I've Been Around

i keep geting a call from the number 18554152112 they say they r from rogers but  i am shor they r a scam so i dont talk to them can some one tall me if it is a scam thks

Retired Moderator RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator

Hi @carta

The number is for authorized Rogers representative who is trying to contact you about your Rogers services. You can always call in to 1-888-ROGERS1 to speak to customer services representative as well.

@RogersPrasana