Phone Scam

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm New Here

Phone Scam

#7878 location call charges

I received my Rogers wireless (business account) bill yesterday. Because of the plan, the amount is usually same every month. I was surprised to see a charge of $39.99 for wireless usage. Thanks to detailed billing I found the information. 

I was charged $39.99 for an outbound call for a duration of 1 minute to a location #7878 and on a 647 number. I called Rogers right away to find out what it is. Shockingly it turns out to be one of those online phone calling companies like dating site etc. 

Now I know for the fact that I haven't made this call. No one has access to my phone. Strange enough - the bill shows at 8:01 pm at the same time I was talking to my niece for more than 20 minutes and at the same time I was talking on the dating site for 1 minute. 

The rep told me it looks like an accurate charge which i did not agree because I know I haven't made that call. Lately, I have been receiving missed calls from weird number and names and when I call back it gets automatically disconnected after 1st ring. I am not sure if this is connected. 

I told the rep its not about the money but my concern is what if I get charged $399  next month or even $3999 for that matter. They gave me the credit back but I am concerned that this really needs to be investigated. 

I am going to report this to Canadian Anti Fraud on Monday however let me know if anyone else had the same issue. Be careful guys. 

Thanks. 

***Edited Labels***

Retired Moderator RogersCilio
Retired Moderator

Re: Phone Scam

Hello @shahpranav2

Its unfortunate but there's always going to be instances like this, whether its with wireless, internet or land lines.  Thank you for sharing this with our community, I'm sure this knowledge will help someone else!

RogersCilio

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @shahpranav2

Sadly this will happen to anyone. It happened to me as well. Apparently i accepted a call from Peru which i never did & got charged $27.50 for it. Called in & talked to the rep. Told them to look at my records & they noticed never once have i called Peru or anyone else outside Canada other then Greece ( back home to my family members). They put a note on the account saying if it happens again to remove the charge.

Hopefully Rogers tracks this down & starts giving credits back as many do not know this yet.
Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

It seems very strange.

No usage shows up on a bill without it actually occuring on the phone. So I'm trying to wrap my mind around how this is possible. Man Surprised

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @locksown2341

Not that strange at all. Spoke to 2 managers and they have had their fair share of being charged numbers which they haven't called or picked up. So it does happen. Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen Smiley Happy. Even those managers were confused on how it happened but they have left notes and also sent it in to make sure it gets taken care of but sadly as we all know it takes time and spam calls will not stop.
Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

@Meowmix

Well you would think after working as a frontline agent for four years with two of the big three I would've seen everything. In my experience, and from everything I have been told, usage doesn't show up on a bill with no reason. If there is a charge for a text, phone call, or internet access, it means it happened. Again, this is what I understand from everything I've been told.

For this to have occured without the usage actually being done on the phone makes what I've been told not so clear and changes the perspective on a lot of phone calls I've taken over the years.

Anyway, hopefully this situation can be sorted out for all of those involved.

I've Been Around

I recently received a phone call from, 714-290-1748, claiming to be from Rogers Promotion Department. It was such an (extremely!) bad connection that I was immediately suspicious. I kept questioning him until HE finally hung up. Is there somewhere to report this? .....or I already have.    I Googled 714 and it's from California....supposedly.

I'm an Advisor

I'm a Senior Advisor

Fortunately the OP had the fraudulent charge removed, but he actually had a record of talking to his niece when this call was supposed to have taken place. But what if he couldn't prove it? What is Rogers' policy on these phantom calls? Is the customer always right, or at the mercy of the agent?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Here Awhile

My call from 714-290-1748 was with country code +9.  I didn't answer...

Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 12 in conversation