Phishing Scam

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Phishing Scam

Just thought your company would like to know I received an email this morning that someone at your company has kindly offered to donate $2M to me.

I could certainly use it, but for some bizarre reason, I doubt the authenticity of this email.

FYI, here is the email:

Dando, Kelly <>
8:47 AM (7 minutes ago)

to Kelly

Sent: Saturday, May 03, 2014 7:25 AM
To: Dando, Kelly
Subject: 

You have received a donation of $2m from Mr. Paul White. Kindly contact Mr. Paul White via email on  for more details.

***edited labels***
Solved! Go to Solution.
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Phishing Scam

Another already! Does that mean I get $4M?

From McCracken, Cheryl A 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello erinhi

You won't get anything. Its spam and virus emails that you should not be opening nor clicking on the links as it can cause problems.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Phishing text message from 1-872-204-0378

I received a text message from the above number and I'm posting it is a warning to others. The message says:
"DUE TO SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITES YOUR ONLINE CIBC ACCOUNT HAVE BEEN DISABLE PLEASE VERIFIE ONLINE ACCOUNT TO AVOID SUSPENSION.
http://securesslbanking.net/cibc "

I blocked the number on my phone and so should you.

Good morning @mousetamer!

Thanks for sharing! We should all be on the lookout for these phishing scams and help each other out to avoid them whenever possible.

You may want to report this phishing attempt to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mousetamer wrote:

"DUE TO SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITES YOUR ONLINE CIBC ACCOUNT HAVE BEEN DISABLE PLEASE VERIFIE ONLINE ACCOUNT TO AVOID SUSPENSION.

Many phishing scams have spelling or grammatical errors, just like the six in the above short text. (2 spelling, 2 grammatical, 2 punctuation).

Some people believe this is done on purpose to ensnare the gullible, while others believe it's just stupid criminals. I leave that to you - see sample discussion below:

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/96121/why-do-phishing-emails-have-spelling-and-grammar-...

Anyway, a short message with that many mistakes should instantly send up a red flag.  ESL's may also get caught...

I've Been Around

Valid request??

I received the following email/request from spathak@rogers.com and wondered if it is valid?  .....

Dear User,

You would be blocked from sending and receiving emails if not confirmed within 24hrs of receiving this automated mail.

You are required to update through the link below. 

(Removed potentially malicious link - RogersTony)

Thanks for using Yahoo!
Yahoo Team.

Hello @Bahn2008,

A warm welcome to the Community and great first post! 👍

We appreciate you sharing your recent experience so others can hopefully benefit from the information provided here.

Based on the email described above, it does appear to be a phishing scam and I would recommend reporting the incident to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre:

Online: http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/reportincident-signalerincident/index-eng.htm

By Phone: 1-888-495-8501.

If possible, please take a screen shot of the email and send it to abuse@rogers.com titled  ‘Suspicious Email Received’. Please do not forward us the original email, but instead paste a screen shot into the body of the email before sending.

Just a reminder to never:

• Share personal information.
  • Click on any links or open any attachments if they are suspicious.

For more information and tips on how to handle these types of scenarios, please CLICK HERE

Kind regards!

RogersLaura

Coming on PPV!
Pacquaio vs. Broner Live
LIVE: Saturday January 19, 2019 9PM ET
Preshow: 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!
Live Weigh-In January 18th @ 6PM ET

Promotional content running all day on CH 368 DTV & 430 Ignite TV until January 19th @ 9PM

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 in conversation